Lilongwe PC party

  • John Patten
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2005
      Attached is a photo I found on the web of a Peace
      Corps Malawi party in 1967. don't know if I sent it
      before.

      It could have been any of us only with worse glasses.
      the dancing looks about the same.

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2005
        Looks like Erin's party in Ntcheu without the MoodStick.....
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2005
          Here is a cross-post frmo another Malawi RPCV group. If anyone wnts to
          respond, you can send the email to: bryan_e_quinn@...
          --------

          To: pc-malawi-network@yahoogroups.com
          From: "B Q" <bryan_e_quinn@...> Add to Address Book Add Mobile
          Alert
          Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was sent by
          yahoogroups.com. Learn more
          Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 07:45:06 -0800 (PST)
          Subject: [pc-malawi-network] second posting about research

          Hey ya'll,

          I wrote this email a few months ago. To those of you who gave me some
          feedback, thanks. I am sending it again because I am leaving next week and
          still interested in opinions from people that may have joined the list in
          the past few months or didn't have a chance to write before....

          I am looking for innovative farmers in Lilongwe.

          I am headng to Lilongwe for two months to document innovative urban farming
          practices. The idea is to create a series of grassroots designs for food
          production at the homestead AND community level. The project will culminate
          with a series of renderings that can be distributed as posters for people's
          homes. These posters will function graphically, so the audience does not
          need to be literate.

          The project is action-oriented, I am hoping to use the act of collecting
          data as an educational opportunity (example would be introducing farmers to
          each other, suggetsng additional techniques, pretty much what I was doing as
          a volunteer before). If any of you know any good case studies, or parts of
          Lilongwe that I might want to investigate, please let me know.

          The methodology of the project is pretty simple and straight forward. I am
          basically going around with a small backpack on my shoulders, a tiny digital
          camera, architectural rulers, a pencil box, and some paper. In addition to
          meeting farmers through networking with my friends in Lilongwe, I am also
          walking transects through various parts of town.

          So I am soliciting advice, information, improvements to my methodology,
          connections, ... etc. from anyone interested. Also, forwarded information to
          other list serves that yoou know of could be helpful. Please keep in mind
          this is mainly and educational activity that I am doing with an educational
          grant. I am in the architecture department at the Rhode Island School of
          Design. I have a copy of the project in .pdf form if anyone is interested.

          Finally, anyone with a suggestion of where I could locate some high
          resolution satallite images of Lilongwe so I could look at density of
          settlements, watersheds, and otherwise interesting data not found in normal
          government maps, please let me know.

          thanks much, sincerely,
          Bryan
        • Scott Geibel
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 20, 2005
            I knew a guy who bought some special hybrid maize seed, and then found a
            way to get around the poor-quality soil in his area by using high-grade
            fertilizers to stimulate growth. He had a fantastic harvest and was able
            to sell a large percentage of his crop and feed. Profitability and export
            income was greatly assisted by government price supports for maize.

            This farmer was one of my in-laws in North Dakota, and I feel that this
            innovative approach has great potential for transferability to Malawi. Let
            me know if you need the contact info.

            Best regards- Scott