RE: [ujeni] Malawi gets snubbed

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2005
      Can't be becasue they did not turn over those terrorists a while back....

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2005
        Paul, if your reason is valid does that mean, in the new scheme of things
        of being benevolent to those African nations in need, that Malawi will
        continue to be snubbed by the U.S. as long as the Bush administration
        exists? This is a question I ask in all seriousness because your response
        sounds plausible. Don

        > Can't be becasue they did not turn over those terrorists a while back....

      • Jesse Kwiek
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2005
          Actually,
          Malawi did comply with the US "war on terror" and hand over 5 Muslim men in the summer of 2003.. it was quite the issue in Malawi-- Malawian Magistrates made a ruling that Malawi should not hand over the men to the US, but by morning they were gone-- purportedly whisked away on a private jet to Zimbabwe; the men surfaced a couple of months later in the Sudan (I think).
          I was in Blantyre at the time and my coworkers were quite worried that the US was going to bomb them, as they all recalled Bush's state of the Union address that year, "we will not differentiate between terrorists and those who harbor terrorists..". They joked that Malawi was such a thin (geographically) country that maybe the bombers would miss the country and the bombs would fall into the lake. Anyhow, as a result of the illegal apprehension, an American priest(preacher?) was assaulted, a charity office was burned and there was low grade rioting in Limbe and BT.  A couple of men were shot dead in riots in Kasungu.
          See the BBC stories:

          Jesse

          On 15 Jun 2005, at 12:24, Don & Cathy Weber wrote:

          Paul, if  your reason is valid does that mean, in the new scheme of things
          of being benevolent to those African nations in need, that Malawi will
          continue to be snubbed by the U.S. as long as the Bush administration
          exists? This is a question I ask in all seriousness because your response
          sounds plausible.  Don

          > Can't be becasue they did not turn over those terrorists a while back....

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2005
            I am saying that US would not overlook Malawi since they DID turn over those
            guys....It was a while ago that they did this but it hit the newsd and hit
            hard, since people were up in arms (but not the bad guys) that Malawi had
            extradited them with some wierd things going on...But the hue and cry died
            out after a while...

            SO the key is....help fight the war on terrorism, and you might get low
            interest loans, recognition, etc.....

            but if you don't...