Is this for real?

  • Matthew McNulty
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26 11:30 AM
      Quote of the Week
      "Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes that you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."
                             -- President Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1952

      Do You Yahoo!?
    • Kenneth Shockley
      Message 2 of 9 , May 26 11:49 AM
        See http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/ike.asp
        Yep, its for real.

        --On Thursday, May 26, 2005 11:30 AM -0700 Matthew McNulty
        <mcnurty@...> wrote:

        > Quote of the Week
        > "Should any political party attempt to abolish social security,
        > unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you
        > would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a
        > tiny splinter group, of course, that believes that you can do these
        > things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional
        > politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible
        > and they are stupid." -- President Dwight D.
        > Eisenhower, 1952

        ------------------------------------
        Kenneth Shockley
        Assistant Professor
        Department of Philosophy
        University at Buffalo
        Buffalo, NY 14260
        716-645-2444 x111
        http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~kes25/
        Message 3 of 9 , May 29 9:40 PM
          Real? Yes...

          True, in this day and age? Why not, we do not seem to mind that our
          government has the authority (not the power, but the authrity) to sneak into
          our daily lives, sich as bank accounts, internet records, library records,
          etc., all in the namer of the Patriot Act...

          If you have a few days to spare, read the multi-hundred page Patriot Act,
          and ask yourselves how your elected representatives could have voted for
          something that was still wet with ink when it was vote dupon, and quite soon
          at that.....

          ------------------------------------
          Kenneth Shockley
          Assistant Professor
          Department of Philosophy
          University at Buffalo
          Buffalo, NY 14260
          716-645-2444 x111
          http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~kes25/
        • Scott Geibel
          Message 4 of 9 , May 30 4:02 AM
            Yes. Our congressmen should spend more time reading the Patriot Act, and
            stop wasting time blocking presidential nominees such as Bolton. Okay, I
            don't know much about Bolton, although I concede that his duets with Kenny
            G were a gross error in judgment. However, he seems to have paid a price
            with his fall from fame, and has atoned for his indescretions by cutting
            his hair. The President deserves an up or down vote on Bolton!

          • John Patten
            Message 5 of 9 , May 30 4:41 AM
              Scott, yes but Bolton is an imitator that can't write
              his own songs. If Bush wants to impress me he should
              just go ahead and nominate Otis Redding instead. And
              Otis never would have gone in for the mullet look.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 30 6:10 AM
                Ha...you are learning how the gov. works......

                "I will finally give you what you want (Bolton's confirmation), when I get
                what I...er my constituents want"........

                Time will tell....

                Remember the framed quote on my office wall in Lilongwe...:

                QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

                PSD

                Yes. Our congressmen should spend more time reading the Patriot Act, and
                stop wasting time blocking presidential nominees such as Bolton. Okay, I
                don't know much about Bolton, although I concede that his duets with Kenny
                G were a gross error in judgment. However, he seems to have paid a price
                with his fall from fame, and has atoned for his indescretions by cutting
                his hair. The President deserves an up or down vote on Bolton!

                Service.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 30 6:11 AM
                  I think you are confusing John Bolton with Michael Bolton...

                  PSD

                  --- Scott Geibel <scott@...> wrote:

                  > Yes. Our congressmen should spend more time reading
                  > the Patriot Act, and
                  > stop wasting time blocking presidential nominees
                  > such as Bolton. Okay, I
                  > don't know much about Bolton, although I concede
                  > that his duets with Kenny
                  > G were a gross error in judgment. However, he seems
                  > to have paid a price
                  > with his fall from fame, and has atoned for his
                  > indescretions by cutting
                  > his hair. The President deserves an up or down vote
                  > on Bolton!

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • John Patten
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 30 9:54 AM
                    Dude, that was the joke. We're not retards. I mean if
                    I saw a sign that said "wet floor" it doesn't mean I
                    would do it.

                    Maybe your signature should be PTSD instead.

                    Sorry, I just saw Mean Girls and am a bit
                    disconcerted.

                    I love you man.

                    JP

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 31 7:39 PM
                      That is straight out of Saving Silverman....what a classic.......