news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Feb 4, 2005
      I Didn't Steal, Denies Muluzi

      The Post (Lusaka)

      February 3, 2005
      Posted to the web February 3, 2005

      Amos Malupenga
      Maputo

      I AM not corrupt nor did I steal when I served as president, former
      Malawian president Bakili Muluzi said yesterday.

      In an exclusive interview, Muluzi said he was waiting to see anyone who
      will come up with evidence of his corruption or theft while in
      government. He said what was happening in Malawi now was a process of
      transition and every transition had its own problems.

      Muluzi was yesterday among the international dignitaries who attended
      the inauguration ceremony of newly elected Mozambican President Armando
      Guebuza in Maputo.

      Muluzi, who is still chairman of the ruling United Democratic Front
      (UDF), said nobody should stop the law from taking its course if there
      was a proven case of corruption against anyone, including himself.

      "I am not corrupt, neither did I lead a corrupt government," Muluzi
      said. "I think you know that I come from a business background, I come
      from the private sector. I was doing business long before I became
      President. I left Dr Kamuzu Banda's government as a minister and went
      into very active business." Muluzi described as 'empty' any talk
      suggesting that he was involved in corruption.

      He said it was his administration that established the Anti Corruption
      Bureau in Malawi through the assistance of the British government in a
      bid to enhance democracy and the rule of law.

      He said nobody had quarrels with any fight against corruption for as
      long as there was no witch-hunting and if things were done
      professionally. Asked if he lived in fear that sooner or later the law
      will catch up with him, Muluzi replied: "What have I done? I didn't
      steal."

      And asked to clear the air about the complaints from Malawians that he
      was driving a very posh car with a personalised number plate, Muluzi
      wondered if Malawians were not entitled to drive posh cars. He said the
      car in question was bought six years ago through instalment payments
      although he could not remember how much he paid for it.

      And asked how his current personal relationship with his successor
      Mbingu wa Mutharika is, Muluzi said he is still very supportive. He said
      he met Wa Mutharika many years ago when the latter was in COMESA. Muluzi
      said at that time he was in the private sector although he was the first
      president of COMESA.

      He said he knew Wa Mutharika for a number of years and that is why he
      nominated him to take over from him as Malawi's President.

      "So there is no way I can't support him now when I supported him five
      months ago," Muluzi said.

      Asked if he thought that Wa Mutharika was fighting him after nominating
      him as his predecessor, Muluzi said he did not think it was fighting per
      se.

      He said Malawians just want the role UDF played in ushering Wa
      Mutharika in government to be recognised.

      "That's all they are asking for," he said.

      And asked to comment about the expulsion of Bingu wa Mutarika from the
      party, Muluzi said that Mutarika has not been expelled from the party,
      contrary to media reports.

      He said Malawians were just discussing the relationship between the
      ruling United Democratic Front (UDF) and the government because at one
      time President Mutarika said UDF was not the ruling party.

      "So people got angry with that," Muluzi said.

      "They said how can we not be ruling when we supported you? But it is
      not true that the President has been expelled from the party."

      And asked if he could compare what was happening in Malawi to what was
      happening in Zambia as it related the fight against corruption, Muluzi
      said the two could not be compared.

      "You have former president Chiluba who is in court and that is why I
      don't know if we should be comparing," Muluzi said.

      Muluzi was saddened with the emerging trend in Africa where retiring
      presidents are being perceived to be thieves.

      "This is strange and I don't understand this. I fought Kamuzu Banda for
      40 years and he locked me up seven times," Muluzi said.

      Asked if he fought Kamuzu because he believed that he stole from the
      Malawian people, Muluzi replied: "I was fighting his dictatorship not
      his being a thief because we didn't have evidence that he had stolen. I
      perceived Kamuzu more of a dictator than a thief. I am a believer in
      democracy and because we didn't have evidence of theft, we didn't
      witch-hunt."

      He said the tendency of witch-hunting should come to an end because
      more time is being spent on the same at the expense of fighting poverty
      and working to develop poor African nations.

      And Muluzi said he was settling down very well as former president and
      he has gone back to his private sector business.

      He said his being chairman of UDF is also keeping him very busy.

      "As you know before I even became president I was a transporter. I
      owned a number of buses so I have gone back to that business. I also own
      several houses which I have put on rent and I can say that my businesses
      are doing very well," he said.

      There has been a rift within the ruling UDF, with members divided over
      their loyalty between Muluzi and President Wa Mutharika. Members loyal
      to Muluzi feel Wa Mutharika is ungrateful, alleging that he is
      victimising leaders of the previous regime, including his predecessor.

      Meanwhile Dr Kenneth Kaunda, who missed President Guebuza's
      inauguration ceremony, said he was happy to join the celebration even at
      that late hour.

      Dr Kaunda said Africa was now getting used to changing leadership
      peacefully and harmoniously.

      He praised the opposition RENAMO party and the people of Mozambique for
      the peaceful change.

      Dr Kaunda said he was delighted that the opposition that was going to
      cause problems in the end changed and accepted the people's decision.

      He said he was in Mozambique to congratulate the Mozambicans on the
      peaceful change of leadership.

      "I hope Zambians will learn from what is happening here," Dr Kaunda
      said.

      "Changes will always take place because that is human development but
      we have to learn to behave in a decent way whenever there is change. I
      am talking to the opposition and government in Zambia. They have to come
      together and find solutions to our people's problems. They have a duty
      to Zambians. And there is nothing personal in what I am saying."

      And former Mozambican president Joachim Chissano handed over power to
      his successor President Guebuza at a colourful ceremony witnessed by
      among others President Mwanawasa, South African president Thabo Mbeki,
      Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe, Bingu wa Mutarika, Festus Mogae of Botswana,
      Benjamin Mkapa, Brazilian President Lula da Silva, former Tanzanian
      president Ali Hassan Mwinyi, prime minister from Swaziland and
      Botswana's former president Sir Ketumile Masire.

      President Guebuza pledged to fight poverty and empower women in
      national development.

      And Tanzanian President Benjamin Mkapa has observed that African
      politicians do not accept the fact of losing.

      In an interview on Tuesday, President Mkapa said one of the problems of
      African transition was that parties that lose do not want to accept the
      fact of losing. He said this they do not because they have evidence but
      because no one accepted defeat in Africa. He said this was wrong because
      when somneone enters a competition, they should expect either a win or a
      loss.

      "The best way of consolidating the spirit of competition is to be ready
      to accept that when there is a justified victory and justified loss we
      should accept that," President Mkapa said.

      He said the election results in Mozambique were a reflection of
      people's aspirations for stability and development. President Mkapa said
      the presence of the various heads of state in Maputo to witness the
      inauguration of Mozambique's President elect Armando Gebuza should be
      interpreted as their commitment to reinforce the determination of the
      people of Mozambique to see that the transition offered continuation and
      consolidation of unity, development and posperity.

      And President Mwanawasa said people had the right to complain through
      established channels including the courts of law but should accept
      results once the courts throw out their complaints with the contempt
      they deserve.

      "If people want to complain, let them air their grievances and
      eventually if they are thrown out with the contempt they deserve, let it
      be," President Mwanawasa said on arrival at Maputo Airport.

      He said even in Mozambique, it was clear that there was room for
      aggrieved parties to complain because the losing opposition Renamo party
      petitioned the results although they lost the case.

      *****

      Tanzanian coalition to fight female genital mutilation

      Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

      04 February 2005 01:04

      Seven NGOs in Tanzania have formed a coalition to fight female genital
      mutilation (FGM), a practice that is still widespread in the East
      African country.

      "Various studies have shown that at least 18% of women in Tanzania are
      victims of FGM," Hellen Kijo-Bisimba, the coalition's coordinator, said
      in Dar es Salaam on Friday, ahead of its official launch on February 6.

      She said FGM is rampant in central and north-eastern Tanzania where, in
      some communities, up to 100% of women undergo the ritual, which involves
      the removal of parts of the female sex organs.

      "The main objective of the coalition is to intensify the campaign
      against this dangerous and unhealthy cultural practice," she said.

      "Rallies, public condemnation campaigns and counselling to elders,
      opinion leaders and school children carried out by various activists
      appear to be bearing fruit. In some parts of the country, ngaribas
      [traditional circumcisers] have stopped the practice."

      Kijo-Bisimba said that after counselling, at least 300 Ngaribas have
      surrendered the tools of their trade -- knives and blades -- to village
      authorities. Some have even joined the anti-FGM crusade, she added.

      "There is also increased awareness and goodwill among the clergy and
      politicians at the grassroots," she said. "But what is most important is
      the fact that many parents are now against genital mutilation of their
      daughters, which was not the case in the past."

      "Some religious leaders now openly condemn the practice in their
      sermons, while in some villages by-laws against FGM and other repugnant
      cultures have been enacted," said Kijo-Bisimba, MD of the
      non-governmental Legal and Human Rights Centre.

      She said until a few years ago, uncircumcised women from ethnic
      communities -- such as the Maasai and Kurya in the north, as well as the
      Rangi and Nyaturu in the central parts of the country -- were subjected
      to public ridicule.

      "They were regarded as uninitiated, outcasts and dirty," Kijo-Bisimba
      said.

      Other NGOs in the coalition are the Tanzania Women Lawyers'
      Association, the Tanzania Media Women Association, the Anti-Female
      Genital Mutilation Network, Women Wake Up, the Network against Female
      Genital Mutilation, and the Dodoma Inter-African Committee on
      Traditional Practices Affecting Health of Women and Children.

      The coalition's launch on Sunday will coincide with the marking of the
      International Day on Zero Tolerance to FGM. The national marking of the
      day will take place in Tanzania's administrative capital, Dodoma.

      The director of the media women's association, Ananilea Nkya, said the
      coalition will serve as a forum for advocacy on issues relating to FGM
      and a centre for exchange of information on the issue.

      "We want to make FGM a thing of the past in Tanzania," she said. --
      Irin
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22 8:06 AM

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****