baby issues

  • John Patten
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2005
      Cathy,

      The baby is due on March 30th-April 2nd. I will arrive
      in Japan from here on the 25th and stay a month.

      Although, our travel office booked me to the wrong
      country, so hopefully will get that straightened out.

      Can I ask our ladies here who have had a baby about
      two things? It seems cold Japanese doctors have it
      backwards. They have their own "style" about what they
      do or do not do, and it seems the woman has little
      input or it will be too much stress and argument.

      I've been trying to do research on episiotomies and
      epidurals to see the latest thought. I know their are
      benefits/drawbacks to each, but I would hope their
      doctors would take a thoughtful approach and decide
      what is most appropriate during the process. That does
      not seem the case. It seems like they will do one
      anyway the first time a woman pushes. They still have
      the old way of thinking that a baby will be brain
      damaged if you don't.

      I guess she can't argue with the doctor, but we can't
      just change hospitals because others are far away and
      this one is near the home. They have a different
      system where things have to be planned ahead of time.
      We can't just show up at another one.

      What do you think? If you want to respond to my
      personal email that would be fine too.

      Thanks,
      JP

      --- Don & Cathy Weber <weber@...> wrote:
      > Gee, John, just goes to show that the press is
      > always exaggerating. Bet the
      > Afghans are happy you're fixing them so soon!
      >
      > We received the ghost pictures. She's benign, I
      > take it.
      >
      > If I've asked you once I've asked...if not a hundred
      > times...at least 2 or 3
      > times but can't seem to remember; when is your baby
      > due? I seem to think
      > it's March. When do you go to Japan? After you fix
      > Afghanistan, I suppose.
      >
      > Love to you and Eriko and small Patten....Cathy
      >
      > **********
      > From: "John Patten" <jppatten98@...>
      >

      > > Scott,
      > >
      > > Great cartoon. To update you from here just fyi,
      > we
      > > plan to have Afghanistan fixed by Wednesday the
      > 23rd.
      > > Although that week may be Narooz, the New Year's
      > > holiday, so we may have to push it back to the
      > > weekend.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Luz Huntington
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2005
        John,
        I will try to tackle your two questions as best I can...

        I think your best bet is to make your ideal situation known to the
        physician/practice prior to delivery. Given the opportunity, state to the
        physician what your preferences are, all going smoothly. This will give the
        physician time to mull it over even if he/she initially disagrees. Your
        stated wishes will come up again during labor and the MD will remember what
        you would like. I think that's your best bet especially if the physician
        doesn't want to completely acknowledge your wishes.

        Its also good to be flexible. Definitely state your ideal situation but be
        open to your options once the labor is in progress. One never really knows
        how they will handle labor pain or even if your baby size and mom's pelvis
        are a good match. We cant really control these things and have to be open to
        suggestions as the labor progresses.

        Personal ancedote, Violet arrived too quickly so an epidural or other pain
        meds were not an option. Believe me, the breathing stuff works. Practicing
        the breathing and focusing techniques really does help. Also getting up and
        walking around in early labor is very effective as well. Sometimes your
        first instinct is to lay down during the contractions but getting up and
        moving around may help move things along.

        Hope that helps. Good Luck. Luz