Help stop genocide in Darfur

  • kristen cheney
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
      Africa Action needs more signatures on this Darfur position. I hope you'll take a moment to sign if you haven't already.

      Thanks,
      Kristen

       --- the forwarded message follows ---

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
        My initial reaction these days to signatures on
        petition drives is that they are inefective activism
        in todays world. There must be a better way to
        influence political decisions because I know of few
        instances today that these things do anything. If the
        Iraq war is not a clear example of political decisions
        being made before the fact irregardless of what the
        public thinks then I dont know what is.

        The fact that the UN is heading it up gives me even
        more concern. Operation Lifeline Sudan started as a
        what was supposed to be a temporary measure in 1989
        and here we are 16 years later dealing with the same
        issue. Its about political will, or lack thereof, and
        the UN keeps holding conferences about building
        awareness, as they have done ineffectually for the
        last forty years. Its not about awareness anymore.

        I deal with UNAMA on a weekly basis in Afghanistan.
        Our feeling there is that the UN does little, talks a
        lot, and use too many resources in the process. UNOPS
        has been costing us a criminal 40 percent overhead in
        order that UN staff can have the best houses in the
        country, the best vehicles, and huge salaries to be
        sure they can get out on holiday every six weeks. WFP
        additionally is corrupt here. I honestly dont know
        what the UN collectively does with their 13 various
        branches. Its become a bloated, morally bankrupt
        institution.

        Afghans ask me why do UN employees come from Sudan and
        Bangladesh to help the Afghan context when their
        countries need skills so greatly? They can only
        conclude its for the money and one familys security.
        Many of this staff is simply unqualigfied and got
        their positions through institutionalized nepotism.

        I try to work in my own way, but what I wont do
        anymore is pretend I am helping the situation by
        signing petitions or joining useless protest marches.

        Feel free to write back with a critique of my analysis
        without using the words patriarchal or patronizing.

        today<http://capwiz.com/africaaction/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=7495271>¡¦>

        here<http://capwiz.com/africaaction/lmx/u/?jobid=59205062>

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
          Why, you patronizing patriarchal thinkyouknowitall.....those are sour grapes
          only because UN did not hire you....

          However, you do bring up some interesting points:

          1. Re: On-line petitions: they are along the lines of those hoax things and
          urban legends...do little good, since no one is ever going to take it
          seriously, not that they would take seriously any type of petition, since no
          PAC money comes with it.

          2. Re: UN: it is a bloated organization; to get more detail, read The Lords
          of Poverty, and that was 30 years ago; UN workers are like ineffective
          Gurkha soldiers: I say ineffective, because at least the Gurkhas provide
          EXCELLENT security for various and sundry organizations and countries;
          however they do hire themselves out and do an excellent job. Your friend is
          right: if they wree truly goods at what they did, they would stay in their
          country and fix what is wrong. It has a long way to go to get out frmo
          under the UN Oil scandal...Maybe John Bolton is just the ticket...

          That said, if I were in their shoes I would do the same thing: Get the hel
          out of the hellhole and look out for #1...Similarly to the visa applicants I
          see each day: some of them want to go to the US and work at some fast food
          restaurant and make $1,000 per month, and send $600 home to their famileis.
          Their job is to get to the US, my job is to stop them. If I were in their
          shoes, I would probably do the same thing.

          3. Re: Dafur: What I am about to say might be harsh, but it is also
          realistic: what is in Darfur for us???

          The reason I ask is that an ex-president apologized for inaction in Rwanda
          when I experienced the genocide there (I was there before Malawi). He swore
          that the Western World would never ignore a problem...but they
          do...Historically, we intervene when ther is something for us: A lecturer
          at the State Dept once said (these were HIS words, not State's): A country
          will only do what is in its interests, and will NOT do what is NOT in its
          interest...

          What you should fight for is to get Darfur IN our interest. Weren't there
          groups of "Lost Boys" frmo Sudan who emigrated to the US and went in various
          and sundry communities in the US? Where are they now, and why are they not
          fighting for their country? Why are they not organizing sit-ins, and
          marches, and such???

          4. Intervention of any type needs to be carefully planned...Did we not feed
          the starving in Ethiopia in 1985 or so? Now they are so well nourished that
          they are not developing their country and helping their fellow man, but
          fighting over a border of which no one really knows the location...

          Okay, bring it on....I deserve it....I am sure....but at lkeast this is a
          politically correct-free zone...I hope....

[...]

          that UN staff can have the best hous s in the country, the best vehicles,
          and huge salaries to be sure they can get out on holiday every six weeks.
          WFP additionally is corrupt here. I honestly dont know what the UN
          collectively does with their 13 various branches. Its become a bloated,
          morally bankrupt institution.

          Afghans ask me why do UN employees come from Sudan and Bangladesh to help
          the Afghan context when their countries need skills so greatly? They can
          only conclude its for the money and one familys security. Many of this staff
          is simply unqualigfied and got their positions through institutionalized
          nepotism.

          I try to work in my own way, but what I wont do anymore is pretend I am
          helping the situation by
          signing petitions or joining useless protest marches.

          Feel free to write back with a critique of my analysis without using the
          words patriarchal or patronizing.
        • Don & Cathy Weber
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
              Cathy, points taken. I agree public opinion is what
              can change policy, although in many case it seems to
              be subverted today. My problem is that too often
              people screaming at marches about what do they want,
              when do they want it, fill in the blank, has become
              easy to overcome for officials that do not care about
              other positions. Katrina is a bit different. All
              politics are local.

              The other is about what can it hurt to sign a
              petition. Nothing really, but it gives our folks the
              illusion of helping or progress where none has
              occured. Darfur is far from new.

              Many online petitions additionally are disguised as
              such to cull email addresses either for marketers or
              worse.

              Thanks for the comments. Paul you too. Political
              correctness to me has always been a way for people to
              suppress opinion and kill discussion, and for a brief
              time to become themselves the oppressors. No balance
              anymore on different sides.

              It may kill my bid for the presidential nomination in
              2028, unless you already sent in the photos from
              Likoma.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
                Alas, those fotos are in reserve for your run in the Diet......