Re: [ujeni] Most of you are smart, what are your thoughts?

  • John Patten
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21 6:15 PM
      Matt,

      I read the whole thing and don't know whether to
      commit suicide or go bowling.

      I put this synthetic oil from Mobile in my car once
      and it worked great. Can't we just make a big batch of
      that stuff?

      Actually, I agree people don't like to be confused
      with reality. We have to wait until things
      deteriorate, but then still may not see it.

      On balance, some other unforeseen factors inevitably
      come into play that were not part of the equation at
      the time. I'm not confident with current
      neoconservatives driving some of this, but can take
      solace in the fact that the article appeared in
      Rolling Stone, and in the same issue they said Nelly
      had really phat rhymes, so it's not infallible.

      I saw on Battlestar Galactica once that many of those
      spacecraft run on electro-magnetism. Is anyone
      exploring that? Those things seem kind of heavy just
      to sit there in the air.

      In the meantime, I'm going to build a small cottage on
      Likoma to run to, and grow small plants for
      travellers.

      JP

      --- Matthew McNulty <mcnurty@...> wrote:

      > >The Long Emergency
      > >
      > >What's going to happen as we start running out of
      > cheap gas to guzzle?
      > >
      > >By JAMES HOWARD KUNSTLER
      > >Rolling Stone.com, March 2005
      > >

      > >A few weeks ago, the price of oil ratcheted above
      > fifty-five dollars a
      > >barrel, which is about twenty dollars a barrel more
      > than a year ago.
      > The
      > >next day, the oil story was buried on page six of
      > the New York Times
      > >business section. Apparently, the price of oil is
      > not considered
      > >significant
      > >news, even when it goes up five bucks a barrel in
      > the span of ten
      > days.
      > >That
      > >same day, the stock market shot up more than a
      > hundred points because,
      > CNN
      > >said, government data showed no signs of inflation.
      > Note to clueless
      > >nation:
      > >Call planet Earth.
      > >
      > >Carl Jung, one of the fathers of psychology,
      > famously remarked that
      > "people
      > >cannot stand too much reality." What you're about
      > to read may
      > challenge
      > >your
      > >assumptions about the kind of world we live in, and
      > especially the
      > kind of
      > >world into which events are propelling us. We are
      > in for a rough ride
      > >through uncharted territory.
      > >
      > >It has been very hard for Americans -- lost in dark
      > raptures of
      > nonstop
      > >infotainment, recreational shopping and compulsive
      > motoring -- to make
      > >sense
      > >of the gathering forces that will fundamentally
      > alter the terms of
      > everyday
      > >life in our technological society. Even after the
      > terrorist attacks of
      > >9/11,
      > >America is still sleepwalking into the future. I
      > call this coming time
      > the
      > >Long Emergency.
      > >
      > >Most immediately we face the end of the
      > cheap-fossil-fuel era. It is
      > no
      > >exaggeration to state that reliable supplies of
      > cheap oil and natural
      > gas
      > >underlie everything we identify as the necessities
      > of modern life --
      > not to
      > >mention all of its comforts and luxuries: central
      > heating, air
      > >conditioning,
      > >cars, airplanes, electric lights, inexpensive
      > clothing, recorded
      > music,
      > >movies, hip-replacement surgery, national defense
      > -- you name it.

> [...]
      === message truncated ===

      "Think of where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

      http://mail.yahoo.com