Re: [ujeni] Call Bush Today to Cancel African Debt

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 9, 2005
      Cathy, dear Cathy...always the voice of reason...

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 9, 2005
        Yes, aren't baby sneezes great??????? Whudda thunk?????

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 10, 2005
          thank you dan, kathy, eric and vyrle for elevating the dialog about debt
          forgiveness above the bombast and bile i was engaged in.

          vyrle, i really liked the religious arguments in favor of forgiveness.
          the idea of allowing 'our better angels' to aid governance is a good
          one. problems arise in determining exactly which set of angles we are
          talking about. but, as is pointed out, usury will get a hit in nearly
          every religious convention.

          then again, we return to a few fundamental problems, eg. the truly
          rotten people that control some african countries. they will range from
          the merely irresponsible to the downright dangerous. does it even
          matter? maybe not. if the practice of forgiveness provides a blood
          thirsty tyrant the means to extend his grip on power, that is something
          the forgivers should be willing to accept responsibility for. does that
          offset the 'goodness' of the act of forgiveness?

          as eric says, better maybe to wield the debt itself as an instrument for
          shaping the poor nations into something we feel is more representative
          of their citizenry. ahh, but who better than 'us' to decide? there is a
          colossal conceit in that sort of thinking. but we are drawn into those
          thoughts whenever we contemplate how to help people. and poor nations
          encourage us to do so when they request assistance. it's much harder to
          help people than most people would guess. the act of accepting
          assistance is an act of surrender, a diminishing freedom. i suppose that
          is what is meant by 'neocolonialism'. however, in too many cases the
          alternative is to look away from humanitarian horrors. so, i can't
          condone the sort of name calling that surrounds this issue. both parties
          are responsible for the state of affairs.

          dan and kathy (and me and paul i suppose), are analogies to personal
          finance appropriate? maybe. the debt forgiveness is certain to affect at
          least one person profoundly, the leader of the nation being forgiven.
          the elite in poor nations are such a small group, but they are the
          interface with the west. even as peace corps, i spent much more time
          speaking to good english speakers, who tended to be relatively well off,
          if not completely elite. it's only natural. i guess that i'm trying to
          get back to the idea that this act of forgiveness is really just an
          agreement between two very small groups of people, and is of almost no
          consequence to the vast majority of the poor. as such, it is an
          enticement for certain individuals to behave irresponsibly (or
          opportunity to behave well, depending on your point of view).

          one thing that isn't mentioned is that the nations are always free to
          quit making payments on their debt. they chose not to do that. i assume
          that this is because they'd like to remain in the good graces of the
          imf, so they can borrow more. this, in turn, makes me think that debt
          relief will be very short lived. but, i'd be delighted to be wrong.

          finally, a lot of energy is being devoted to this issue. that's been one
          of the biggest problems for me. there is a great deal of interest in
          seeing africa improve its lot, but not very many ideas about how to help
          them do that. the ones that get a lot of play on the left generally
          involve forking over a hefty sum of cash (but trivial in terms of gdp,
          blah, blah, i know). those on the right generally fall into the
          'liberalizing markets' plans. those are the plans that are probably
          responsible for much of the change in malawi dan mentions.

          i think that the cash assistance programs display a naivete about human
          nature.

          i think that the market driven solutions are all too often guided by the
          narrow self interest of people that are selling something.

          we are a group keenly interested in seeing africa benefit. what policy
          choices should we really get behind. that's the real question.

          i don't know the answer. if i did, maybe i'd start writing to the list
          in CAPITAL LETTERS, urging you to CALL BUSH TODAY.

          but i doubt it.

          thanks to all for the engaging discussion.
        • Don & Cathy Weber
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 10, 2005
            Hi Dan...

            It's so good to "hear" your voice. I don't know what to think either. It's
            not an easy, clear-cut issue, is it?

            I'm also glad to hear that Lilongwe is experiencing some good development.
            We were saddened, as we wrote, about what we saw in Blantyre, and Limbe was
            a disaster. Downtown Blantyre had some completed bigger buildings that were
            under construction by the time we left in '96. But, the main PTC was closed
            and empty. The 2 Whitetex fabric stores were closed and empty. The one
            fast food chicken place that opened when we were there was closed and empty.
            However, we did find a tiny little pizza place. (The Hosteria was closed
            but said it was moving). As we said there were no more buses...only
            minivans in a real state of disrepair. There is a new shopping center with
            a bright shiny supermarket with high, high prices...a package of biscuits
            there was almost 3 times the price as the same biscuits at another store.
            The clientele was probably 90% azungu. Across the street was a glitzy
            office complex...owned by Muluzi. The Central Bookstore is now at the
            shopping center...it's tiny, tiny, tiny...probably 1/10th the size of the
            store downtown. The same guy in the wheelchair owns and operates it. He
            said that it's now the only bookstore in Malawi???? Can't beleve there is
            none in Lilongwe. Malawian friends in Blantyre were feeling discouraged.
            Maybe Blantyre has outlived its day as the trade/economic center of the
            country and that Lilongwe will take on the role. It may be a natural
            phenomenon that historically has happened to cities around the world. Our
            view of the country on our trip back was narrow.

            Did you receive a copy of a CARE document about worldwide education of
            girls? Malawi ranked in overall rates of dropout by 5th grade 69th out of
            71 countries and was used as an example of one of the failing
            countries...with a 40% increase of dropouts in the last 10 years. The
            statistics may be based on the fact that 11 years ago every kid rushed to
            school because of the excitement of free education and this is a natural
            dropoff. However, the goals for new teachers and new classrooms couldn't be
            met. Do you think education could get a boost from debt relief? On a
            Library of Congress wall "The foundation of every state is the education of
            its children."

            I hate to feel discouraged about a country I love so much. I must say that
            politically it may be on the upswing, I feel very hopeful about that.

            It seems to me that some years ago select countries received debt
            forgiveness. Am I imagining this? If it happened, does anyone know the
            results in those countries? Might give some insight.

            Retirement gives one too much time to pontificate. Gotta go clean the
            house.

            Cathy

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 10, 2005
              Well, if you get bored, here is something that you and Don could take up.
              HA/HA

              http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8168846/?GT1=6657

              Dan

            • vyrle
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 10, 2005

                Dear Elizabeth and all,

                I truly appreciate the depth and breadth of this discussion so far, even if we tend to deal in quite broad generalities. I am a bit afraid of more details because as we get more specific we can get adversarially argumentative instead of cooperatively searching for truth.

                Anyway, Elizabeth, you (and all other parents dealing with the excretions of the very young) are performing the most important task in human development, nurture. Keep up the good work.

                Dolly and I are visiting our youngest grandson, who you may recall this time last year was in the Yale University neonatal ICU having entered the world at 26 weeks (or so) and not expected to live very long or very well. He has now celebrated the 1 year anniversary of that traumatic experience and is off the machines, weighs 19 pounds, stands on his own, and acts just like a normal baby of his size, weight, gender, and age. I am so very pleased by his progress and apparent arrival at "normality." But I must give much credit to his mother, our daughter, career woman, fashion model, who has spent the last year pretty much confined to daily trips to New Haven or staying at home (when he came home last January) to ensure his survival and success. Would we all be so blessed with selflessness.

                Eric, I also am not aware that any society has truly implemented the "jubilee". Whether this is a myth, part of an allegory, or parable I know not. But the laws and philosophies of the Old Testament inform a great deal of the christian world today, for good or bad. It would be nice if we rejected that which is/was obviously not so good and seriously consider that which is/was better and workable. During the nineteenth century (and probably other times) small isolated groups tried to live by some of these more positive principles. None of them exist in there idealized forms today. In the USA there was the Oneida community in Ohio, the United Order of the Mormon church, the Shakers in Kentucky, and others. It would be better to develop a more broad based and generally relevant form of idealized society.

                One of our problems is that we want to accomplish all of this in one generation. We are probably dealing with several millenia of ongoing effort. I hope we can do what is right.

                Vyrle

                From: "Elizabeth Bell" <elizabeth_bell@...>
                Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 21:49:43 -0400