Recent Malawi News

  • Don & Cathy Weber
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2005
      I was alarmed and disgusted when initially reading about Malawi's President breaking away from UDF. Alarmed because I thought it would be political suicide and disgusted to learn of hints of an assassination plot. This was the same kind of knee jerk reaction that toppled former President for Life Banda when his civil rights record was criticized in the early 90's.

      I see that wa Mutharika has been successful for now and has gained some support for his newly formed party. We were in Malawi just after the elections last year and the people were cautiously optimistic a good man had been chosen in spite of being hand picked by Maluzi. Maybe, just maybe, money will be able to be siphoned toward the people as opposed to the politicians and the quality of life will improve.

      Regarding paying medical personnel proper wages. Everybody agrees with that and what a remarkable feat it would be if health care became accessible to all. As I see it, the major stickler in luring the doctors and nurses to return is absolutely ensuring they WILL be paid "at the end of the day". That may be an impossibility if the same payroll mechanisms stay in place. How do you convince those who you are trying to recruit, "Trust us".

      Cathy & I continue to enjoy news from the homefront, Christine, so keep it coming. Don