small ps

  • John Patten
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2005
      Hi again folks,

      We have been so happy lately that I forgot to give a
      more complete update on Eriko's condition. I should
      thank one of my friends for pointing that out as I was
      typing in the middle of the night, being the excited
      proud papa just coming back again from the hospital.
      The fact is we're just both so relieved that baby and
      mother are doing well, and Eriko was of course visibly
      relieved immediately after the birth.

      Eriko really did suffer, and all our attention was
      with her constantly in the days before and certainly
      now the days after. When Eriko�fs water broke, it was
      still 8 hours before Hanako was born. It�fs usually
      1-2 hours after. Eriko�fs body gave out to exhaustion
      after four days with no sleep and she couldn�ft have
      the contractions anymore, plus the baby's heart rate
      went down, so she had to start the IV drugs to induce
      the labor. They almost had to do an emergency
      C-Section, but surprisingly enough at that point she
      had a normal and relatively quick birth once moved to
      the delivery room and the contractions came back. I
      was sitting with her every minute, but it was hard not
      being able to do much and watch her go through that.

      I�fm happy to report three days on Eriko is doing fine
      and recovering, and is as much the focus of our
      attention as our cute little girl. Eriko seems very
      happy now and comfortable in the hospital here as she
      can really communicate with the other mothers and
      staff about what they are all going through. She's
      pretty stoic anyway, but if you were to ask her if
      there is any post-partum depression, she'd probably
      say "What, are kidding me?"

      Here they let you stay a week, which is what she
      wanted, to get the proper care after such a difficult
      time. In any case she will still be there until the
      9th, but I go every day for the maximum time they
      allow me.

      The name Hanako is very traditional Japanese and means
      spring flower, which she is. Kathleen is my mother's
      name and she has been of such primary importance in
      all of our lives, it's good that it seemed to fit so
      well with Hanako.

      All for now, thanks for listening to our (my) excited
      verbosity.

      JP

      "Think of where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

      Yahoo! Messenger
    • Joanna Jane Hooper
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2005
        John,

        Congratulations! That's wonderful!! I'm glad your wife
        and baby are doing well!

        Joanna