Re: Christines news

  • Don & Cathy Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      Did I miss something when we were in Malawi?  The only national treatment program I knew of back in 1995 was to put an AIDS patient in a little bed with another patient (with still another patient on a mattress on the floor between beds) and hope their guardians took care of them.  Now if they had TB, maybe multidrug resistant but who knew because there was no testing, you gave them TB meds.  Oh, I forgot there were 2 programs...the man with the magical tree bark potion and the rich guys paying for drugs from out of the country.  I guess I just never considered those national treatment programs.  Malawi couldn't have afforded a national treatment program if they are talking about the use of antiretrovirals at a time when our drug companies wouldn't budge on costs and invoked the WTO patent rules against cheap copies.    Cathy

      **********

      Malawi: Concern Over Aids Treatment Delays

      UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

      May 30, 2005
      Posted to the web May 31, 2005

      Johannesburg

      Malawians needing anti-AIDS treatment have been placed on waiting lists due to the government's drug rollout plan being plagued by delays.

      Although the national treatment programme was implemented more than 10 years ago, the Malawi Network of People living with HIV/AIDS (MANET+) said there had been delays of up to six months in some areas.

      MANET+ director Victor Kamanga told a radio station operated by the Malawi Institute of Journalism that people in the advanced stage of AIDS infection and in urgent need of antiretrovirals were being turned away.

      The government recently said it planed to use US $20 million from the Global Fund to treat 44,000 HIV-positive people by the end of June 2005.

    • Scott Geibel
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005

        The article could be confusing the national TB DOTS program--which I remember very well in 1996--with the national HIV HAART program. Or more likely they meant to say 10 months ago, as the government rolled out the HIV treatment program about this time last year.

        On a side note, I remember at our health IST at Senga Bay in 1997, a PC doctor based at Zomba (name?? Hazel??) gave us a presentation on how she wanted to start giving pregnant women AZT at Zomba D.H. Some of us who worked in DHs thought she was nuts—the DH staff we worked with implementing this program? Right. And the patients adhering to it? Get real. Turns out her idea was simply ahead of its time, because it’s happening now. Amazing.- Scott