news: Uranium mine to transform Karonga

  • Scott Geibel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
      This is an interesting development, which I've been monitoring for a while.
      The article greatly overexagerates the national-level economic impact, but
      the operational facts check out.

      Uranium mine to transform Karonga
      by Francis Tayanjah-Phiri, 26 May 2005 - 14:01:38

      Malawi?s northern town of Karonga is sitting on a fortune which is anticipated
      to turn the economy of the country around should both government and investors
      take it seriously.
      The project, lying on the northern part of the Northern Rukuru River basin
      within Karroo Sandstones, is also expected to transform the livelihood of
      people in Karonga.
      The investors, Paladin Resources Limited, a company listed on the Australian
      Stock Exchange, is talking big of how the Uranium deposits at Kayelekera,
      40 kilometres west of Karonga along the Chitipa road, could make Malawi
      swim in money.
      Going by the Uranium captains? zeal, one would say town planners? better
      act fast before they are overtaken by events in this already growing town.
      Currently, Paladin Africa Limited, a company founded by the mother Australian
      firm to run the Karonga uranium initiative, has already started erecting
      a camp on the mine site. Immediately this camp finishes, maybe in a week
      or two, what they call ?bankable feasibility studies? would start.
      ?We have finished marking the drilling sites and are ready for a process
      we term assaying ? which is establishing how much uranium there is down
      here.
      ?This process would involve metallurgy, which is a treatment test ? how
      to take the uranium out of the rock ? and this test would be done by independent
      experts, Mintek of South Africa, with other samples also sent to Australia
      for diverse laboratory tests,? says Paladin Resources? chief geologist,
      Ed Becker.
      Becker, in the company of Project Geologist, Alexander Kathewera said prospects
      of going full throttle mining within a couple of years are high .
      ?The current process of bankable feasibility studies would be done by independent
      consultants, and this would involve drilling a total of 5,500 metres on
      different sites within the uranium territory and we have 120 drill holes
      earmarked,? he said.
      The geologists also said in two months time the mine site would boast of
      its own modern weather station used to indicate weather. This, he said,
      is a requirement in the uranium mining process.
      ?Currently we are acquiring the equipment from South Africa,? he said.
      Kathewera and Becker also say the ongoing feasibility studies would involve
      a thorough environmental impact study ? to be done by an independent company,
      just like the other phases of the study.
      Focus of the study, says Becker, is detailed verification of the new mining/milling
      concepts planned to be adopted in the project and validation or modification,
      if required, of all other mine model parameters used in the 1990 feasibility
      study.
      This new study will be done in two stages and is expected to take 18 months
      to complete.
      The 1990 feasibility studies were conducted by the Central Electricity Generating
      Board in Great Britain (CEGB), a company that initially discovered the high
      grade Kayelekera sandstone uranium deposits in early 1980s.
      That company carried out extensive work on the project and completed the
      feasibility studies in 1991. Their studies indicated that the project was
      uneconomic, using the mining model they adopted ? and later, it was abandoned
      in 1992, largely due to poor outlook for uranium and the privatisation of
      CEGB, pressurising the company to return to its core business.
      But one sees the seriousness of the new investors in their mine initiative
      when told that the company (Paladin Resources) has injected US$2 million
      ? whose end results would determine the total capital investment for the
      mine.
      ?However, from our preliminary studies, we estimate the mine would require
      about $60 million to fully start operating as a mine,? said Becker.
      Once mining starts, it is expected that several other business activities
      will crop up in Karonga and Malawi as a whole. For instance, Paradin Resources
      top management talks of the requirement to have a daily commercial flight
      to and from Karonga, which automatically brings back to life the Karonga
      Airport.
      It is expected that the bulk of core trained employees of the mine would
      net a monthly income of approximately $1,000 ? which would automatically
      mean transformation of lives in Karonga, as these people would do most of
      their shopping in that town.
      The bulk of the employees would be residing at Karonga town and commute
      by company bus every day to the mine site at Kayelekera. This translates
      into a booming demand of residential houses in the town.
      The frequency of officials flying from Australia and other countries where
      Paradin Resources has mining investments would also necessitate decent accommodation
      and restaurants in the town ? obviously boosting the tourism industry.
      Village head Kayelekera beams with pride when he visualises how the mine
      would transform lives of people in his area.
      ?The first thing I think of is that my village would be transformed, all
      of a sudden poverty would either completely go, or be alleviated. People
      in my village solely depend on subsistence farming, which has not taken
      us anywhere. Now they will have a chance to work on the mine,? he says.
      It is all clear that once the project becomes operational it will have a
      great impact on and make a difference on the people of the town and Malawi
      as a whole
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
        For sale to the highest bidder.....wonder if more people will be
        mysteriously air lifted from Malawei again.....

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
          Scott, kind of like how oil companies have transformed
          vilagers lives in remote Nigeria, Angola, Congo,
          Sudan.

          I wonder if they'll feed the runoff into the lake?

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
        • Joanna Jane Hooper
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2005
            Interesting article Scott. Do you have any idea how
            Malawi will ensure that this Australian company doesn't
            just come in, take the vast majority of the profits, bring
            mostly their own employees, and leave the Malawians to do
            the skut work--how do developing countries deal with this?
            Will Malawi actually profit, or will the spoils all go
            back to Australia?

            Joanna

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2005
              If history serves, then the higher-up employees will be Australian, the
              worker bees will be Filipino, and the janitors and drivers and such will be
              local, with the relative pay scales.

              Of course, some Malawins will benefit, but their license plate numbers are
              quite low.....

              But that is just cynical me.....
            • Scott Geibel
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
                I have very mixed feelings about this. I just don't know. And this doesn't
                even touch on my concerns about nuclear power. From what I can tell, if
                the Uranium price stays stable and continue to rise, then this mine is highly
                likely to move forward if the Malawians cooperate.

                Since this mine is fairly close to my PC site, I would like to see the company
                be as socially responsible as possible. So how to do this? So I need advice:
                (a) form an advocacy group, (b) form a Malawian Monkey Wrench Gang, or (c)
                become a shareholder of the company and try to influence management at the
                AGM, use stock dividends to pay school fees for nearby villages?

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
                  (a) form an advocacy group: Quite effective in some places, but I fear the
                  dollar bills dancing in their heads would outweigh any social conscience.
                  Call me a cynic
                  (b) form a Malawian Monkey Wrench Gang. Not a bad idea...Who would be
                  Geroge Hayerduke
                  (c)become a shareholder of the company and try to influence management at
                  the
                  AGM, use stock dividends to pay school fees for nearby villages: Not likely,
                  but then again, this is cynical me, basing my responses on years of
                  experience dealing with this....

                  Solve the self/tribal/ethinic/lingual/religious self-interest and you