Re: [ujeni] airport tax

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 16 8:47 AM
      THUNKS for the memory. I had forgotten the authority with which one's
      passport was thunked until our recent return. And with such a serious face
      too.

      Enroute we were diverted through Kenya. That was a great reintroduction to
      Africa as I remembered it. The airport/Kenya Airline staff were very
      purposeful and methodical in their duties. Ahead of us in their THUNK line
      was a gentleman whose papers were not in order according to the authorities.
      My impression was they were not quite sure how they were out of order and
      how necessarily to resolve the out-of-orderness. Took about 5 minutes of
      perusing the passport, the visa, and other accompanying documents to sort it
      out. I was sweating it in spite of the fact it wasn't me who was in jeopardy
      of being left behind.

      Cathy was reminded we were back when she went to the toilet at the airport
      (notice I didn't say restroom or bathroom which causes you to get funny
      looks when asking for the toilet) and discovered a little dustbin next to
      the commode. Don
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 16 9:20 PM
        Watch?????? What planet do you come from???? Oh, that's
        right..California.....

        It is two sawbucks...and two and a half double sawbucks equals a Grant or
        half a Franklin.....

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 16 9:22 PM
          Uh, that "much" would be 100%???

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 17 4:17 AM
            Man, 30 bucks just to leave? That should at least come
            with a neck massage.

          • Weber
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 17 8:45 AM
              I should got more than that since had to pay for the "little woman" and the
              2 grandkids. Conveniently, for them, they ndilibe ndalama.

              After reading the comments about the distribution of the departure tax, I
              was recalling that the guy collecting had a system---all the dollars in a
              pile on the left and the kwacha in a pile on the right. Now you did get a
              receipt which was then handed to a lady who thunked your passport so
              presumably this reconciled the correct amount which then was turned over to
              the government so they could use it to help pay civil servants and improve
              the infrastructure. I am shocked by those of you who would think otherwise.
              Don

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 17 6:56 PM
                Just as certain groups keep two sets of books, I am sure that some sections
                keep two sets of receipt books. How many people have actually tried to
                reconcile the "Official Receipts" that goernment agencies give out,
                especiually if you are on the way out of the country....

                Perhaps a MUGger in Blantyre could assist with that project since you left
                from Chileka.....

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 19 11:53 PM
                  Airport tax is at MK1,500 (equivalent to US$14)

                  aLICE

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail