Malawi wells, cheap, cheap!!

  • Joanna Jane Hooper
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi Everyone,

      I received this message from my brother's wife's parents
      (Marty and Helen Wilson), who go down to Malawi every year
      to build wells. This year they are hoping to expand their
      project. I thought you all might be interested in this
      philanthropic opportunity.

      Please feel free to contact Marty & Helen Wilson, their
      contact information is at the bottum of the email, also
      please forward this message on to anyone that you think
      might be interested.

      Joanna Hooper

      Dear Friends,

      Many of you know that Helen and I have been involved with
      a small group called Marion Medical Mission (MMM) which
      has, for twenty years, been making a huge difference in
      the lives of people in the African nation of Malawi, one
      of the poorest countries in the world. Life expectancy in
      Malawi is only 36 years. There are many reasons for this
      dismal statistic, but a major one is a high incidence of
      water borne or sanitation-related disease. Water borne
      disease is the cause of over 80% of the deaths of children
      under five. Typical water sources in the villages are
      open pits used by both livestock and people and polluted
      with almost everything imaginable. Supplying clean, safe
      water is where MMM has made an astounding impact through
      the installation of shallow wells free from surface
      contamination. These wells, over 3,600 built to date, are
      providing safe water for nearly a million people in Malawi
      and saving countless lives and untold misery. But there
      are still millions without safe water, and the situation
      is similar in neighboring Tanzania and Zambia. MMM is
      just beginning to expand the shallow well program into
      these countries where they border on Malawi.

      The incredible thing about the shallow well program is
      what a huge difference a small amount of money can make.
      The wells are a joint effort with the villagers. The
      villagers dig the well, make bricks to line it, and
      provide filtering and concrete work to keep out surface
      contamination. MMM provides field coordination and
      transport, technical help and training, the pump and
      fittings, cement for concrete and mortar, and some
      cheerleading. All this costs $300 per well. If you do
      the math, this amounts to about a dollar per person for
      clean water for life!!!!

      By now I am sure you know where we are going with this!
      In late September, Helen and I are leaving for Malawi,
      along with nine other volunteers, to help install wells.
      The goal for the eleven of us is to get 400 wells in. In
      three weeks, another team will replace us, and expects to
      get another 400 wells installed, a total of 800 for the
      2005 season. MMM currently has money in place for 474
      wells. We need funding for another 326 wells at $300
      each. Each $300 donation goes 100% to the cost of the
      well, not a penny for MMM overhead or volunteer's
      expenses. The $300 buys cement, pipe, pumps, foot valves,
      etc. By the way, everything that can be purchased in
      Malawi is bought there to support the local economy.

      In addition to volunteering, Helen and I have contributed
      for a well. We cannot imagine where $300 could have a
      bigger impact on human lives. If you feel the same way,
      you might like to fund a well yourself. The easiest way
      is to go to the Marion Medical Mission website
      (http://marionmedical.org) for directions for funding a
      well. The website contains additional information about
      the wells and other MMM projects in Malawi. Be sure to
      check out the "before" and "after" pictures of typical
      village water supplies. If you're interested in knowing
      more about the wells themselves click the "Field Manual"
      button.

      If you do choose to contribute, after the well
      installation season is over you will receive a photo of
      the particular well you funded along with many of the
      villagers who will use it. There will be other
      information about the number of families served, the
      village name and location, well depth, etc. And, of
      course, you will see clean water flowing from "your" well.

      Questions??? Give us a call at 970-669-3766, or email us:
      mshbwilson@...

      Have a wonderful summer,

      Marty and Helen Wilson
    • John Patten
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
        Kudos to these individuals who are apparently having
        some positive impact. A small caution though. Yes,
        wells are indicated if there is real committment to
        maintennance, parts, and if there is any contracting,
        reputable installers that dig more than just to the
        water table and cap it correctly using the right parts
        and pipes. All over developing countries there are
        thousands of empty monuments to clean water.

        We drove around with Dutch SF on the Pakistani border
        south of Spin Boldak to talk to the elders and
        evaluate water projects there. There was larger
        funding by Europe, the Japanese, and other NGO
        consortiums. 95 out of every 100 wells did not work
        for the reasons above, and many were put in only three
        months ago.

        I won't let my Field Officers do any well projects
        without addressing the above, plus there are
        environmental concerns over appropriate placement,
        proximity to other wells (some were just over the
        other side of the wall to the neighbors, both dry),
        land rights issues that create conflict and patronage,
        and on and on.

        They are indicated yes, but I am interested in the
        line "for the rest of their lives." Here in
        Afghanistan that amounted to several weeks. I am very
        interested to see data on their past wells as to
        percent that are functional, time elapsed, problems
        encountered, etc.

        I'm getting boring in my old age. Good on them!

        JP

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Vyrle Owens
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005

          Dear all,

          It only takes money to make water run uphill (mostly in California,
          According to a book entitled "Cadillac Desert') and become portable.

          I noticed this interesting piece in Sojourners and the New York Times:

          Thought someone might be interested:

          Thanks to Joanna for bringing up the subject and the opportunity to help
          and to John for a legitimate critique. The article referenced below by
          Tom Standage in the New York Times gives us another idea of how to raise
          the funds.

          Y'all have fun,

          Vyrle Owens

          Got water?
          $46 billion - Amount spent per year globally on bottled water
          $1.7 billion - Amount needed per year beyond current spending to provide
          clean drinking water to everyone on earth
          More than one billion - Number of people worldwide who lack reliable
          access to safe drinking water
          80 - Percentage of world illnesses due to water-borne diseases
          Source: The New York Times

          http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/01/opinion/01standage.html

          August 1, 2005
          Bad to the Last Drop
          By TOM STANDAGE
          London
          IT'S summertime, and odds are that at some point during your day you'll
          reach for a nice cold bottle of water. But before you do, you might want
          to consider the results of an experiment I conducted with some friends
          one summer evening last year. On the table were 10 bottles of water,
          several rows of glasses and some paper for recording our impressions. We
          were to evaluate samples from each bottle for appearance, odor, flavor,
          mouth, feel and aftertaste - and our aim was to identify the interloper
          among the famous names. One of our bottles had been filled from the tap.
          Would we spot it?
          We worked our way through the samples, writing scores for each one. None
          of us could detect any odor, even when swilling water around in large
          wine glasses, but other differences between the waters were instantly
          apparent. Between sips, we cleansed our palates with wine. (It seemed
          only fair, since water serves the same function at a wine tasting.)

          (See the reference above for the rest of the article. It is about 3
          pages.)

          Kudos to these individuals who are apparently having
          some positive impact. A small caution though. Yes,
          wells are indicated if there is real committment to
          maintennance, parts, and if there is any contracting,
          reputable installers that dig more than just to the
          water table and cap it correctly using the right parts
          and pipes. All over developing countries there are
          thousands of empty monuments to clean water.

          I'm getting boring in my old age. Good on them!

          JP

          --- Joanna Jane Hooper <johooper@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > I received this message from my brother's wife's
          > parents
          > (Marty and Helen Wilson), who go down to Malawi
          > every year
          > to build wells. This year they are hoping to expand
          > their
          > project. I thought you all might be interested in
          > this
          > philanthropic opportunity.
          >
          > Please feel free to contact Marty & Helen Wilson,
          > their
          > contact information is at the bottum of the email,
          > also
          > please forward this message on to anyone that you
          > think
          > might be interested.
          >
          > Joanna Hooper

          ---
        • Joanna Jane Hooper
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
            Hey John,

            Please feel free to email Marty to ask him those
            questions.
            I'd be curious to hear the answer myself.

            Joanna

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
              Every head of state should be held responsible if during his/her tenure the
              following are not provided:

              1. Potable running water to all citizens.
              2. Quality education to all citizens.

              If this is done, kids wil spend less time at home sick missing school, and
              absenteeism for working parents will be less. THis translates into more
              money earned to be spent on consumer goods.

              hmmm. More money spent on goods...is this not the goal of any big business?
              Get a healthy population working to earn money to buy its products???
              Unless you are a pharmaceutical company in which case it pays to keep you
              sick...or n long term maintenance medicine.

              I pay $120 per two weeks into Blue Cross Blue Shield to cover me, Gigi and
              Kirsten Paula (can't find coverage for Whistle anywhere.....). In addition
              to that I have a co-pay when I use doctors in the US.

              However, I take a medicine which costs me $35 per three month supply of a
              once weekly medicine. The other contributor to my insurance (you the
              taxpayer) pays $135 to match my $35. so there is almost $14 per dose of
              medicine. I do not think that it costs the company that much to produce,
              and even if they rationalized that they need money for more research to make
              bigger and better (and they forget to mention more expensive) medicine, that
              is what a patent is for...

              Each Viagra pill costs $10 (no John.....). The Veterans Affairs pays for
              this for servicemen who have "service-related disabilities". Imagine if you
              could make some claim that you needed this due to swimming in Lake Malawi,
              or drinking too much Chibuku or something...In theory PC would have to pay
              for that...

              But I digress...sort of. If a citizenry held its elected (or not) leaders
              to this standard they the society would develop. It might cost...The Rev.
              MLK Junior was able to foment social change by doing this. SOmeone once
              asked me the best way to change a government that was not elected. I told
              him "GO march on the presidential office", "But they will shoot us", "Yes
              they will, but the next day get more people", "But some of us will
              die"..."Yes, but then CNN will be watching...

              Paul

              PS: This is how Moussa Traore fell in 1991...no, I was not in Mali when I
              gave that advice.....

              Kudos to these individuals who are apparently having
              some positive impact. A small caution though. Yes,
              wells are indicated if there is real committment to
              maintennance, parts, and if there is any contracting,
              reputable installers that dig more than just to the
              water table and cap it correctly using the right parts
              and pipes. All over developing countries there are
              thousands of empty monuments to clean water.

              I'm getting boring in my old age. Good on them!

              JP

              --- Joanna Jane Hooper <johooper@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > I received this message from my brother's wife's
              > parents
              > (Marty and Helen Wilson), who go down to Malawi
              > every year
              > to build wells. This year they are hoping to expand
              > their
              > project. I thought you all might be interested in
              > this
              > philanthropic opportunity.
              >
              > Please feel free to contact Marty & Helen Wilson,
              > their
              > contact information is at the bottum of the email,
              > also
              > please forward this message on to anyone that you
              > think
              > might be interested.
              >
              > Joanna Hooper

              ---
            • John Patten
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 2005
                Dude, and this is not a critique on your discourse,
                but I have to hand it to you for including in the same
                couple of paragraphs Blue Cross, Moussa Traore, your
                dog, Chibuku, Martin Luther King, Viagra, and
                selective annihilation by the police state shown live
                on CNN. You forgot to add folk music from the 1930s
                and the Crusades. Columbia is part of the drug trade,
                yes?

                But I digress, dude I'm decades away from Viagra. I'd
                rather spend the ten bucks on a couple of pints of
                Guinness. And I wish I had your health plan. I gotta
                pay 500 a month.

                If if if if if. I can't even get my agency to have the
                political will to committ to signing my request for a
                printer.

                JP

                === message truncated ===

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 5, 2005
                  Priorities, my son...priorities.....

                  --- Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...> wrote:

                  > Every head of state should be held responsible if
                  > during his/her tenure the
                  > following are not provided:
                  >
                  > 1. Potable running water to all citizens.
                  > 2. Quality education to all citizens.
                  >
                  > If this is done, kids wil spend less time at home
                  > sick missing school, and
                  > absenteeism for working parents will be less. THis
                  > translates into more
                  > money earned to be spent on consumer goods.
                  >
                  > hmmm. More money spent on goods...is this not the
                  > goal of any big business?
                  > Get a healthy population working to earn money to
                  > buy its products???
                  > Unless you are a pharmaceutical company in which
                  > case it pays to keep you
                  > sick...or n long term maintenance medicine.
                  >
                  > I pay $120 per two weeks into Blue Cross Blue Shield
                  > to cover me, Gigi and
                  > Kirsten Paula (can't find coverage for Whistle
                  > anywhere.....). In addition
                  > to that I have a co-pay when I use doctors in the
                  > US.
                  >
                  > However, I take a medicine which costs me $35 per
                  > three month supply of a
                  > once weekly medicine. The other contributor to my
                  > insurance (you the
                  > taxpayer) pays $135 to match my $35. so there is
                  > almost $14 per dose of
                  > medicine. I do not think that it costs the company
                  > that much to produce,
                  > and even if they rationalized that they need money
                  > for more research to make
                  > bigger and better (and they forget to mention more
                  > expensive) medicine, that
                  > is what a patent is for...
                  >
                  > Each Viagra pill costs $10 (no John.....). The
                  > Veterans Affairs pays for
                  > this for servicemen who have "service-related
                  > disabilities". Imagine if you
                  > could make some claim that you needed this due to
                  > swimming in Lake Malawi,
                  > or drinking too much Chibuku or something...In
                  > theory PC would have to pay
                  > for that...
                  >
                  > But I digress...sort of. If a citizenry held its
                  > elected (or not) leaders
                  > to this standard they the society would develop. It
                  > might cost...The Rev.
                  > MLK Junior was able to foment social change by doing
                  > this. SOmeone once
                  > asked me the best way to change a government that
                  > was not elected. I told
                  > him "GO march on the presidential office", "But
                  > they will shoot us", "Yes
                  > they will, but the next day get more people", "But
                  > some of us will
                  > die"..."Yes, but then CNN will be watching...
                  >
                  > Paul
                  >

                  > PS: This is how Moussa Traore fell in 1991...no, I
                  > was not in Mali when I
                  > gave that advice.....

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs