UK Sport - NEWS Malawi project provides Olympic chance.htm

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2004
      UK Sport - NEWS: Malawi project provides Olympic chance
      Leading the UK to sporting excellence
      leading sport in the uk

      HomeAthens 2004About UK SportWinning AthletesWorld Class EventsEthically Fair & Drug-Free SportSupporting ExcellenceLinksPress OfficeNewsSporting Calendar
      Site Search
      Malawi project provides Olympic chance
      Russell Langley   10/08/2004
      The Olympic stadium where Chiwina will compete
      The Olympic stadium where Chiwina will compete
      Photo/Getty Images
      UK Sport’s international development work has paid dividends for one athlete in Malawi. Kondwani Chiwina, an 800m runner, will be one of only two athletes representing his country at the Olympic Games having received help from John Woodcock, an athletics coach working in Malawi as part of a UK Sport/VSO sports development programme.

      Woodcock, who has taken two years off from his job as an athletics development officer in Bradford, has been working with Chiwina since last November during which time the runner has knocked five seconds off his personal best in order to qualify for the Games. He is in Malawi as part of a programme set up last year to help tackle the rapid spread of HIV and AIDS in Africa.

      "In Malawi, children are sports mad and will compete if they are given the chance. So sport provides a natural way to introduce HIV and AIDS education," said Woodcock.

      Running from 2003 to 2006, the programme is targeting the 54% of children in Malawi who do not attend school and are most susceptible to infection due to a lack of information and support. The aim is to raise awareness of the disease in the 15-25 age group by integrating HIV/AIDS education into sport.

      UK Sport has awarded £80,000 over four years in support of the programme. John Scott, Director of International Relations and Major Events at UK Sport, said: "UK Sport has had a long and productive relationship with VSO and we hope this new initiative in Malawi will play a key role in raising awareness of HIV and AIDS in the region.

      "Sport is a powerful tool that can be used to stimulate development, particularly among the young. UK Sport is currently involved with a number of projects around the world to benefit countries less fortunate than us. We have long recognised the impact that VSO volunteers have at community level in effecting change, and we are delighted that this new programme is having similar results."

      RELATED LINKS

      *** UK SPORT EMAIL NEWSLETTER - SUBSCRIBE NOW ***

      UK Sport's free weekly email newsletter
      keeps you informed of all the latest developments in sport in the UK. To subscribe to the newsletter, and for more information, please
      click here.

      Back to News SearchEmail PageEmail Page Print PagePrint Page

      © 2004 UK SportEditorial Policy | Disclaimer | Feedback | Sitemap | Contact UsReturn Top

      created by Design One

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2004
        Yes, I was leaving Malawi for some destination in 1996 and was at the
        airpoort when the "Olympic Team" returned. I tihnk about 3-4 athletes and
        officials in the neighborhood of 20+...all laden with consumer goods and
        trinkets that I think even entered duty free..........

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2004
          Did you see the opening ceremony with the Malawian
          team? They had about seven athletes, and in classic
          Malawi fashion the flag bearer went too fast at one
          point and ran into the Greek lady in front carrying
          their country placard. It gave me that warm heart of
          Africa feeling enough to get over the story in Ananova
          about the Catholic Malawian priest and Nun caught
          having sex in a parked car recently. Viva la Malawi!!

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/o20olB/TM

          http://mail.yahoo.com