Re: [ujeni] news: Uranium mine to transform Karonga

  • Scott Geibel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
      I have very mixed feelings about this. I just don't know. And this doesn't
      even touch on my concerns about nuclear power. From what I can tell, if
      the Uranium price stays stable and continue to rise, then this mine is highly
      likely to move forward if the Malawians cooperate.

      Since this mine is fairly close to my PC site, I would like to see the company
      be as socially responsible as possible. So how to do this? So I need advice:
      (a) form an advocacy group, (b) form a Malawian Monkey Wrench Gang, or (c)
      become a shareholder of the company and try to influence management at the
      AGM, use stock dividends to pay school fees for nearby villages?

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
        (a) form an advocacy group: Quite effective in some places, but I fear the
        dollar bills dancing in their heads would outweigh any social conscience.
        Call me a cynic
        (b) form a Malawian Monkey Wrench Gang. Not a bad idea...Who would be
        Geroge Hayerduke
        (c)become a shareholder of the company and try to influence management at
        the
        AGM, use stock dividends to pay school fees for nearby villages: Not likely,
        but then again, this is cynical me, basing my responses on years of
        experience dealing with this....

        Solve the self/tribal/ethinic/lingual/religious self-interest and you