Re: [ujeni] Help stop genocide in Darfur

  • Don & Cathy Weber
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
      From: "John Patten" <jppatten98@...>
      To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 6:27 PM
      Subject: Re: [ujeni] Help stop genocide in Darfur

      > I try to work in my own way, but what I wont do
      > anymore is pretend I am helping the situation by
      > signing petitions or joining useless protest marches.
      >
      > Feel free to write back with a critique of my analysis
      > without using the words patriarchal or patronizing.

      ********

      Ok John, I feel free to reply.

      I agree with with you, email petitions are too easy and then too easy to
      ignore. Real letters sent by real mail used to be the best attention
      getters because they were recognized as taking more thought and effort on
      the part of the sender. But, since 9/11 it takes weeks to get to Pres.
      et.al. because of inspection time. Email letters, because of volume, may or
      may not be read. Back when Gore and Clinton were supporting the drug
      companies' claims that they needed the AIDS drugs prices to stay high and no
      independent copies, they did respond to postal letters (or staff members
      did) with two-page specific answers backing and explaining (???) their
      position. Hey, though, the public demonstrations and protest clamor at the
      Seattle WTO meeting with lots of media pick-up seemed to have had an effect,
      if you can judge by the timing of their about-face...partial though it might
      have been.

      Public opinion can change policy...if you can't believe that, then you have
      to give up this democracy idea. You just have to embarass 'em enough.
      Hurricane Katrina victims seem to be doing that. Hard way to go about it!

      And how can signing a petition hurt?...unless, of course, you feel satisfied
      so then that's all you do when you feel strongly about something.

      Tsalani bwino...Cathy
    • John Patten
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
        Cathy, points taken. I agree public opinion is what
        can change policy, although in many case it seems to
        be subverted today. My problem is that too often
        people screaming at marches about what do they want,
        when do they want it, fill in the blank, has become
        easy to overcome for officials that do not care about
        other positions. Katrina is a bit different. All
        politics are local.

        The other is about what can it hurt to sign a
        petition. Nothing really, but it gives our folks the
        illusion of helping or progress where none has
        occured. Darfur is far from new.

        Many online petitions additionally are disguised as
        such to cull email addresses either for marketers or
        worse.

        Thanks for the comments. Paul you too. Political
        correctness to me has always been a way for people to
        suppress opinion and kill discussion, and for a brief
        time to become themselves the oppressors. No balance
        anymore on different sides.

        It may kill my bid for the presidential nomination in
        2028, unless you already sent in the photos from
        Likoma.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
          Alas, those fotos are in reserve for your run in the Diet......