In Case of Emergency (ICE)

  • Eric Bone
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 28, 2005

      I thought this was a safety tip that would be worthwhile to disseminate.

      The weblink is http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/14/ice_mobile/

      -Eric

      In case of emergency, dial 'ICE'

      By Peter Abrahams, IT-Analysis
      Published Thursday 14th July 2005 13:52 GMT

      In view of the recent events in London, East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of Emergency (ICE)" campaign, with the support of Falklands war hero Simon Weston and in association with Vodafone's annual life savers award.

      The idea is that you store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".

      In an emergency situation, ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's as simple as that, and for more than one contact name you can use ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31, 2005
        Yes, for a while, I was thinking of tatooing my SS# and USA in my armpit, or
        on the sole of my foot, but didn't/...

        Maybe now tht I will be working in a more dangerous section, I might
        reconsinder.....

[...]

        ---------------------------------
      • Joanna Jane Hooper
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1 7:57 AM
          Hi Everyone,

          I received this message from my brother's wife's parents
          (Marty and Helen Wilson), who go down to Malawi every year
          to build wells. This year they are hoping to expand their
          project. I thought you all might be interested in this
          philanthropic opportunity.

          Please feel free to contact Marty & Helen Wilson, their
          contact information is at the bottum of the email, also
          please forward this message on to anyone that you think
          might be interested.

          Joanna Hooper

          Dear Friends,

          Many of you know that Helen and I have been involved with
          a small group called Marion Medical Mission (MMM) which
          has, for twenty years, been making a huge difference in
          the lives of people in the African nation of Malawi, one
          of the poorest countries in the world. Life expectancy in
          Malawi is only 36 years. There are many reasons for this
          dismal statistic, but a major one is a high incidence of
          water borne or sanitation-related disease. Water borne
          disease is the cause of over 80% of the deaths of children
          under five. Typical water sources in the villages are
          open pits used by both livestock and people and polluted
          with almost everything imaginable. Supplying clean, safe
          water is where MMM has made an astounding impact through
          the installation of shallow wells free from surface
          contamination. These wells, over 3,600 built to date, are
          providing safe water for nearly a million people in Malawi
          and saving countless lives and untold misery. But there
          are still millions without safe water, and the situation
          is similar in neighboring Tanzania and Zambia. MMM is
          just beginning to expand the shallow well program into
          these countries where they border on Malawi.

          The incredible thing about the shallow well program is
          what a huge difference a small amount of money can make.
          The wells are a joint effort with the villagers. The
          villagers dig the well, make bricks to line it, and
          provide filtering and concrete work to keep out surface
          contamination. MMM provides field coordination and
          transport, technical help and training, the pump and
          fittings, cement for concrete and mortar, and some
          cheerleading. All this costs $300 per well. If you do
          the math, this amounts to about a dollar per person for
          clean water for life!!!!

          By now I am sure you know where we are going with this!
          In late September, Helen and I are leaving for Malawi,
          along with nine other volunteers, to help install wells.
          The goal for the eleven of us is to get 400 wells in. In
          three weeks, another team will replace us, and expects to
          get another 400 wells installed, a total of 800 for the
          2005 season. MMM currently has money in place for 474
          wells. We need funding for another 326 wells at $300
          each. Each $300 donation goes 100% to the cost of the
          well, not a penny for MMM overhead or volunteer's
          expenses. The $300 buys cement, pipe, pumps, foot valves,
          etc. By the way, everything that can be purchased in
          Malawi is bought there to support the local economy.

          In addition to volunteering, Helen and I have contributed
          for a well. We cannot imagine where $300 could have a
          bigger impact on human lives. If you feel the same way,
          you might like to fund a well yourself. The easiest way
          is to go to the Marion Medical Mission website
          (http://marionmedical.org) for directions for funding a
          well. The website contains additional information about
          the wells and other MMM projects in Malawi. Be sure to
          check out the "before" and "after" pictures of typical
          village water supplies. If you're interested in knowing
          more about the wells themselves click the "Field Manual"
          button.

          If you do choose to contribute, after the well
          installation season is over you will receive a photo of
          the particular well you funded along with many of the
          villagers who will use it. There will be other
          information about the number of families served, the
          village name and location, well depth, etc. And, of
          course, you will see clean water flowing from "your" well.

          Questions??? Give us a call at 970-669-3766, or email us:
          mshbwilson@...

          Have a wonderful summer,

          Marty and Helen Wilson
        • John Patten
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2 6:56 AM
            Kudos to these individuals who are apparently having
            some positive impact. A small caution though. Yes,
            wells are indicated if there is real committment to
            maintennance, parts, and if there is any contracting,
            reputable installers that dig more than just to the
            water table and cap it correctly using the right parts
            and pipes. All over developing countries there are
            thousands of empty monuments to clean water.

            We drove around with Dutch SF on the Pakistani border
            south of Spin Boldak to talk to the elders and
            evaluate water projects there. There was larger
            funding by Europe, the Japanese, and other NGO
            consortiums. 95 out of every 100 wells did not work
            for the reasons above, and many were put in only three
            months ago.

            I won't let my Field Officers do any well projects
            without addressing the above, plus there are
            environmental concerns over appropriate placement,
            proximity to other wells (some were just over the
            other side of the wall to the neighbors, both dry),
            land rights issues that create conflict and patronage,
            and on and on.

            They are indicated yes, but I am interested in the
            line "for the rest of their lives." Here in
            Afghanistan that amounted to several weeks. I am very
            interested to see data on their past wells as to
            percent that are functional, time elapsed, problems
            encountered, etc.

            I'm getting boring in my old age. Good on them!

            JP

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Vyrle Owens
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3 8:17 PM

              Dear all,

              It only takes money to make water run uphill (mostly in California,
              According to a book entitled "Cadillac Desert') and become portable.

              I noticed this interesting piece in Sojourners and the New York Times:

              Thought someone might be interested:

              Thanks to Joanna for bringing up the subject and the opportunity to help
              and to John for a legitimate critique. The article referenced below by
              Tom Standage in the New York Times gives us another idea of how to raise
              the funds.

              Y'all have fun,

              Vyrle Owens

              Got water?
              $46 billion - Amount spent per year globally on bottled water
              $1.7 billion - Amount needed per year beyond current spending to provide
              clean drinking water to everyone on earth
              More than one billion - Number of people worldwide who lack reliable
              access to safe drinking water
              80 - Percentage of world illnesses due to water-borne diseases
              Source: The New York Times

              http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/01/opinion/01standage.html

              August 1, 2005
              Bad to the Last Drop
              By TOM STANDAGE
              London
              IT'S summertime, and odds are that at some point during your day you'll
              reach for a nice cold bottle of water. But before you do, you might want
              to consider the results of an experiment I conducted with some friends
              one summer evening last year. On the table were 10 bottles of water,
              several rows of glasses and some paper for recording our impressions. We
              were to evaluate samples from each bottle for appearance, odor, flavor,
              mouth, feel and aftertaste - and our aim was to identify the interloper
              among the famous names. One of our bottles had been filled from the tap.
              Would we spot it?
              We worked our way through the samples, writing scores for each one. None
              of us could detect any odor, even when swilling water around in large
              wine glasses, but other differences between the waters were instantly
              apparent. Between sips, we cleansed our palates with wine. (It seemed
              only fair, since water serves the same function at a wine tasting.)

              (See the reference above for the rest of the article. It is about 3
              pages.)

              Kudos to these individuals who are apparently having
              some positive impact. A small caution though. Yes,
              wells are indicated if there is real committment to
              maintennance, parts, and if there is any contracting,
              reputable installers that dig more than just to the
              water table and cap it correctly using the right parts
              and pipes. All over developing countries there are
              thousands of empty monuments to clean water.

              I'm getting boring in my old age. Good on them!

              JP

              --- Joanna Jane Hooper <johooper@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > I received this message from my brother's wife's
              > parents
              > (Marty and Helen Wilson), who go down to Malawi
              > every year
              > to build wells. This year they are hoping to expand
              > their
              > project. I thought you all might be interested in
              > this
              > philanthropic opportunity.
              >
              > Please feel free to contact Marty & Helen Wilson,
              > their
              > contact information is at the bottum of the email,
              > also
              > please forward this message on to anyone that you
              > think
              > might be interested.
              >
              > Joanna Hooper

              ---
            • Joanna Jane Hooper
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4 8:19 PM
                Hey John,

                Please feel free to email Marty to ask him those
                questions.
                I'd be curious to hear the answer myself.

                Joanna

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 4 9:03 PM
                  Every head of state should be held responsible if during his/her tenure the
                  following are not provided:

                  1. Potable running water to all citizens.
                  2. Quality education to all citizens.

                  If this is done, kids wil spend less time at home sick missing school, and
                  absenteeism for working parents will be less. THis translates into more
                  money earned to be spent on consumer goods.

                  hmmm. More money spent on goods...is this not the goal of any big business?
                  Get a healthy population working to earn money to buy its products???
                  Unless you are a pharmaceutical company in which case it pays to keep you
                  sick...or n long term maintenance medicine.

                  I pay $120 per two weeks into Blue Cross Blue Shield to cover me, Gigi and
                  Kirsten Paula (can't find coverage for Whistle anywhere.....). In addition
                  to that I have a co-pay when I use doctors in the US.

                  However, I take a medicine which costs me $35 per three month supply of a
                  once weekly medicine. The other contributor to my insurance (you the
                  taxpayer) pays $135 to match my $35. so there is almost $14 per dose of
                  medicine. I do not think that it costs the company that much to produce,
                  and even if they rationalized that they need money for more research to make
                  bigger and better (and they forget to mention more expensive) medicine, that
                  is what a patent is for...

                  Each Viagra pill costs $10 (no John.....). The Veterans Affairs pays for
                  this for servicemen who have "service-related disabilities". Imagine if you
                  could make some claim that you needed this due to swimming in Lake Malawi,
                  or drinking too much Chibuku or something...In theory PC would have to pay
                  for that...

                  But I digress...sort of. If a citizenry held its elected (or not) leaders
                  to this standard they the society would develop. It might cost...The Rev.
                  MLK Junior was able to foment social change by doing this. SOmeone once
                  asked me the best way to change a government that was not elected. I told
                  him "GO march on the presidential office", "But they will shoot us", "Yes
                  they will, but the next day get more people", "But some of us will
                  die"..."Yes, but then CNN will be watching...

                  Paul

                  PS: This is how Moussa Traore fell in 1991...no, I was not in Mali when I
                  gave that advice.....

                  Kudos to these individuals who are apparently having
                  some positive impact. A small caution though. Yes,
                  wells are indicated if there is real committment to
                  maintennance, parts, and if there is any contracting,
                  reputable installers that dig more than just to the
                  water table and cap it correctly using the right parts
                  and pipes. All over developing countries there are
                  thousands of empty monuments to clean water.

                  I'm getting boring in my old age. Good on them!

                  JP

                  --- Joanna Jane Hooper <johooper@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Everyone,
                  >
                  > I received this message from my brother's wife's
                  > parents
                  > (Marty and Helen Wilson), who go down to Malawi
                  > every year
                  > to build wells. This year they are hoping to expand
                  > their
                  > project. I thought you all might be interested in
                  > this
                  > philanthropic opportunity.
                  >
                  > Please feel free to contact Marty & Helen Wilson,
                  > their
                  > contact information is at the bottum of the email,
                  > also
                  > please forward this message on to anyone that you
                  > think
                  > might be interested.
                  >
                  > Joanna Hooper

                  ---
                • John Patten
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 5 5:42 AM
                    Dude, and this is not a critique on your discourse,
                    but I have to hand it to you for including in the same
                    couple of paragraphs Blue Cross, Moussa Traore, your
                    dog, Chibuku, Martin Luther King, Viagra, and
                    selective annihilation by the police state shown live
                    on CNN. You forgot to add folk music from the 1930s
                    and the Crusades. Columbia is part of the drug trade,
                    yes?

                    But I digress, dude I'm decades away from Viagra. I'd
                    rather spend the ten bucks on a couple of pints of
                    Guinness. And I wish I had your health plan. I gotta
                    pay 500 a month.

                    If if if if if. I can't even get my agency to have the
                    political will to committ to signing my request for a
                    printer.

                    JP

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 5 11:49 PM
                      Priorities, my son...priorities.....

                      --- Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...> wrote:

                      > Every head of state should be held responsible if
                      > during his/her tenure the
                      > following are not provided:
                      >
                      > 1. Potable running water to all citizens.
                      > 2. Quality education to all citizens.
                      >
                      > If this is done, kids wil spend less time at home
                      > sick missing school, and
                      > absenteeism for working parents will be less. THis
                      > translates into more
                      > money earned to be spent on consumer goods.
                      >
                      > hmmm. More money spent on goods...is this not the
                      > goal of any big business?
                      > Get a healthy population working to earn money to
                      > buy its products???
                      > Unless you are a pharmaceutical company in which
                      > case it pays to keep you
                      > sick...or n long term maintenance medicine.
                      >
                      > I pay $120 per two weeks into Blue Cross Blue Shield
                      > to cover me, Gigi and
                      > Kirsten Paula (can't find coverage for Whistle
                      > anywhere.....). In addition
                      > to that I have a co-pay when I use doctors in the
                      > US.
                      >
                      > However, I take a medicine which costs me $35 per
                      > three month supply of a
                      > once weekly medicine. The other contributor to my
                      > insurance (you the
                      > taxpayer) pays $135 to match my $35. so there is
                      > almost $14 per dose of
                      > medicine. I do not think that it costs the company
                      > that much to produce,
                      > and even if they rationalized that they need money
                      > for more research to make
                      > bigger and better (and they forget to mention more
                      > expensive) medicine, that
                      > is what a patent is for...
                      >
                      > Each Viagra pill costs $10 (no John.....). The
                      > Veterans Affairs pays for
                      > this for servicemen who have "service-related
                      > disabilities". Imagine if you
                      > could make some claim that you needed this due to
                      > swimming in Lake Malawi,
                      > or drinking too much Chibuku or something...In
                      > theory PC would have to pay
                      > for that...
                      >
                      > But I digress...sort of. If a citizenry held its
                      > elected (or not) leaders
                      > to this standard they the society would develop. It
                      > might cost...The Rev.
                      > MLK Junior was able to foment social change by doing
                      > this. SOmeone once
                      > asked me the best way to change a government that
                      > was not elected. I told
                      > him "GO march on the presidential office", "But
                      > they will shoot us", "Yes
                      > they will, but the next day get more people", "But
                      > some of us will
                      > die"..."Yes, but then CNN will be watching...
                      >
                      > Paul
                      >

                      > PS: This is how Moussa Traore fell in 1991...no, I
                      > was not in Mali when I
                      > gave that advice.....

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs