An interesting connection

  • Vyrle Owens
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 13, 2004

      Dear all,

      The below article crossed my email today. I found it to be a bit
      disturbing as well as informative. I will let the author and the
      article speak for themselves.

      The link is: Sojourners [sojourners@...]
      Look for the SojoMail 10.13.04

      Y'all be good,

      Vyrle

      Pro-life? Look at the fruits
      by Dr. Glen Harold Stassen

      I am a Christian ethicist, and trained in statistical analysis. I am
      consistently pro-life. My son David is one witness. For my family,
      "pro-life" is personal. My wife caught rubella in the eighth week of her
      pregnancy. We decided not to terminate, to love and raise our baby.
      David is legally blind and severely handicapped; he also is a blessing
      to us and to the world.

      I look at the fruits of political policies more than words. I analyzed
      the data on abortion during the George W. Bush presidency. There is no
      single source for this information - federal reports go only to 2000,
      and many states do not report - but I found enough data to identify
      trends. My findings are counterintuitive and disturbing.

      Abortion was decreasing. When President Bush took office, the nation's
      abortion rates were at a 24-year low, after a 17.4% decline during the
      1990s. This was an average decrease of 1.7% per year, mostly during the
      latter part of the decade. (This data comes from Minnesota Citizens
      Concerned for Life using the Guttmacher Institute's studies).

      Enter George W. Bush in 2001. One would expect the abortion rate to
      continue its consistent course downward, if not plunge. Instead, the
      opposite happened.

      I found three states that have posted multi-year statistics through
      2003, and abortion rates have risen in all three: Kentucky's increased
      by 3.2% from 2000 to 2003. Michigan's increased by 11.3% from 2000 to
      2003. Pennsylvania's increased by 1.9% from 1999 to 2002. I found 13
      additional states that reported statistics for 2001 and 2002. Eight
      states saw an increase in abortion rates (14.6% average increase), and
      five saw a decrease (4.3% average decrease).

      Under President Bush, the decade-long trend of declining abortion rates
      appears to have reversed. Given the trends of the 1990s, 52,000 more
      abortions occurred in the United States in 2002 than would have been
      expected before this change of direction.

      How could this be? I see three contributing factors:
      First, two thirds of women who abort say they cannot afford a child
      (Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life Web site). In the past three
      years, unemployment rates increased half again. Not since Hoover had
      there been a net loss of jobs during a presidency until the current
      administration. Average real incomes decreased, and for seven years the
      minimum wage has not been raised to match inflation. With less income,
      many prospective mothers fear another mouth to feed.

      Second, half of all women who abort say they do not have a reliable mate
      (Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life). Men who are jobless usually do
      not marry. Only three of the 16 states had more marriages in 2002 than
      in 2001, and in those states abortion rates decreased. In the 16 states
      overall, there were 16,392 fewer marriages than the year before, and
      7,869 more abortions. As male unemployment increases, marriages fall and
      abortion rises.

      Third, women worry about health care for themselves and their children.
      Since 5.2 million more people have no health insurance now than before
      this presidency - with women of childbearing age overrepresented in
      those 5.2 million - abortion increases.

      The U.S. Catholic Bishops warned of this likely outcome if support for
      families with children was cut back. My wife and I know - as does my son
      David - that doctors, nurses, hospitals, medical insurance, special
      schooling, and parental employment are crucial for a special child.
      David attended the Kentucky School for the Blind, as well as several
      schools for children with cerebral palsy and other disabilities. He was
      mainstreamed in public schools as well. We have two other sons and five
      grandchildren, and we know that every mother, father, and child needs
      public and family support.

      What does this tell us? Economic policy and abortion are not separate
      issues; they form one moral imperative. Rhetoric is hollow, mere
      tinkling brass, without health care, health insurance, jobs, child care,
      and a living wage. Pro-life in deed, not merely in word, means we need
      policies that provide jobs and health insurance and support for
      prospective mothers.

      Glen Stassen is the Lewis B. Smedes Professor of Christian Ethics at
      Fuller Theological Seminary, and the co-author of Kingdom Ethics:
      Following Jesus in Contemporary Context, Christianity Today's Book of
      the Year in theology or ethics.

      ---
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2004
        Quite interesting...someone should send it to the RNC....