Thank you Kristen

  • Don & Cathy Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2005
      Kristen, Thank you for rejuvenating the Ujeni. (I had figured most everyone had left the Ujeni as evidenced by the lack of dialogue for awhile).  I know that was not your intent but you obviously touched some nerves, including yours.

      While reading opinions and references I've also been surprised and pleased to hear from Jesse and about his family, tickled by Elizabeth's description of motherhood as she knows it and Dan's response to my wife that we could take up bank robbery as a geezer, leisure time activity. What a dynamic duo we would be; a guy with a replacement knee and a fused ankle trying to make a quick getaway and his deaf partner not hearing the cop saying, "Stop or I'll shoot".

      I've been trying to frame a response to the pros @ cons of the debt relief. I had some opening remarks but couldn't construct a conclusion that even made sense to me. Basically it was a pessimistic view of the willingness of power structure to quit the corruption and work for the good of their countries. My narrow reference was Malawi.

      I've taken so long that my input will not be used by the G8 nations as they have forged ahead and decided to agree to cancel the debt. My question therefore is, "Now what". I just am very pessimistic. I can't envision the various Ministers of Whatever or fund managers who have thrived in a culture of skimming/robbing all of the sudden becoming altruistic. Will there be any enforcement to ensure all of the aid (or at least most of it) will reach its' target?  Maybe if funds were made available for enforcement, including prosecution, the local governments might be optimistic about monitoring.

      Anyway, thank you again Kristen and those who chimed in. I'm going to pay more attention to the issue and hope my pessimism changes and my understanding becomes clearer.

      Don

    • kristen cheney
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2005
        Unintentional, indeed, Don! I never learn my lesson, but at least it's
        aroused some dialogue. What irks me most is the patronizing tenor of
        the conversation, which leaves *me* very cynical (about 'us,' not
        'them')... I was also going to forward an invitation to endorse Sen.
        Boxer's new clean ocean bill, but then I thought about it: if we
        cleaned up the oceans, all the 'big fish' would probably just hoard
        the clean water for themselves. And the other fish might enjoy clean
        water for a short while, but then they'll immediately end up shitting
        in it and muddying it up again, so why bother? I don't really want my
        hard-earned tax dollars going to such unworthy fish without my
        consent.

        ;o) Kristen

        --
        "So we starve all the teachers