The view from Africa

  • Kristen Elizabeth Cheney
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2004
      An editorial in the Ugandan New Vision...

      Kristen Cheney
      PhD Anthropology
      ********************

      US voters should listen to outsiders

      AMERICANS HAVE started early voting although the actual
      presidential election is only on November 2.

      Opinion polls show the incumbent President George Bush
      running neck and neck with his main challenger John Kerry.

      Some polls show Bush with a tiny lead but it is still less
      than the statistical margin of error. The overall result
      will hinge on a few swing states like Ohio and Florida
      where victory, however small, carries all that state’s
      electoral delegates.

      Bush has been a radical president. He conclusively ended
      the conservative foreign policy tradition of isolationism
      and introduced the concept of pre-emptive attack that led
      to the Iraq quagmire. He is trying to roll back
      environmental protection in the USA and has refused to
      endorse the Kyoto protocol on climate change. Domestically
      he has given huge tax breaks to the wealthiest one per
      cent of the population and has turned a budget surplus of
      billions of dollars into a deficit of trillions.

      Who rationally would vote for Bush?.
      Yet the American electorate is undecided, largely because
      they are living in a state of fear. They believe the
      United States is under attack and at war. Many believe
      that the bellicose Bush is the only leader that can
      protect them. To them, his simple certainties are more
      confidence inspiring than the measured and nuanced
      analysis of Kerry.

      But the American electorate should also consider one other
      simple fact: the vast majority of the world’s population
      outside the United States is desperate that Bush does not
      get re-elected.

      The Arabs, the Europeans, the Asians all dread the
      prospect of another five years of irrational and
      destructive neo-con supremacism. If the world were voting
      on 2 November, Bush would not stand a chance.

      If Americans want the world to be a safer place, they
      should take the advice of the global community and vote
      for Kerry.
      Ends

      Published on: Thursday, 21st October, 2004
    • John Patten
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 23, 2004
        Thanks Kristen for the post. While still firmly in the
        anti-Bush camp (and tepid about Kerry), this very
        interesting editorial also illustrates some of the
        problems of journalism today. While an editorial would
        of course be opinion, often statements are put out as
        facts when they are at the very least debatable. This
        author makes several mistakes and misrepresentations
        (trillions of dollars of deficit for example) which
        sometimes gives that side ammunition to say look at
        the way the "liberals" can't get the facts straight,
        diverting their own misstatements.

        Bush doesn't even scare me so much anymore, but the
        big four do- Rummy, Ashcroft, Paul Wolfowitz and
        Cheney. An official here that knows them says despite
        the fact they are smart, they self-reference each
        other and have lost the plot to the big picture.

        I think the world knows something we don't.

        http://vote.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 23, 2004
          Where are you John? How is life?