RE: [ujeni] Livin in my own private Idaho

  • John Patten
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
      actually, they are going to teach me on the range
      here. Riding around in the humvee the driver said he
      had to drive and had his 9mm, so if anything happened
      pick up the M-16 resting on my knee and go for it. I
      can't wait to shoot. I said shoot heh heh

      --- Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...> wrote:

      > Wow!....stay low and make sure you sight your M-16
      > before you go out in the
      > field...

      > Don�t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN
      > Search!

      > --------------------~-->

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/o20olB/TM

      http://vote.yahoo.com
    • John Patten
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2004
        please disregard that last transmission. as Paul is
        too much clever, he secretly disguised the email
        address and I thought I was writing back to him and
        the not the group. We sometimes speak in beavis and
        butthead language. I apologize unreservedly.

        Incidentally, please refer to him in future
        correspondence as "Andrea" now. He'll explain.

        JP

        http://vote.yahoo.com
      • Vyrle Owens
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2004

          Dear all,

          The below article crossed my email today. I found it to be a bit
          disturbing as well as informative. I will let the author and the
          article speak for themselves.

          The link is: Sojourners [sojourners@...]
          Look for the SojoMail 10.13.04

          Y'all be good,

          Vyrle

          Pro-life? Look at the fruits
          by Dr. Glen Harold Stassen

          I am a Christian ethicist, and trained in statistical analysis. I am
          consistently pro-life. My son David is one witness. For my family,
          "pro-life" is personal. My wife caught rubella in the eighth week of her
          pregnancy. We decided not to terminate, to love and raise our baby.
          David is legally blind and severely handicapped; he also is a blessing
          to us and to the world.

          I look at the fruits of political policies more than words. I analyzed
          the data on abortion during the George W. Bush presidency. There is no
          single source for this information - federal reports go only to 2000,
          and many states do not report - but I found enough data to identify
          trends. My findings are counterintuitive and disturbing.

          Abortion was decreasing. When President Bush took office, the nation's
          abortion rates were at a 24-year low, after a 17.4% decline during the
          1990s. This was an average decrease of 1.7% per year, mostly during the
          latter part of the decade. (This data comes from Minnesota Citizens
          Concerned for Life using the Guttmacher Institute's studies).

          Enter George W. Bush in 2001. One would expect the abortion rate to
          continue its consistent course downward, if not plunge. Instead, the
          opposite happened.

          I found three states that have posted multi-year statistics through
          2003, and abortion rates have risen in all three: Kentucky's increased
          by 3.2% from 2000 to 2003. Michigan's increased by 11.3% from 2000 to
          2003. Pennsylvania's increased by 1.9% from 1999 to 2002. I found 13
          additional states that reported statistics for 2001 and 2002. Eight
          states saw an increase in abortion rates (14.6% average increase), and
          five saw a decrease (4.3% average decrease).

          Under President Bush, the decade-long trend of declining abortion rates
          appears to have reversed. Given the trends of the 1990s, 52,000 more
          abortions occurred in the United States in 2002 than would have been
          expected before this change of direction.

          How could this be? I see three contributing factors:
          First, two thirds of women who abort say they cannot afford a child
          (Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life Web site). In the past three
          years, unemployment rates increased half again. Not since Hoover had
          there been a net loss of jobs during a presidency until the current
          administration. Average real incomes decreased, and for seven years the
          minimum wage has not been raised to match inflation. With less income,
          many prospective mothers fear another mouth to feed.

          Second, half of all women who abort say they do not have a reliable mate
          (Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life). Men who are jobless usually do
          not marry. Only three of the 16 states had more marriages in 2002 than
          in 2001, and in those states abortion rates decreased. In the 16 states
          overall, there were 16,392 fewer marriages than the year before, and
          7,869 more abortions. As male unemployment increases, marriages fall and
          abortion rises.

          Third, women worry about health care for themselves and their children.
          Since 5.2 million more people have no health insurance now than before
          this presidency - with women of childbearing age overrepresented in
          those 5.2 million - abortion increases.

          The U.S. Catholic Bishops warned of this likely outcome if support for
          families with children was cut back. My wife and I know - as does my son
          David - that doctors, nurses, hospitals, medical insurance, special
          schooling, and parental employment are crucial for a special child.
          David attended the Kentucky School for the Blind, as well as several
          schools for children with cerebral palsy and other disabilities. He was
          mainstreamed in public schools as well. We have two other sons and five
          grandchildren, and we know that every mother, father, and child needs
          public and family support.

          What does this tell us? Economic policy and abortion are not separate
          issues; they form one moral imperative. Rhetoric is hollow, mere
          tinkling brass, without health care, health insurance, jobs, child care,
          and a living wage. Pro-life in deed, not merely in word, means we need
          policies that provide jobs and health insurance and support for
          prospective mothers.

          Glen Stassen is the Lewis B. Smedes Professor of Christian Ethics at
          Fuller Theological Seminary, and the co-author of Kingdom Ethics:
          Following Jesus in Contemporary Context, Christianity Today's Book of
          the Year in theology or ethics.

          ---
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 15, 2004
            Quite interesting...someone should send it to the RNC....