news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Jan 25, 2005
      Malawi's judges end car strike

      Judges in Malawi have called off their first industrial action, after the government promised them a new fleet of four-wheel drive cars.
      However, they are getting a cheaper model than the one they had demanded. The 26 high court and supreme court judges first wanted Mercedes or BMWs.

      For four days, the judges have only heard serious cases such as murder.

      They said they were inconvenienced by their 10-year-old saloon cars, which needed constant maintenance.

      Cabinet cars

      High court registrar Sylvester Kalembera told AFP news agency that the parties "reached an agreement after lengthy deliberation and the meeting resolved that we get four-wheel drive vehicles."

      The judges had already dropped their initial demand for German vehicles and agreed to accept Toyota Prados at $80,000 each.

      Mr Kalembera said they would now get Nissan Terranos, which cost about $60,000 each.

      Former President Bakili Muluzi had originally promised to replace the cars before leaving office last year.

      The attorney general said it was unfortunate the new President Bingu wa Mutharika was being punished for Mr Muluzi's unkept pledge.

      According to the BBC's Raphael Tenthani in Blantyre, most of the judges were present in the court building but spent most of the day reading newspapers in their chambers.

      One member of the judiciary said that when a new cabinet is appointed, a fleet of expensive cars is procured for them almost immediately.

      "But most of us judges have had our official Toyota Corollas for more than 10 years."

      *****

      Abortion a Reality in Malawi With Alarming Consequences

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      January 24, 2005
      Posted to the web January 24, 2005

      Pushpa Jamieson
      Lilongwe

      Pale faced, weak and visibly tired Easter sits in a chair outside her older sister's house. It has been less than four days since she was discharged from hospital where she had surgery to remove her uterus (hysterectomy) which had become infected when she tried to remove her pregnancy.

      Although she is well on her way to recovery, the effort of even lifting her cup of tea is shown by the strain on her face and the sweat that breaks out on her brow.

      Easter is one of the lucky young girls who has survived an abortion that went wrong.

      At seventeen years, and in her last year at secondary school, she had her whole life to look forward to. An unplanned pregnancy from an older married man changed all that and brought her to the brink of death.

      When Easter informed her lover of the pregnancy, he became very concerned about her future and decided that it was "in her best interest" for her to have an abortion and continue her education.

      "He said it was important that I should continue with my school in order for me to be an educated wife when we get married". Easter adds: "He said we should be careful that no one suspects that I was pregnant and that he would take care of everything for me"

      Informing her sister that she was going to spend the weekend with her friend, she left with her lover.

      Easter will not tell anyone where she went, nor who she was with. All she says is that she was given some things to insert into her vagina and told to go home. "I felt nothing for about a day, then I started having period pains but no period came. On Monday I was in very severe pain and started bleeding. I knew there was something very wrong because I was bleeding a lot and feeling very sick. I was also vomiting and had a high fever."

      "Easter was rushed to hospital that night," her sister says adding, "we were sure that she would not recover because of the state she was in.

      The doctor told us that he would have to operate as she had such a bad infection. That is why her uterus was removed in order to save her life."

      When asked if Easter did not say what happened or who the boyfriend was, all the sister can say is: "Easter just told us that she was pregnant and wanted to remove it. We still do not know the man or who gave her the medicine. Apart from all this, we are just grateful that she is alive and that she is wiser about her life and future. It's not often one is given a second chance, I pray that she is wiser now."

      Asked what she plans to do about her future, Easter says: "I want to get better so that I can return to school. I have matured since what happened and I will never believe what men say again. I have not seen my boyfriend since I became sick and my family have paid all the hospital bills. One thing he said which was true is that I have to continue my education in order to have a better future which I will do."

      Easter is indeed a very luck young lady to have suffered only the loss of the possibility of ever having her own children. Others have not been so fortunate and have lost their lives in trying to remove unwanted pregnancies.

      Apart from this, abortions that have gone wrong result in patients receiving post abortion treatment from hospitals and other Reproductive Health Providers which put more pressure on already financially strapped facilities,

      The situation with Easter is not unique in any way. The fact is that abortions are being carried out by people who are not medical doctors and continue to put many women's lives at risk.

      Young women and girls continue to fall pregnant because of many reasons.

      Rape, coercion, lack of money are just a few reasons that sex is entered into. Unwanted and unplanned pregnancies which they terminate at the risk of developing other health problems or dying is a reality.

      Of great concern is also the fact that people are engaging in sex which puts them and the partner at risk of contracting HIV, the virus that leads to a person having AIDS.

      Abortion in Malawi is an offence and punishable by imprisonment.

      According to the Penal Code 149 through to 152 abortion is a felony which carries a maximum prison sentence of up to fourteen years.

      In November 1997 the government of Malawi developed a plan of action for the empowerment of women as a follow-up-action to the Fourth World Conference of Women which was held in Beijing in September 1995.

      One of the activities in the 1997 - 2002 plan of action was to "Review and repeal the abortion laws to provide women their reproductive health rights". The responsible bodies for the plan of action were the Ministry of Health, Non Governmental Organisations (NGOs), National Family Welfare Council of Malawi and the Ministry of Women, Youth and Community Services.

      According to inform-ation sourced from the Law Commission's office, there are consultations being carried out on the review of the Penal Code under which the laws on abortions come. Consultations have reveal that although abortions are against the law, the practice is still taking place.

      The Ministry of Health has requested that a report be compiled because numerous women and young girls who seek an abortion have been subjected to many different and dangerous methods of terminating pregnancies which have resulted in some of them losing their lives.

      NGOs and other stakeholders are also looking into the law that will help safeguard the security of women and help empower them with regards to their sexual and reproductive health rights.

      *****

      Malaria 'Could Speed Up Sread of HIV'

      SciDev.Net (London)

      January 20, 2005
      Posted to the web January 20, 2005

      Priya Shetty

      Health services in developing countries should integrate programmes treating HIV/AIDS and malaria, say researchers, following publication of a study showing that having malaria could make people with HIV more likely to transmit the virus.

      The study, published last week in The Lancet, showed that levels of the HIV virus in the blood almost doubled when patients got malaria. Eight to nine weeks after being treated for malaria, HIV levels returned to what they were at the start of the study.

      Even a temporary increase in virus concentration could increase HIV transmission, warn the researchers, led by Malcolm Molyneux of the Malawi-Liverpool-Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Programme in Malawi.

      Molyneux's team looked at 367 people with HIV in Thyolo District, Malawi. Of these, 148 developed malaria during the study, but the team was only able to collect sufficient information for analysis from 77 of these patients.

      The researchers suggest that malaria causes HIV levels to increase because the human body's immune system produces more white blood cells to attack the malaria parasite. But stimulating the immune system like this activates the HIV virus, which begins replicating.

      This increase in viral concentration could, say the researchers, be sustained long enough to increase risk of HIV transmission.

      In an accompanying commentary in The Lancet, James Whitworth at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom, and Kirsten Hewitt at the Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, also in London, say that because malaria and HIV affect large numbers of people, even small increases in transmission of HIV are important, so better integration of health services for the two diseases is crucial.

      They suggest the temporary increase in viral load reported by Molyneux's team could equate to about a 50 per cent increase in HIV transmission during this period.

      Neil French, of the Malawi-Liverpool-Wellcome Trust laboratories, told SciDev.Net that discovering the exact interaction between malaria and HIV would be difficult because the research would require treating people under study for neither disease.

      Such 'non-intervention' would be unethical given the increasing availability of HIV and malaria drugs in areas affected by both diseases.

      French points out that the two diseases overlap on social as well biological levels. The poorest in society are most likely to be infected by HIV and least likely to have access to bednets to prevent malaria. Disease control programmes, he adds, should come together to provide a comprehensive package of care.

      In the developed world, the threat of simultaneous infection with HIV and other diseases has been reduced by use of antiretroviral drugs. In the developing world, however, being infected by both malaria and HIV could be more important because drugs against HIV are not widely available.

      French suggests that a pragmatic approach might be to give people with HIV bednets to reduce their chance of getting malaria.

      The World Health Organization estimates that together malaria and HIV cause more than four million deaths per year worldwide.

      *****

      MDC: 'Damned if we do ...'

      Ellen Hollemans and Sapa | Johannesburg

      25 January 2005 01:33

      The opposition Movement for Democratic Change is caught in a catch-22 situation in deciding whether to participate in Zimbabwe's upcoming general elections, party leader Morgan Tsvangirai said in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

      "We are damned if we do, and damned if we don't," he told participants at a seminar on opposition parties and democracy in Africa.

      Tsvangirai said if the MDC participated in an electoral process in which the Zimbabwe people had lost confidence, it would legitimise the election.

      If it refused to take part, it risks becoming irrelevant as the only opposition political party to the ruling Zanu-PF.

      Tsvangirai listed various factors contributing to the current political environment which precluded free and fair elections.

      He said the recently created Independent Electoral Commission would not have time to become independent by the March election. The MDC was also unable to campaign freely as it had to get permission from the country's Police Commission to hold a meeting of more than three people.

      Tsvangirai said 50 000 militia belong to Zanu-PF had been specially trained to coerce and intimidate opposition members and also hindered free elections. The MDC was also being denied access to the voters' roll.

      "How can we trust it [the voters' roll] if 40% of the voters do not exist."

      Tsavangirai said the MDC would decide whether to contest the election at their national council meeting on February 1.

      "Democracy is not an event such as a single election, it is a process," he said.

      "We don't need election observers ... I call them election tourists.

      "We need monitors now to assess the situation in the country and especially in the rural areas. We don't need those that come on election day and sniff around and then draw their conclusions."

      The conference was held at the University of the Witwatersrand and was attended by, among others, Independent Democrats leader Patricia De Lille and politicians from Côte d'Ivoire. The conference was chaired by Moeletsi Mbeki from the South African Institute of International Affairs. He is also President Thabo Mbeki's brother.

      In his address to the conference, Tsvangirai reminisced about the independence of Zimbabwe in 1980.

      "We celebrated with boundless excitement. Independence marked the end of an era of colonial rule. Independence marked a new beginning."

      He said the independent government merely replaced colonial rule and that the Zimbabwean Constitution had been drafted by the British.

      "The people had no input into this independence document. The so-called Constitution was a mere compromise document, totally unconcerned about the path to freedom and to real democracy."

      "Twenty-five years down the line, that document is still the supreme law of our land."

      "The new system [the government after independence] merely replaced the colonial administrator and adopted an agenda that was at variance with the expectations and aspirations of the people," Tsvangirai said.

      "Almost a quarter of century after independence, Zimbabweans are as poor as they were in 1970, fewer people have formal sector jobs than in 1980 and life expectancy is lower than in 1960."

      "On the one occasion we were granted an audience with Mugabe, he informed us to go and form our own political party if we were serious about achieving our objectives. Well, on 11 September 1999 we did just that [and formed the MDC]".

      "The founding objective of the movement was to take over power through democratic means."

      Before leading Zimbabwe's opposition, Tsvangirai had a career in the trade unions and was elected secretary general of the Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions.

      He also was an official in Mugabe's Zanu-PF party.

      Tsvangirai has been brutally assaulted and been charged with treason three times. - Sapa, Staff Reporter
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****