Y2K

  • Paul Dever
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 1999
      Reply to: Y2K

      Y Zero K Problem

      Translated from Latin scroll dated 2BC

      Dear Cassius:

      Are you still working on the Y zero K problem? This change from BC to
      AD is giving us a lot of headaches and we haven't much time left. I
      don't know how people will cope with working the wrong way around.

      Having been working happily downwards forever, now we have to start
      thinking upwards. You would think that someone would have thought of
      it earlier and not left it to us to sort it all out at this last minute.

      I spoke to Caesar the other evening. He was livid that Julius hadn't
      done something about it when he was sorting out the calendar. He said
      he could see why Brutus turned nasty. We called in Consultus, but he
      simply said that continuing downwards using minus BC won't work and as
      usual charged a fortune for doing nothing useful. Surely, we will not
      have to throw out all our hardware and start again? Macrohard will
      make yet another fortune out of this I suppose.

      The money lenders are paranoid of course! They have been told that all
      usury rates will invert, and they will have to pay their clients to take
      out loans. It's an ill wind. . . .

      As for myself, I just can't see the sand in an hourglass flowing
      upwards. We have heard that there are three wise men in the East who
      have been working on the problem, but unfortunately they won't arrive
      until it's all over.

      I have heard that there are plans to stable all horses at midnight at
      the turn of the year as there are fears that they will stop and try to
      run backwards, causing immense damage to chariots and possible loss of
      life. Some say the world will cease to exist at the moment of
      transition. Anyway, we are still continuing to work on this Y
      zero K problem. I will send a parchment to you if anything further
      develops.

      If you have any ideas please let me know,