OPen Water...movie about PCVS?????

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 16, 2004
      Just saw Fahrenhieit 9/11...good movie if not exactly a documentary since it
      shows a clear bias...

      But, there was a preview for a movie called Open Water about two Americans
      diving in Bahamas who were left stranded by their tour operator and then
      they died...sounds like a story of two RPCVs who were on vacation on their
      way home and got stranded....

      Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living. http://lexus.msn.com/
    • Bell, Elizabeth
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 19, 2004
        Hi Paul,

        I wonder if that is based on a real event - a married PCV couple went
        diving in Australia on their way home from their service in Fiji (?). I
        remember hearing about it a few years ago. They found some of their
        equipment - I believe their life jackets washed up - but don't know if
        they ever found the couple themselves. It was quite a mystery, at the
        time there was a lot of uncertainly as to what actually happened to
        them.

        Liz

        Elizabeth Bell Meaney, MPH
        Polio Eradication Branch
        Global Immunization Division

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 19, 2004
          I can't remember the name, but my favorite PCV movie starred two-time Oscar-winner
          Tom Hanks as an indebted rich youngster who cons his way on board a PCV
          plane bound for East Asia. Little does he realize he is about to learn valuable
          life-lessons about building cross-cultural bridges... an inspiring film.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 19, 2004
            VOLUNTEERS with John Candy (Tom T Tuttle frm Tacoma Washington), and Gedi
            Watanabe (We din't want that bridge anyway..., and Ji Tu Kumbuka as the loan
            shark's muscle...

            Message 5 of 13 , May 16, 2006
              Dirty dancing had a refernce to Peace Corps Volunteers since the
              older/younger daughter wanted to be a PCV....

              PS: Open Water is based on fact: there was a PCV couple that went diving in
              Fiji ro somewqhere on a COS trip and they died when the operator "forgot"
              them...; no word on the romantic aspect of the movie....

              Here is Ji Tu Kumbuka's filmography:

              Ji-Tu Cumbuka

              Date of birth (location)
              Montgomery County, Alabama, USA
              Trivia
              Ji-tu means "Giant man" in Swahili. (show more)
              Sometimes Credited As:
              Ji-Tu / Ji Tu Kambuka / Ji Tu II

              IMDbPro Professional Details

              Filmography as: Actor

              Actor - filmography
              (2000s) (1990s) (1980s) (1970s) (1960s)

              "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation"
              ... aka C.S.I. (USA: short title)
              ... aka CSI: Las Vegas (USA: syndication title)
              ... aka CSI: Weekends (USA: promotional title)
              ... aka Experts, Les (Canada: French title)
              - Viva Las Vegas (2004) TV Episode .... Hot Dog Vendor

              "Walker, Texas Ranger"
              - Stolen Lullaby (1994) TV Episode .... Dexter
              "In the Heat of the Night"
              - Times Long Shadow (1994) TV Episode (as Ji Tu II) .... Dale
              Midnight Edition (1993) .... Reginald Brown
              "Knots Landing"
              - My Bullet (1990) TV Episode .... Security Director
              - Out of Control (1990) TV Episode .... Security Director
              Caged in Paradiso (1990) .... Josh
              ... aka Maximum Security (USA)

              "Matlock"
              - The Prisoner: Part 2 (1989) TV Episode .... Jerry Stone
              - The Prisoner: Part 1 (1989) TV Episode .... Jerry Stone
              Harlem Nights (1989) .... Toothless Gambler
              "Murder, She Wrote"
              - Night of the Tarantula (1989) TV Episode (as Ji-Tu) .... Calder
              Williams
              "Alien Nation"
              - The Takeover (1989) TV Episode .... Andrew Craig
              Moving (1988) .... Edwards
              "Crime Story"
              - Moulin Rouge (1988) TV Episode .... Buzz
              Glitch! (1988) (as Ji Tu Kambuka) .... Mookie
              "The Bronx Zoo"
              - It's Hard to be a Saint in the City (1987) TV Episode .... The Drink
              Guy
              "227"
              - Low Noon (1987) TV Episode (as Ji-Tu) .... Second Poker Player
              Kingpins (1987) (TV) .... Sonny Whitaker
              "Hunter"
              - Hot Pursuit: Part 1 (1987) TV Episode .... Homer
              - Scrap Metal (1986) TV Episode .... Homer
              "St. Elsewhere"
              - Jose, Can You See? (1987) TV Episode
              Outrageous Fortune (1987) .... Cab driver
              Sister Margaret and the Saturday Night Ladies (1987) (TV) .... Horace
              "MacGyver"
              - Silent World (1986) TV Episode .... Moorish Rider
              "Amen"
              - Sermon from the Cell (1986) TV Episode .... Willie
              Out of Bounds (1986) .... Lemar
              "The A-Team"
              - The Heart of Rock N' Roll (1985) TV Episode
              - Knights of the Road (1985) TV Episode
              Volunteers (1985) .... Cicero
              Doin' Time (1985) .... Bernie Feldstein
              Covenant (1985) (TV) .... Duboff
              Brewster's Millions (1985) .... Melvin
              "Knight Rider"
              - Ten Wheel Trouble (1985) TV Episode .... Trucker
              "The Dukes of Hazzard"
              - Opening Night at the Boar's Nest (1985) TV Episode .... Bubba Malone
              "Riptide"
              - Prisoner of War (1985) TV Episode .... Blademan
              "Falcon Crest"
              - Suitable for Framing (1984) TV Episode .... Hood
              Bachelor Party (1984) .... Alley Pimp
              "Hardcastle and McCormick"
              - The Crystal Duck (1983) TV Episode .... Giles
              Death Ray 2000 (1981) (TV) .... Torque
              ... aka T.R. Sloane

              Flesh & Blood (1979) (TV) .... Woody Shaw
              "A Man Called Sloane" (1979) TV Series .... Torque
              Ebony, Ivory and Jade (1979) (TV) .... Thurston
              Walk Proud (1979) .... Sergeant Gannett
              The Jericho Mile (1979) (TV) .... Brother Lateef
              Mandrake (1979) (TV) .... Lothar
              Angela (1978)
              ... aka Angela - il suo unico peccato era l'amore... il suo unico amore era
              il figlio (Italy)
              Last of the Good Guys (1978) (TV) (uncredited) .... Officer Marv Pulaski
              "Young Dan'l Boone" (1977) TV Series .... Hawk
              "Sanford and Son"
              - Fred Sings the Blues (1977) TV Episode .... Edmond
              Fun with Dick and Jane (1977) .... Guard
              "Roots" (1977) (mini) TV Series .... Wrestler
              Bound for Glory (1976) .... Slim Snedeger
              "Police Story"
              - Trash Detail, Front and Center (1976) TV Episode .... Gold Tooth
              "S.W.A.T."
              - Any Second Now (1976) TV Episode
              "The Rockford Files"
              ... aka Jim Rockford, Private Investigator (USA: syndication title)
              - Foul on the First Play (1976) TV Episode .... Sherm Addison
              Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde (1976) .... Lt. Jackson
              ... aka Dr. Black and Mr. Hyde
              ... aka Dr. Black and Mr. White
              ... aka The Watts Monster (USA: reissue title)
              "The Streets of San Francisco"
              - No Place to Hide (1975) TV Episode .... Lafayette Delacroix
              The Blue Knight (1975) (TV) .... Leroy 'Tank' Whittier
              Mandingo (1975) .... Cicero
              "Lucas Tanner"
              - One to One (1975) TV Episode .... Bouncer
              "Caribe"
              - The Mercenary (1975) TV Episode .... Sergeant Fenn
              "Kung Fu"
              - Barbary House (1975) TV Episode .... Omar
              The Dream Makers (1975) (TV) .... Speedout
              ... aka Death of Sammy
              "Kojak"
              - A Very Deadly Game (1974) TV Episode .... John 'Blue' Andrews
              - One for the Morgue (1973) TV Episode .... Slade
              "Get Christie Love"
              - Emperor of Death Street (1974) TV Episode .... Shark
              "Chase"
              - The Game Ball (1974) TV Episode
              Lost in the Stars (1974) .... Johannes
              Maurie (1973) .... Oscar
              ... aka Big Mo
              Trader Horn (1973) .... Orange Stripe
              Up the Sandbox (1972) .... Black Captain
              "Night Gallery"
              ... aka Rod Serling's Night Gallery (USA)
              - The Ring with the Red Velvet Ropes (1972) TV Episode .... Big Dan
              Anger
              Blacula (1972) .... Skillet
              Top of the Heap (1972) .... Pot Peddler
              Brian's Song (1971) (TV) .... Roommate
              "Daniel Boone"
              - Run for the Money (1970) TV Episode .... Linus Hunter

              Change of Habit (1969) .... Hawk
              "It Takes a Thief"
              - To Catch a Roaring Lion (1968) TV Episode
              Up Tight! (1968) .... Rick

              Message 6 of 13 , May 16, 2006
                I have 2 questions: (1) How did this thread resurface after nearly 2 years???
                and (2) "Volunteers" with Tom Hanks was a true story as well, no? Tom Tuttle
                is not in the Tacoma white pages, but he seems to have moved across the
                bay to Federal Way. Look it up.

                Message 7 of 13 , May 17, 2006
                  SOmeone responded to my comment.....

                  I have 2 questions: (1) How did this thread resurface after nearly 2
                  years???
                  and (2) "Volunteers" with Tom Hanks was a true story as well, no? Tom Tuttle
                  is not in the Tacoma white pages, but he seems to have moved across the
                  bay to Federal Way. Look it up.

                • Kym Walther
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 17, 2006
                    Hello all!
                    Open water was based on real events that took place off of Aerlie (sp?)  Beach in Australia, on the great barrier Reef.  Last year I went on a 3 day dive trip on the reef on the sister boat in the company that led that excursion.  The Northeastern State in Aussie now has some ridiculsouly strict diving laws as a result of that event.

                    btw. Did anyone see the article last week in which Kenya banned all public smoking?  I live in Georgia, and we cant even seem to get our act together on that, Kenya has moved ahead of us!!!

                    Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...> wrote:
                    Dirty dancing had a refernce to Peace Corps Volunteers since the
                    older/younger daughter wanted to be a PCV....

                    PS: Open Water is based on fact: there was a PCV couple that went diving in
                    Fiji ro somewqhere on a COS trip and they died when the operator "forgot"
                    them...; no word on the romantic aspect of the movie....

                    Here is Ji Tu Kumbuka's filmography:

                    Ji-Tu Cumbuka

                    Date of birth (location)

                    --- In ujeni@yahoogroups.com, "Paul DEVER" wrote:

                    > VOLUNTEERS with John Candy (Tom T Tuttle frm Tacoma Washington),
                    and Gedi
                    > Watanabe (We din't want that bridge anyway..., and Ji Tu Kumbuka
                    as the loan
                    > shark's muscle...

                    You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See how.
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/o20olB/TM

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 18, 2006
                      Yeah, but Zell Miller did not make off with 50 million in gold.......

                      wrote:

                      > VOLUNTEERS with John Candy (Tom T Tuttle frm Tacoma Washington),
                      and Gedi
                      > Watanabe (We din't want that bridge anyway..., and Ji Tu Kumbuka
                      as the loan
                      > shark's muscle...

                      ---------------------------------
                      Blab-away for as little as 1�/min. Make PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo!
                      Messenger with Voice.
                    • Felix Edwards

                        I remember Ji Tu Kumbuka. He was in some action series in the
                        1970's, as a secret agent, with a missing hand. In place of his
                        hand was a multifunction prosthetic, with drills, lock picks,
                        clippers, and all sorts of neat devices. Now, if I could only
                        remember the name of the series. Anyone out there remember it?

                        --- In ujeni@yahoogroups.com, "Paul DEVER" wrote:

                        > VOLUNTEERS with John Candy (Tom T Tuttle frm Tacoma Washington),
                        and Gedi
                        > Watanabe (We din't want that bridge anyway..., and Ji Tu Kumbuka
                        as the loan
                        > shark's muscle...

                      • Rey & Robin
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 22, 2006
                          Yo Laddie, welcome and say "Ta-ra" to yurr Ma fer me.
                          --- In ujeni@yahoogroups.com, "Felix Edwards" <felixedwards@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Kenya has moved ahead of you? when were they behind you? I was
                          just in Nairobi and it was far more civilised than I expect the US
                          to be when I arrive tomorrow...

                        • Felix Edwards
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 23, 2006
                            Rey
                            I really do find such communication quite offensive, particularly so when my mother passed away two years ago.  I would be most appreciative if you could show a little more respect and common decency.
                            Felix
                            wrote:

                            > Kenya has moved ahead of you?  when were they behind you?  I was
                            just in Nairobi and it was far more civilised than I expect the US
                            to be when I arrive tomorrow...

                          • Rey & Robin
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                              Sorry All,
                              This is a private matter between Felix and myself and we should
                              never have brought it into this forum.
                              Only Paul does the "zinging" in the Ujeni.
                              --Rey

                              wrote:

                              > Rey
                              > I really do find such communication quite offensive, particularly
                              so when my mother passed away two years ago. I would be most
                              appreciative if you could show a little more respect and common
                              decency.
                              > Felix

                              Terms