HIV in Malawi during the 80s

  • Scott Geibel
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
      A few of you might find this article interesting. By testing finger prick
      blood spots originally stored for a population-based leprosy study, the
      authors were able to get a snapshot of how the HIV epidemic progressed in
      rural Malawi during the 80s. - Scott
    • Joanna Jane Hooper
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15, 2004
        Thanks Scott!

        This is really interesting!

        Joanna

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2004
          Isn't that a bit unethical, as well as illegal...dealing with privacy laws
          and sort of abait and switch concept???

          Even though the info is necessary.....

          A few of you might find this article interesting. By testing finger prick
          blood spots originally stored for a population-based leprosy study, the
          authors were able to get a snapshot of how the HIV epidemic progressed in
          rural Malawi during the 80s. - Scott

          << DevelopmentofHIVinKaronga.pdf >>
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 2004
            Hotmail noticed a virus on the .pdf file and did not download it for me...

            Did anyone else have this issue???
          • Vyrle Owens
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 18, 2004

              Dear Paul,

              Thanks for the warning. I haven't opened the attachment yet, it being
              my practice not to open attachments, based upon previous disasterous
              experience.

              Sounds like the article will be interesting.

              Vyrle

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 20, 2004
                Yup. Too bad I missed it. But I still think it a bit unethical of using the
                test samples for other purposes than so stated.

                It kind of reminds me of the disdain which the ALlies looked at the Nazi
                experiments, but nonetheless, raced to the records rooms to gather the
                results....