today's news

  • Don & Cathy Weber
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2005
      Christine, good stuff today. All of it interesting. Reading about the "don't go there" point on Mulanje reminded me of so many stories I/we heard during our 2 years. I never ceased to be amazed about the strength of belief in a myth/legend by Malawian friends who I felt had enough sophistication to be a doubter. Remember the hundreds of thousands who traveled to "the tree" to drink the water in which the magic bark had been immersed? It was the medical panacea of the time. I had many a conversation at work about the phenomenon.

      I also noted that Tony Blair agrees with me that neighboring countries of Zimbabwe need to acknowledge the problems in Zimbabwe and presumably take some kind of action. Of course I'm also reading that Malawi's President Mutharika is in the doghouse with the "old guard" so I guess it's asking too much of their politicans to take time out from their self-serving agenda to look beyone their borders (except for aid. Is that too cynical Paul).  Don