RE: [ujeni] Livin in my own private Idaho

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
      Wow!....stay low and make sure you sight your M-16 before you go out in the
      field...

    • John Patten
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
        actually, they are going to teach me on the range
        here. Riding around in the humvee the driver said he
        had to drive and had his 9mm, so if anything happened
        pick up the M-16 resting on my knee and go for it. I
        can't wait to shoot. I said shoot heh heh

        --- Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...> wrote:

        > Wow!....stay low and make sure you sight your M-16
        > before you go out in the
        > field...

        > Don�t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN
        > Search!

        > --------------------~-->

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/o20olB/TM

        http://vote.yahoo.com
      • John Patten
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2004
          please disregard that last transmission. as Paul is
          too much clever, he secretly disguised the email
          address and I thought I was writing back to him and
          the not the group. We sometimes speak in beavis and
          butthead language. I apologize unreservedly.

          Incidentally, please refer to him in future
          correspondence as "Andrea" now. He'll explain.

          JP

          http://vote.yahoo.com
        • Vyrle Owens
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 13, 2004

            Dear all,

            The below article crossed my email today. I found it to be a bit
            disturbing as well as informative. I will let the author and the
            article speak for themselves.

            The link is: Sojourners [sojourners@...]
            Look for the SojoMail 10.13.04

            Y'all be good,

            Vyrle

            Pro-life? Look at the fruits
            by Dr. Glen Harold Stassen

            I am a Christian ethicist, and trained in statistical analysis. I am
            consistently pro-life. My son David is one witness. For my family,
            "pro-life" is personal. My wife caught rubella in the eighth week of her
            pregnancy. We decided not to terminate, to love and raise our baby.
            David is legally blind and severely handicapped; he also is a blessing
            to us and to the world.

            I look at the fruits of political policies more than words. I analyzed
            the data on abortion during the George W. Bush presidency. There is no
            single source for this information - federal reports go only to 2000,
            and many states do not report - but I found enough data to identify
            trends. My findings are counterintuitive and disturbing.

            Abortion was decreasing. When President Bush took office, the nation's
            abortion rates were at a 24-year low, after a 17.4% decline during the
            1990s. This was an average decrease of 1.7% per year, mostly during the
            latter part of the decade. (This data comes from Minnesota Citizens
            Concerned for Life using the Guttmacher Institute's studies).

            Enter George W. Bush in 2001. One would expect the abortion rate to
            continue its consistent course downward, if not plunge. Instead, the
            opposite happened.

            I found three states that have posted multi-year statistics through
            2003, and abortion rates have risen in all three: Kentucky's increased
            by 3.2% from 2000 to 2003. Michigan's increased by 11.3% from 2000 to
            2003. Pennsylvania's increased by 1.9% from 1999 to 2002. I found 13
            additional states that reported statistics for 2001 and 2002. Eight
            states saw an increase in abortion rates (14.6% average increase), and
            five saw a decrease (4.3% average decrease).

            Under President Bush, the decade-long trend of declining abortion rates
            appears to have reversed. Given the trends of the 1990s, 52,000 more
            abortions occurred in the United States in 2002 than would have been
            expected before this change of direction.

            How could this be? I see three contributing factors:
            First, two thirds of women who abort say they cannot afford a child
            (Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life Web site). In the past three
            years, unemployment rates increased half again. Not since Hoover had
            there been a net loss of jobs during a presidency until the current
            administration. Average real incomes decreased, and for seven years the
            minimum wage has not been raised to match inflation. With less income,
            many prospective mothers fear another mouth to feed.

            Second, half of all women who abort say they do not have a reliable mate
            (Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life). Men who are jobless usually do
            not marry. Only three of the 16 states had more marriages in 2002 than
            in 2001, and in those states abortion rates decreased. In the 16 states
            overall, there were 16,392 fewer marriages than the year before, and
            7,869 more abortions. As male unemployment increases, marriages fall and
            abortion rises.

            Third, women worry about health care for themselves and their children.
            Since 5.2 million more people have no health insurance now than before
            this presidency - with women of childbearing age overrepresented in
            those 5.2 million - abortion increases.

            The U.S. Catholic Bishops warned of this likely outcome if support for
            families with children was cut back. My wife and I know - as does my son
            David - that doctors, nurses, hospitals, medical insurance, special
            schooling, and parental employment are crucial for a special child.
            David attended the Kentucky School for the Blind, as well as several
            schools for children with cerebral palsy and other disabilities. He was
            mainstreamed in public schools as well. We have two other sons and five
            grandchildren, and we know that every mother, father, and child needs
            public and family support.

            What does this tell us? Economic policy and abortion are not separate
            issues; they form one moral imperative. Rhetoric is hollow, mere
            tinkling brass, without health care, health insurance, jobs, child care,
            and a living wage. Pro-life in deed, not merely in word, means we need
            policies that provide jobs and health insurance and support for
            prospective mothers.

            Glen Stassen is the Lewis B. Smedes Professor of Christian Ethics at
            Fuller Theological Seminary, and the co-author of Kingdom Ethics:
            Following Jesus in Contemporary Context, Christianity Today's Book of
            the Year in theology or ethics.

            ---
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 15, 2004
              Quite interesting...someone should send it to the RNC....