news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Jan 3, 2005
      Malawi: Community NGO Breaks Silence Around HIV/Aids

      UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

      December 27, 2004
      Posted to the web December 30, 2004

      Lilongwe

      In a small village in Kaswela in Karonga district in the northern
      region of Malawi, 35-year-old Lucy Banda has been critically ill for a
      year, and her neighbours suspect she is HIV-positive.

      Despite numerous visits to the hospital, Banda shows no signs of
      improvement and spends most of her time lying on her mat, unable to talk
      or eat properly.

      With two children to raise alone after her husband's death, Lucy's
      neighbours are concerned about what will happen to them should she pass
      away.

      A community based NGO in the district, Chipulikano Orphan Care (COC),
      is trying to address the problem of caring for orphans and vulnerable
      children, as well as raising awareness about AIDS within families -
      traditionally a taboo subject.

      "Many parents are dying leaving children behind without anybody to take
      care of them. What we want now is that the youth should know the dangers
      of the disease, and we are working with families to achieve this,"
      Makani Lombani, a COC member, told PlusNews.

      When COC was started in 2000, 300 orphans were targeted to receive
      assistance, Lambani said. Four years later, the NGO is caring for 2,075
      orphaned children and are struggling to raise the additional funds.

      "We need to travel and we need food as well. Our orphans need to go to
      school and they need fees and school materials," said Ida Mhone, one of
      26 COC volunteers.

      To help raise funds, the NGO has trained women to produce soap from
      locally available resources for sale, among other initiatives.

      "Apart from soap making, we also have small gardens where we grow
      vegetables, which we sell. [With] the little we get, we are able to give
      young boys and girls some technical and vocational skills for them to be
      self-reliant," social worker Sister Beatrice Chipeta explained.

      Most of the NGO's volunteers are women, despite traditional beliefs
      which restrict women from discussing sex. But as primary caregivers, it
      is the wives and mothers who are feeling the impact of HIV/AIDS.

      "As a locally based NGO, women are encouraged to have a say on issues
      that affect them. These are the people who are taking care of orphans in
      our home," said Lombani.

      "There is no need now to keep issues of sex away from our children in
      the name of culture when our people are dying," Lambani added.

      "When you ask young people now about AIDS they will tell you that they
      are more aware than they were two or three years ago in the district.
      This cannot only be attributed to Chipulikano Orphan Care but other NGOs
      and government as well. But Chipulikano has made a very significant
      change," said Chipeta.

      Eighteen-year-old Hector Makungwa, who lost both parents to
      AIDS-related illnesses five years ago, says the youth can no longer be
      ignored when talking about sex and the HIV/AIDS epidemic.

      "Both boys and girls should know more about sex and sexuality. This
      information should not only be limited to older people," he said.

      According to the Ministry of Health and Population, 14 percent of
      Malawians are estimated to be HIV-positive and about 150,000 children
      have been orphaned by the disease.

      *****

      Malawi: Army Worms Invade Farmers' Fields

      UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

      December 30, 2004
      Posted to the web December 31, 2004

      Lilongwe

      Army worms have invaded farmers' fields in Malawi's northern
      agricultural district of Karonga, raising local concerns over the impact
      on food security in the coming year.

      "I am only hoping that government will do something before our crops
      are destroyed," Eric Kalinga told IRIN last week, when the pests first
      appeared in his farm.

      Army worms, the caterpillar life stage of a moth, are voracious eaters.
      However, agricultural officials have assured farmers that there was no
      cause for alarm, and the outbreak would be brought under control through
      a chemical spray programme.

      "We have managed to contain the problem, and we have asked farmers to
      re-plant crops in areas that have been hit hard," District Agricultural
      Development Officer Bill Mhango told IRIN.

      Karonga district, bordering Tanzania to the north and Zambia to the
      northwest, produces maize, rice and cassava. Mhango said about 158
      hectares of maize and rice were destroyed in one of the hardest hit
      areas of the district.

      Apart from chemical spraying to control the infestation, "we are also
      being assisted by the heavy rains and birds that are feeding on the
      pests", Mhango said.

      Karonga Agricultural Development Division programme manager, Paul
      Ching'amba, said the government would ensure that the outbreak did not
      spread to other parts of the district.

      *****

      Zim ruling party shuns big names

      Harare, Zimbabwe

      03 January 2005 10:46

      Just three months before parliamentary polls set for March, Zimbabwe's
      ruling Zanu-PF has slashed several "prominent names" from contesting
      important party primary elections.

      Information Minister and President Robert Mugabe's chief spin doctor
      Jonathan Moyo is one of three ministers prohibited from contesting the
      primaries.

      Moyo, who fell from grace last month after calling an unauthorised
      meeting, is reported to have tried to resign last week.

      Also dropped was Justice Minister and fierce Mugabe loyalist Patrick
      Chinamasa. He attended the meeting organised by Moyo, but is reported to
      have apologised to Mugabe.

      Finance Minister Chris Kureneri, currently in remand prison where he is
      facing charges of illegally "externalising foreign currency", was also
      dropped from the primaries.

      Zanu-PF has also said a flamboyant businessman and MP for the northern
      town of Chinhoyi, Phillip Chiyangwa, will be barred. Instead, he must
      leave room for a new "quota for women" to be introduced by the party.

      Chiyangwa dropped from public sight four weeks ago after he was
      reportedly snatched by Zimbabwe's notorious Central Intelligence
      Organisation and held at the infamous Goromonzi torture farm.

      He reappeared last week in a Harare Magistrate's Court to face charges
      of spying and leaking secrets to an unnamed foreign power.

      The flashily dressed MP, who boasts of owning more than 500 suits,
      seemed to have his fate sealed on Monday when the state-controlled
      Herald carried a cartoon of Chiyangwa sitting on a prison bed saying:
      "Which khaki shall I wear today?"

      Also dropped from Zanu-PF's list of primary election candidates are war
      veterans' leader and self-appointed head of farm invasions Joseph
      Chinotimba.

      Chinotimba, who denied attending the "unauthorised meeting" in
      Zimbabwe's western Tsholotsho district, has made repeated unsuccessful
      attempts to garner support in opposition-held Harare townships.

      Zanu-PF has also banned former lawmaker Tony Gara from contesting the
      primaries. Gara once compared Mugabe to "the son of God", causing an
      outcry in the country.

      The calling of Zanu-PF primaries follows in the wake of the
      announcement of new constituency boundaries last month.

      Zimbabwe's opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) has cried
      foul over the new boundaries, pointing out that two constituencies in
      MDC-held Harare and Bulawayo have been taken from them, while three
      constituencies have been added to traditionally held Zanu-PF provinces.

      Primaries are held before parliamentary polls and allow party members
      to select their prospective MPs. -- Sapa

      *****

      Zim ministers suspects in alleged spy ring

      Harare, Zimbabwe

      03 January 2005 10:44

      At least two Cabinet ministers in Zimbabwe are suspected of passing
      official secrets to Western intelligence agencies seeking to spy on
      President Robert Mugabe's government, the state Sunday Mail reported.

      The newspaper, a main government mouthpiece, said security authorities
      are closing in on several top ruling-party and government officials
      believed to have divulged confidential information to "hostile
      intelligence agencies", including the United States's CIA and Britain's
      MI5.

      It said Zimbabwe security authorities are investigating at least two
      Cabinet ministers and another lawmaker who had access to high-level
      government and ruling-party meetings and who may have given information
      to foreign-based Zimbabwean officials, who then sold it.

      "The officials would receive handsome payments from enemy agencies,"
      the Sunday Mail said.

      The paper said Erasmus Moyo, a diplomat at the Zimbabwe embassy in
      Geneva, disappeared after the arrest last month of a prominent
      ruling-party politician and four others on allegations of spying.

      It said Moyo, who was being recalled to Harare, checked in for a
      homeward bound flight but then slipped away from colleagues escorting
      him to Geneva International airport.

      Philip Chiyangwa, a prominent lawmaker; Godfrey Dzvairo, the country's
      ambassador-designate to neighbouring Mozambique; and three other
      ruling-party officials were charged last week in a Harare court under
      the Official Secrets Act.

      The men face a fine or up to 20 years in prison.

      Chiyangwa is a legislator for the parliamentary district of Chinhoyi,
      120km north-west of Harare, and one of 10 ruling-party provincial
      chairpersons.

      Chiyangwa, a wealthy businessman known for his flamboyant lifestyle
      amid an economic crisis that has left 80% of the population in poverty,
      was detained in March on corruption and perjury allegations.

      He was acquitted on those charges.

      Zimbabwe has repeatedly accused Britain and the US of backing Mugabe's
      opponents and working toward his ouster through "regime change".

      The ruling party suffered deep divisions last year over Mugabe's
      autocratic style of rule. -- Sapa-AP
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****