Re: [ujeni] More tsunami relief info

  • Drazek
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2004
      Kristen,

      We donated to Catholic Relief Services. I'm not sure what their overhead is
      like - but I did read that they have given a lot to the tsunami relief
      effort.

      Juliet
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
        Greetings from Thailand --

        For those of you who know me, you will probably be unsurprised to hear that I was in Phuket on my way to go diving last weekend when the tsunami hit. I was very fortunate and was not hurt, though I am still trying to get my head around the events and the aftermath. Like you, a lot of us here are struggling with how we can help after this disaster. Below is a letter from a friend of mine who works at an eco-resort on a Thai island that was devastated. They have set up a fund for short and long term relief for the island residents and will be directly administering the funds so the overhead will be minimal. I am going to get as involved in helping out there as I can, and as I find other more direct ways for people to contribute the relief effort, I will pass them on.

        Hope you are all well

        -- Sara

        Dear Friends and Family,

        I am sorry to write to you en masse, but recent events
        have kept me very busy. For those of you that do not
        know, I have been living in Thailand for the last
        year, first at a conservation project, and then at
        Golden Buddha Beach - an eco-tourism resort 30 km
        south of the research station. My time in Thailand
        has been filled with magic and mystery - dugongs, sea
        turtles, tropical jungles, and mangrove swamps. That
        all changed last week. I had returned to America to
        visit my family for Christmas, and I received a phone
        call, and was told that:

        At roughly 10 am on Dec, 26 a tsunami hit Golden
        Buddha Beach Resort in three successive waves. The
        first wave did not do any damage, the 2nd and 3rd
        waves destroyed most of the buildings. Many people
        made their way to one of the two hills above the
        resort, where they stayed the rest of the day and
        through the night. At 8 am the next morning a series
        of helicopters and boats took people from Golden
        Buddha to various locations on the mainland. A
        majority of the guests, members, and staff survived
        without injury, and are now safely on the mainland.
        Most injuries were minor, but some required
        hospitalization.

        Unfortunately, not everyone survived. 13 people lost
        their lives at Golden Buddha when the tsunami hit,
        caring people who were loved by many. The happiness
        that these people created in the world lives on, as
        will their memories in our hearts.

        Worse yet, the tsunami destroyed a majority of the
        houses in several villages near Golden Buddha,
        including Bak Jok and, further north, Baan Talae Nok.
        Many lives were lost. Livelihoods have been ruined.
        In the wake of this tragedy, we intend to do
        everything we can to make sure that these communities
        are able to get back on their feet.

        A relief fund has been established to aid Thai tsunami
        victims living in the villages near Golden Buddha
        Beach. It will directly contribute to the well being
        of locals that have suffered the most from this
        disaster. In the short term people will need
        clothing, food, water, and medicine. In the long run,
        the villages around golden Buddha Beach will need
        support in re-establishing their livelihoods - new
        homes and fishing boats. If you would like to donate,
        please visit our website, www.goldenbuddhabeach.com
        There are other things you can do to help as well:
        Organize fund raisers with your friends, businesses,
        etc.
        Donate to relief groups that work closely with
        communities, and avoid high administrative costs.
        Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper,
        tell them why you are choosing to help with tsunami
        relief efforts.

        Again, donations to the relief fund can be made by
        visiting:
        www.goldenbuddhabeach.com
        (If you do not see the donation section, please hit
        the refresh button.)
        Or, if you prefer, tax-deductible donations can be
        made through the newly established Tsunami Relief
        Fund. The kind people at Business for the
        Environment, a 501(c)3 non-profit, have set up an
        account for the relief fund for the communities around
        Golden Buddha.
        Checks can be sent to:
        Business for the Environment Tsunami Relief Fund
        3524 Dutch Way
        Carmichael, CA, 95608.

        Also, please forward this your friends and family, so
        that others can also have an opportunity to help.
        After all, help can come from the most surprising of
        places.

        Thank you for any help you can provide, whether it is
        through a donation, a kind email, or a loving heart.

        So, that's my story. I am headed to Thailand in a few
        days, and I am going to do everything I can to help
        these people, and then I will take a look at my own
        situation. I am not sure what will happen, but I do
        know this: right now the most important thing is to
        thelp those that are suffering most.

        I hope that the suffering of these last few days can
        be a transformative experience. In this way, it may
        be possible that all of this misery was not in vain,
        and that a phoenix may rise from the ashes of our
        broken hearts.

        Take care,

        Bodhi Garrett

        >P.S. MoveOn also has a link to send letters and make donations.
        >
        >http://www.moveon.org/tsunamirelief/
        >
        >They suggest going online during your New Year's party and encouraging
        >guests to make donations online to start out the new year.
        >
        >And the link to make donations through the Red Cross. www.ifrc.org
        >
        >Does anyone know which relief organizations tend to deduct the *least*
        >amount from donations for administrative overhead? I'd like as much of
        >my donation as possible to go directly to tsunami victims and not to
        >DC bureaucrats (nothing personal, DC bureaucrats!).
        >
        >Peaceful and prosperous new year to you all,
        >
        >Kristen

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • balakasue
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2005