What Mandate?!

  • John Patten
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2004
      Have some media types gone buggy? Time was when if you
      won an election by 20-30 percentage points that was
      called a mandate.

      Since when does winning by the narrowest margin since
      1916 for an incumbent President become some kind of
      mandate for his policies? More people voted for Kerry
      than Reagan.

      People also claim to have voted for him on moral
      grounds? Are there so few of us left that think he and
      his cronies are the most immoral group in our
      lifetimes, like Roman emperors that speak of one thing
      while burning villages out of reach of the public
      scrutiny?

      Middle America can rest well in their ignorance,
      because they just don't want to see all the things we
      have lost. Mor scary is that many just don't care.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Luz Huntington
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
        Some of us are living in Middle America and used our vote to try and change
        things....Oh well maybe some of you need to get out of the city and move
        this way. The Ohio river is mighty but lovely and the fall colors in the
        Hoosier National Forest are lovely as well.

        Luz

        >From: John Patten <jppatten98@...>
        >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [ujeni] What Mandate?!
        >Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:53:27 -0800 (PST)
        >
        >Have some media types gone buggy? Time was when if you
        >won an election by 20-30 percentage points that was
        >called a mandate.
        >
        >Since when does winning by the narrowest margin since
        >1916 for an incumbent President become some kind of
        >mandate for his policies? More people voted for Kerry
        >than Reagan.
        >
        >People also claim to have voted for him on moral
        >grounds? Are there so few of us left that think he and
        >his cronies are the most immoral group in our
        >lifetimes, like Roman emperors that speak of one thing
        >while burning villages out of reach of the public
        >scrutiny?
        >
        >Middle America can rest well in their ignorance,
        >because they just don't want to see all the things we
        >have lost. Mor scary is that many just don't care.

        >http://mail.yahoo.com

      • John Patten
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
          Bush actually won most of the states in a huge red
          swath of "middle America," but come on now, we're not
          so politically correct these days that anyone actually
          thinks I slighted 55 million Americans? That wasn't
          the point. Besides, I don't live in the city anyway, I
          live in a crumbling factory with moss on the concrete
          walls. I even let the feral cats and lizards hangout
          to keep the mouse and bug population down (photo
          attached). Kind of like my mid-western high school.
          But although they did mostly vote for Kerry, please
          don't insult the entire state of Michigan, as they're
          a bit sensitive and are still reeling from the loss to
          Ohio State yesterday.

          --- Luz Huntington <luzhunt@...> wrote:

          > Some of us are living in Middle America and used our
          > vote to try and change
          > things....Oh well maybe some of you need to get out
          > of the city and move
          > this way. The Ohio river is mighty but lovely and
          > the fall colors in the
          > Hoosier National Forest are lovely as well.
          >
          > Luz
          >
          > >From: John Patten <jppatten98@...>
          > >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [ujeni] What Mandate?!
          > >Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:53:27 -0800 (PST)
          > >
          > >Have some media types gone buggy? Time was when if
          > you
          > >won an election by 20-30 percentage points that was
          > >called a mandate.
          > >
          > >Since when does winning by the narrowest margin
          > since
          > >1916 for an incumbent President become some kind of
          > >mandate for his policies? More people voted for
          > Kerry
          > >than Reagan.
          > >
          > >People also claim to have voted for him on moral
          > >grounds? Are there so few of us left that think he
          > and
          > >his cronies are the most immoral group in our
          > >lifetimes, like Roman emperors that speak of one
          > thing
          > >while burning villages out of reach of the public
          > >scrutiny?
          > >
          > >Middle America can rest well in their ignorance,
          > >because they just don't want to see all the things
          > we
          > >have lost. Mor scary is that many just don't care.

          > protection around
          > >http://mail.yahoo.com

          > Don�t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN
          > Search!

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/o20olB/TM

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com