RE: [ujeni] airport tax

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 15, 2004
      Take a Hamilton and you should do nicely....

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 15, 2004
        We just departed Blantyre on July 5th and the departure tax was $US
        30--Cash, greenbacks, no Kwacha allowed for the foreigner. Be prepared. Don
        Weber
        > anyone know the current amount of the airport departure tax in Lilongwe?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > David
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Weber
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 15, 2004
          What's a Hamilton, a watch or a blender? Don
          > Take a Hamilton and you should do nicely....

        • John Strain
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 15, 2004
            Don Weber,

            Great informative posting. Thanks.

            One wonders how much of those great folks at Chileka carried the greenbacks home versus deposited them into the official airport export tax accounts?

            Chileka is not one of my favorite places on earth, I must admit.

            John Strain
            We just departed Blantyre on July 5th and the departure tax was $US
            30--Cash, greenbacks, no Kwacha allowed for the foreigner. Be prepared.  Don
            Weber
            > anyone know the current amount of the airport departure tax in Lilongwe?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > David
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Scott Geibel
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 15, 2004
              At no airport will you hear a louder "THUNK" than when they stamp your passport
              on arrival.

              >Chileka is not one of my favorite places on earth, I must admit.
              >
              >John Strain
            • John Strain
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 16, 2004
                Funny, for me, there were two THUNKS, one was letting me in again, in 1979, and one was on leaving, a week after that. It is a long story, and far too long to go into on this public forum. I love Malawi and all its people save for the politicians.

                Please visit my website called Friends of Malawi at www.friendsofmalawi.org and take a look, particularly the photo galleries from my stuff and several other RPCVs.  Should any other RPCVs, who are active FOM members, have some great pictures to post on the site, they are always welcome. I prefer good photographs verses snap shots of groups of unidentified village folks. I'd welcome any with a caption suggestion for each picture. Please email me directly at jwstrain@... should you like to contribute.

                Thanks / Zikhomo kwambiri ndithudi.

                John

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 16, 2004
                  THUNKS for the memory. I had forgotten the authority with which one's
                  passport was thunked until our recent return. And with such a serious face
                  too.

                  Enroute we were diverted through Kenya. That was a great reintroduction to
                  Africa as I remembered it. The airport/Kenya Airline staff were very
                  purposeful and methodical in their duties. Ahead of us in their THUNK line
                  was a gentleman whose papers were not in order according to the authorities.
                  My impression was they were not quite sure how they were out of order and
                  how necessarily to resolve the out-of-orderness. Took about 5 minutes of
                  perusing the passport, the visa, and other accompanying documents to sort it
                  out. I was sweating it in spite of the fact it wasn't me who was in jeopardy
                  of being left behind.

                  Cathy was reminded we were back when she went to the toilet at the airport
                  (notice I didn't say restroom or bathroom which causes you to get funny
                  looks when asking for the toilet) and discovered a little dustbin next to
                  the commode. Don

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 16, 2004
                    Watch?????? What planet do you come from???? Oh, that's
                    right..California.....

                    It is two sawbucks...and two and a half double sawbucks equals a Grant or
                    half a Franklin.....

                    What's a Hamilton, a watch or a blender? Don

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 16, 2004
                      Uh, that "much" would be 100%???

                      > anyone know the current amount of the airport departure tax in
                      Lilongwe?

                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > David
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Service.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 17, 2004
                        Man, 30 bucks just to leave? That should at least come
                        with a neck massage.

                      • Weber
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 17, 2004
                          I should got more than that since had to pay for the "little woman" and the
                          2 grandkids. Conveniently, for them, they ndilibe ndalama.

                          After reading the comments about the distribution of the departure tax, I
                          was recalling that the guy collecting had a system---all the dollars in a
                          pile on the left and the kwacha in a pile on the right. Now you did get a
                          receipt which was then handed to a lady who thunked your passport so
                          presumably this reconciled the correct amount which then was turned over to
                          the government so they could use it to help pay civil servants and improve
                          the infrastructure. I am shocked by those of you who would think otherwise.
                          Don

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 17, 2004
                            Just as certain groups keep two sets of books, I am sure that some sections
                            keep two sets of receipt books. How many people have actually tried to
                            reconcile the "Official Receipts" that goernment agencies give out,
                            especiually if you are on the way out of the country....

                            Perhaps a MUGger in Blantyre could assist with that project since you left
                            from Chileka.....

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 19, 2004
                              Airport tax is at MK1,500 (equivalent to US$14)

                              aLICE

                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail