    Message 1 of 1046 , Jun 30, 2004
      Malawi leader targets donor aid

      In his first state of the nation address, Malawi's new president has
      said his priority is to resume funding from international donors.
      President Bingu wa Mutharika said this would help raise Malawi's growth

      Donors suspended aid worth $75m over concerns about over-spending by
      the previous government.

      Mr Mutharika was speaking in parliament, which on Monday elected his
      candidate as speaker, confirming that a majority of MPs backed him.

      Observers criticised the conduct of last month's poll but two key
      critics have agreed to back Mr Mutharika, a trained economist.

      Food aid

      This handed him a majority in parliament and ended street and legal
      protests over his election.

      Interest rates: 40%
      Inflation: 14%
      Foreign exchange reserves: 2.6 months of imports
      Currency fallen 25% since 2002
      600,000 need food aid

      "The priority of my government is to resume the economic programme with
      the IMF so that we can access resources necessary to fix the growth
      process," Mr Mutharika said.

      President Mutharika said the "huge domestic debt has reached
      unsustainable levels" of $600m. Its external debt is $2.9bn.

      Some 600,000 Malawians need food aid and Mr Mutharika said he would
      introduce "strategic" agriculture programmes to increase food

      "I must say that a nation that cannot feed itself cannot claim to be a
      sovereign and independent country," he said.

      Zim opposition should be 'charged with treason'

      30 June 2004 11:49

      Heated debate erupted in Zimbabwe's Parliament on Tuesday when the
      ruling party said opposition lawmakers should be probed for treason for
      allegedly working with Britain, the former colonial power.

      President Robert Mugabe's ruling party lawmakers last week said they
      wanted to investigate a recent statement by British Prime Minister Tony
      Blair that his government was working with Zimbabwe's opposition
      Movement for Democratic Change (MDC).

      "I call for the MDC, and all members of the MDC, to be investigated,
      and if possible be charged with treason and suspended from Parliament,"
      Phillip Chiyangwa of the ruling Zimbabwe African National
      Union-Patriotic Front (Zanu-PF) told parliament.

      He accused the MDC of working "in concert with foreign and dangerous
      powers -- [including] Britain."

      The debate came after Information Minister Jonathan Moyo last week
      revealed in Parliament that Blair had told the British House of Commons
      that his government was working "closely with the MDC on the measures
      that we should take in respect of Zimbabwe".

      The ruling party said this was evidence that the MDC is a front for
      Britain, which it consistently accuses of wanting to oust the Mugabe

      Britain, along with the United States and the European Union, have
      imposed targetted travel and financial restrictions on Mugabe and dozens
      of his close associates for alleged human rights abuses.

      Opposition lawmaker Tendai Biti, defending his party, has said the
      ruling party has only itself to blame for its "self-imposed sanctions
      through misgovernance and misrule".

      Zimbabwe remains deeply politically divided and international efforts
      to broker conciliatory talks between the two sides have failed. -

      Hungry for Zimbabwe's land

      By Alastair Leithead
      BBC correspondent on the Zimbabwean border

      The radio crackles in the small office in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe's second
      city, as the few white farmers still left on the land keep in touch.

      Most white farmers have left the farms since the redistribution
      programme started

      The government's four-year land redistribution programme to undo
      "colonial wrongs" by giving white-owned land to black Zimbabweans has
      led to violence and death.

      White farmers are still being forced from their land, and the threats
      from war veterans and squatters are real, farmers say.

      "They've told some of my workers that if I don't move out they will
      kill one of my family, or burn the homesteads down," one farmer
      explained through tears of anger and frustration.

      'Racial thing'

      He is bitter and angry after two years of battling to keep his land.

      His vegetables supply some government departments and ministers, but
      this is not enough to protect him from losing his farm without

      "Once you leave your property you'll never go back, because they will
      take it over completely. Perhaps it is a racial thing - they don't like
      some of us whites, or all of us whites. They want what we have," he

      "My mind changes 10 times a day - sometimes I think we should surrender
      and get the hell out for my family's sake, but then I'm from Scottish
      descent and have Scottish blood in me - I do not surrender."

      Driving around areas that were huge commercial farms, it is obvious the
      impact the reform has been having.

      Small holdings have been set up by the road, but the wicker silos of
      maize are only a half or a third full - and the harvest has just been

      Maize is still being planted and grown, but a farmer explained to me it
      is the wrong season and is too cold; all the effort will yield nothing.

      The plight of the white farmers is a story often told, but the plight
      of the black farm workers whose livelihoods depended on the commercial
      farms are the true sufferers.

      'Die poor'

      "Most of the farm workers are now out of a job and are in such a bad
      situation now. This is where we got our money to feed our children and
      get them educated," said a black farm manager, who asked not to be

      "There should have been a system of distributing the land, but the way
      it was done was totally wrong. I worked my whole life thinking things
      will turn better at the end, but I'll just die poor as I am," he said.

      People are already suffering from this lack of food.

      I was taken to a derelict block of flats where a small group of
      children sang as they waited for lunch, their only meal of the day.

      A charity feeding programme has been set up there to help people who
      are desperately short of food, in a country which used to export maize
      to the rest of southern Africa.

      The project leader did not want her organisation named for fear the
      government will close them down.

      "It shows them up. It shows the rest of the world they are not doing
      what they are supposed to be doing which is caring for their people. The
      private agencies are having to come in and do that," she said.

      "Children are dying from starvation. We had children fainting and not
      able to even walk to get food as they were too weak.

      "This country has been brought to its knees and it is slowly dying. All
      we are doing is holding our finger in the dam trying to stop the final
      disaster - but it's coming."

      State television, however, shows happy Zimbabweans reaping record
      harvests, as the government boasts that there is more maize than the
      country needs.

      The United Nation's World Food Programme was recently banned from
      completing its crop assessment, but independent surveys say the country
      has only half of what it needs.

      Political weapon

      "They have a plan here to starve people to death for political ends -
      to get everyone aligned to their party at all costs, which is absolutely
      diabolical and vicious," says the Archbishop of Bulawayo, Pius Ncube, an
      outspoken critic of the government.

      "I'm very, very concerned as the government is telling lies, saying
      there is enough food and already babies are dying. We have statistics
      from the city council that 50 to 60 have died already of malnutrition.

      "I'm really scared that people will die by their thousands unless this
      matter of food is opened up."

      The battle for land
      There is evidence the ruling party has been using food aid as a
      political weapon.

      Last month there was a by-election in Lupane north of Bulawayo, which
      the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) lost, even though it
      is in the party's heartland.

      "The people of Lupane were told if they didn't vote for Zanu-PF, no
      food aid would be forthcoming. That had the effect of deterring some
      5,000 people who would have voted for us, like women with young children
      or vulnerable groups," said David Coulthard, the MDC's shadow justice

      The crops have just been harvested, and there is more maize around now
      than there will be next March, when the parliamentary elections are due
      to be held.

      The fear is that political manipulation of food aid will be used on a
      much bigger scale.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        Zambia: Malawians Grab Zambian Land

        The Times of Zambia (Ndola)