Re: [ujeni] airport tax

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 15, 2004
      What's a Hamilton, a watch or a blender? Don
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 15, 2004
        Don Weber,

        Great informative posting. Thanks.

        One wonders how much of those great folks at Chileka carried the greenbacks home versus deposited them into the official airport export tax accounts?

        Chileka is not one of my favorite places on earth, I must admit.

        John Strain
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 15, 2004
          At no airport will you hear a louder "THUNK" than when they stamp your passport
          on arrival.

          >Chileka is not one of my favorite places on earth, I must admit.
          >
          >John Strain
        • John Strain
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 16, 2004
            Funny, for me, there were two THUNKS, one was letting me in again, in 1979, and one was on leaving, a week after that. It is a long story, and far too long to go into on this public forum. I love Malawi and all its people save for the politicians.

            Please visit my website called Friends of Malawi at www.friendsofmalawi.org and take a look, particularly the photo galleries from my stuff and several other RPCVs.  Should any other RPCVs, who are active FOM members, have some great pictures to post on the site, they are always welcome. I prefer good photographs verses snap shots of groups of unidentified village folks. I'd welcome any with a caption suggestion for each picture. Please email me directly at jwstrain@... should you like to contribute.

            Thanks / Zikhomo kwambiri ndithudi.

            John

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 16, 2004
              THUNKS for the memory. I had forgotten the authority with which one's
              passport was thunked until our recent return. And with such a serious face
              too.

              Enroute we were diverted through Kenya. That was a great reintroduction to
              Africa as I remembered it. The airport/Kenya Airline staff were very
              purposeful and methodical in their duties. Ahead of us in their THUNK line
              was a gentleman whose papers were not in order according to the authorities.
              My impression was they were not quite sure how they were out of order and
              how necessarily to resolve the out-of-orderness. Took about 5 minutes of
              perusing the passport, the visa, and other accompanying documents to sort it
              out. I was sweating it in spite of the fact it wasn't me who was in jeopardy
              of being left behind.

              Cathy was reminded we were back when she went to the toilet at the airport
              (notice I didn't say restroom or bathroom which causes you to get funny
              looks when asking for the toilet) and discovered a little dustbin next to
              the commode. Don

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 16, 2004
                Watch?????? What planet do you come from???? Oh, that's
                right..California.....

                It is two sawbucks...and two and a half double sawbucks equals a Grant or
                half a Franklin.....

                What's a Hamilton, a watch or a blender? Don

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 16, 2004
                  Uh, that "much" would be 100%???

                  > anyone know the current amount of the airport departure tax in
                  Lilongwe?

                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > David
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Service.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 17, 2004
                    Man, 30 bucks just to leave? That should at least come
                    with a neck massage.

                  • Weber
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 17, 2004
                      I should got more than that since had to pay for the "little woman" and the
                      2 grandkids. Conveniently, for them, they ndilibe ndalama.

                      After reading the comments about the distribution of the departure tax, I
                      was recalling that the guy collecting had a system---all the dollars in a
                      pile on the left and the kwacha in a pile on the right. Now you did get a
                      receipt which was then handed to a lady who thunked your passport so
                      presumably this reconciled the correct amount which then was turned over to
                      the government so they could use it to help pay civil servants and improve
                      the infrastructure. I am shocked by those of you who would think otherwise.
                      Don

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 17, 2004
                        Just as certain groups keep two sets of books, I am sure that some sections
                        keep two sets of receipt books. How many people have actually tried to
                        reconcile the "Official Receipts" that goernment agencies give out,
                        especiually if you are on the way out of the country....

                        Perhaps a MUGger in Blantyre could assist with that project since you left
                        from Chileka.....

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 19, 2004
                          Airport tax is at MK1,500 (equivalent to US$14)

                          aLICE

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail