Re: [ujeni] Help stop genocide in Darfur

  • John Patten
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
      Cathy, points taken. I agree public opinion is what
      can change policy, although in many case it seems to
      be subverted today. My problem is that too often
      people screaming at marches about what do they want,
      when do they want it, fill in the blank, has become
      easy to overcome for officials that do not care about
      other positions. Katrina is a bit different. All
      politics are local.

      The other is about what can it hurt to sign a
      petition. Nothing really, but it gives our folks the
      illusion of helping or progress where none has
      occured. Darfur is far from new.

      Many online petitions additionally are disguised as
      such to cull email addresses either for marketers or
      worse.

      Thanks for the comments. Paul you too. Political
      correctness to me has always been a way for people to
      suppress opinion and kill discussion, and for a brief
      time to become themselves the oppressors. No balance
      anymore on different sides.

      It may kill my bid for the presidential nomination in
      2028, unless you already sent in the photos from
      Likoma.

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
        Alas, those fotos are in reserve for your run in the Diet......