RE: [ujeni] news: Uranium mine to transform Karonga

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
      For sale to the highest bidder.....wonder if more people will be
      mysteriously air lifted from Malawei again.....

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
        Scott, kind of like how oil companies have transformed
        vilagers lives in remote Nigeria, Angola, Congo,
        Sudan.

        I wonder if they'll feed the runoff into the lake?

        __________________________________
        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
      • Joanna Jane Hooper
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2005
          Interesting article Scott. Do you have any idea how
          Malawi will ensure that this Australian company doesn't
          just come in, take the vast majority of the profits, bring
          mostly their own employees, and leave the Malawians to do
          the skut work--how do developing countries deal with this?
          Will Malawi actually profit, or will the spoils all go
          back to Australia?

          Joanna

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2005
            If history serves, then the higher-up employees will be Australian, the
            worker bees will be Filipino, and the janitors and drivers and such will be
            local, with the relative pay scales.

            Of course, some Malawins will benefit, but their license plate numbers are
            quite low.....

            But that is just cynical me.....
          • Scott Geibel
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
              I have very mixed feelings about this. I just don't know. And this doesn't
              even touch on my concerns about nuclear power. From what I can tell, if
              the Uranium price stays stable and continue to rise, then this mine is highly
              likely to move forward if the Malawians cooperate.

              Since this mine is fairly close to my PC site, I would like to see the company
              be as socially responsible as possible. So how to do this? So I need advice:
              (a) form an advocacy group, (b) form a Malawian Monkey Wrench Gang, or (c)
              become a shareholder of the company and try to influence management at the
              AGM, use stock dividends to pay school fees for nearby villages?

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
                (a) form an advocacy group: Quite effective in some places, but I fear the
                dollar bills dancing in their heads would outweigh any social conscience.
                Call me a cynic
                (b) form a Malawian Monkey Wrench Gang. Not a bad idea...Who would be
                Geroge Hayerduke
                (c)become a shareholder of the company and try to influence management at
                the
                AGM, use stock dividends to pay school fees for nearby villages: Not likely,
                but then again, this is cynical me, basing my responses on years of
                experience dealing with this....

                Solve the self/tribal/ethinic/lingual/religious self-interest and you