KC's Update

  • kristen cheney
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2004
      I still have time to get in on "C" day???

      Having recovered well from my last calamitous relationship, I finished
      the rough draft of my dissertation in March and promptly boarded a
      plane to New Zealand, where my college friend Tarius drove me all over
      the country for 3 ½ weeks. It was wonderfully cathartic and
      breathtakingly beautiful! We spotted no hobbits, though…

      In June, I received my PhD in anthropology for the University of
      California at Santa Cruz. My 89-year-old grandmother came out to
      California from Michigan for a pre-graduation roadtrip, and we tooled
      all over the Bay Area. She totally wore me out! My folks also came out
      to see me walk the walk (picture).

      I continued to consult for the Firelight Foundation for African AIDS
      orphans throughout the summer and have been part-time teaching locally
      while applying for academic jobs. I received the Graduate Student
      Paper Prize from the African Studies Association and so went to New
      Orleans to receive my 'prizee', where I got to hang out with Christine
      Chumbler, eating copious amounts of wonderful Cajun/Creole food and
      listening to fine music. Of course, we did our ritual recitation of
      the almost-got-eaten-by-hyenas story to our riveted friends. I met
      with some publishers there, too, and the University of Chicago Press
      is currently reviewing my complete manuscript. Cross your fingers for
      me that they publish it!

      Had a very nice Thanksgiving at home here in Santa Cruz with friends
      and recounted the gluttonous Peace Corps Thanksgiving of '95, when we
      all pigged out at the Ambassador's house!

      I'll be in Atlanta Dec. 15-19th for the anthropology annual meeting
      (and hopefully many, many job interviews). Any folks in the area wanna
      get together? Contact me!

      Peace and Love,

      Kristen

      --
      "So we starve all the teachers
      and recruit more marines.
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2004
        Kristen, great quote on the bottom...

        WHere did you get it?

        I still have time to get in on "C" day???

        Having recovered well from my last calamitous relationship, I finished
        the rough draft of my dissertation in March and promptly boarded a
        plane to New Zealand, where my college friend Tarius drove me all over
        the country for 3 �� weeks. It was wonderfully cathartic and
[...]

        << GradDay.JPG >>
      • Rand Wise
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2004
          Kristen,

          Will be here in Atlanta when you're here for the annual meeting.  We already several commitments on the weekend, but hopefully we can see you, maybe one of the nights.  On the evening of the 16th, our little enclave of Atlanta (Decatur) is having a bonfire on the town square--maybe you'd be interested in some marshmallows and/or dinner before or afterward, or perhaps some other time would work out.   BTW, the advance weather forecast calls for snow showers on the 16th, although this far in advance previous experience tells me that there is less than a 1% chance that the forecast will be right.  May be worth checking again as it gets closer as you plan what to pack.

          Later,  Rand, Deb & Benjamin

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          click here

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2004
            So, seeing as how that is soooooooooooo near Stone Mountain, will they be
            tossing books, CD, or DVDs onto the bonfire?????

              Oh, it's BYOOOOOO (bring your own obscene or otherwise offensive objects).

              Actually, Decatur is a somewhat liberal enclave in the midst of Zell-Newt Land.  We were hoping to burn Ann Coulter at the stake to settle once and for all whether or not she's a witch, but it's a family affair you know.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2004
                I just finished Hey, Dude, Where's My Country...

                Once getting past the obvious hystrionics, it is a good read, and brings up
                some interesting points...why do I feel that we, the people are lambs being
                lead to the slaughter?

                Anyway, Moore talks about COulter, and having been outside of the US with no
                access to the Fair and Balanced Fox News Channelk, I had no ideabeforehand
                who Ann Coulter was....but now I do.

                A box of matches en route....
              • Bell, Elizabeth
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 9, 2004

                  Hi Kristin (and Deb and Rand and Benjamin),

                  I will be here during your timeframe, but will have to check in closer in as planning things more than a few hours in advance has gotten increasingly difficult since the twins.  Yes, that’s right, Dave and I had twin boys (Matthew Morgan and John Bowyer) August 12th and have been in a sleep deprived daze ever since.  Guess this counts as my update.  Matthew is the fussy, high maintenance, good-eater little porker, John is the laid back, patient, smiley one.  Last night both boys sleep for a full 5.5 hours AT THE SAME TIME.  Things are looking up.

                  I’m leaving CDC for a while to do the fulltime mommy thing in the ‘burbs (as the idea of being left alone with the babies, quite frankly, terrifies Dave), even bought a Volvo station wagon.  Who woulda thunk?

                  My home email address is elizabeth_bell@....

                  Stay well all,

                  Liz

                  Elizabeth Bell, MPH