Re: [ujeni] HIV in Malawi during the 80s

  • Joanna Jane Hooper
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2004
      Thanks Scott!

      This is really interesting!

      Joanna

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2004
        Isn't that a bit unethical, as well as illegal...dealing with privacy laws
        and sort of abait and switch concept???

        Even though the info is necessary.....

        A few of you might find this article interesting. By testing finger prick
        blood spots originally stored for a population-based leprosy study, the
        authors were able to get a snapshot of how the HIV epidemic progressed in
        rural Malawi during the 80s. - Scott

        << DevelopmentofHIVinKaronga.pdf >>
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2004
          Hotmail noticed a virus on the .pdf file and did not download it for me...

          Did anyone else have this issue???
        • Vyrle Owens
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 18, 2004

            Dear Paul,

            Thanks for the warning. I haven't opened the attachment yet, it being
            my practice not to open attachments, based upon previous disasterous
            experience.

            Sounds like the article will be interesting.

            Vyrle

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 20, 2004
              Yup. Too bad I missed it. But I still think it a bit unethical of using the
              test samples for other purposes than so stated.

              It kind of reminds me of the disdain which the ALlies looked at the Nazi
              experiments, but nonetheless, raced to the records rooms to gather the
              results....