news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Jun 28, 2004
      Politics-Malawi: Inching Towards That 30 Percent Target

      Inter Press Service (Johannesburg)

      June 26, 2004
      Posted to the web June 28, 2004

      Frank Phiri
      Blantyre

      Slowly but surely, Malawi's women are making their presence felt in the
      country's traditionally male-dominated political arena.

      Twenty-seven women managed to secure seats in the 193-member
      legislature during the recent general elections, held May 20. This may
      not appear a considerable figure, but it marks an important increase
      over the achievements of the 1999 poll - in which only 17 women were
      elected. In the 1994 vote, 10 women became legislators.

      For Gertrude Mkandawire, a new opposition member of parliament (MP) for
      Mzimba Solola, a constituency in the far north of Malawi, winning the
      May 20 election was a triumph over customs that militate against women.

      The single mother of two belongs to the Ngoni tribe, which she
      describes as having little tolerance for women who aspire to leadership
      positions. The men in her community required some persuading before they
      would allow her to contest the poll.

      "It took a lot of courage because although I was accepted to contest,
      the men did not leave me to go it alone until I beat them at their own
      game in the actual poll," Mkandawire told IPS.

      But, as undeniable as the accomplishments of Mkandawire and other
      female MPs are, they haven't helped Malawi achieve the critical target
      of having 30 percent of parliamentary seats occupied by women, by 2005.

      This target was set by the 14-member Southern African Development
      Community (SADC) during a 1997 summit held in the Malawian commercial
      capital, Blantyre.

      "As individuals, it feels good to have won, but deep inside our hearts
      we feel women who contested could have done better," said Angela
      Zachepa, 22, and the youngest woman MP in the country's history.

      To achieve the 30 per cent threshold, 58 women would have needed to be
      elected in the May poll. In the SADC region, only South Africa,
      Mauritius and Mozambique have reached the target.

      "In general, we'd want to applaud the forward movement (concerning the
      election of women) while registering our concern that Malawi, the home
      of the SADC Declaration on Gender and Development, has not honoured its
      part of the deal," Colleen Lowe Morna, Executive Director of Gender
      Links, told IPS from Johannesburg.

      This South African-based non-governmental organisation (NGO) focuses on
      eliminating discrimination against women in media organisations, and in
      the media's portrayal of women.

      "As to why Malawi did not achieve the 30 percent target, this is due to
      the fact that the issue was given insufficient attention right to the
      very end. It required commitment at a political level, and then a lot of
      tangible strategies," says Morna.

      These views are echoed by others. As IPS reported in February this
      year, a survey by the Pan-African Civic Educators Network, an NGO,
      showed that political parties in Malawi gave little support to women who
      contested party primaries to earn a place on the ballot sheet.

      The Gender Electoral Support Network, a coalition of women's
      organisations, also took aim at the ruling United Democratic Front
      (UDF), accusing it of giving more campaign funds to men who were
      contesting the primaries. The feeling amongst many activists was that a
      women's place was still perceived, largely, to be in the home.

      The intransigence of political parties prompted many aspiring women MPs
      to run as independents. Ironically, several of those who won have since
      been lured back to the UDF, which found itself without a parliamentary
      majority after the May vote. Marjorie Ngaunje is one who wasn't
      convinced to cross the floor.

      "The battle is still on, because the post-election challenges are many
      and (will constitute) the real measure of our mettle as women leaders,"
      Ngaunje told IPS. She has vowed to remain an independent voice in the
      legislature.

      Like his predecessor, Bakili Muluzi, President Bingu wa Mutharika has
      pledged to find ways of increasing women's representation in
      decision-making bodies in Malawi.

      "I will make sure that the number of women be increased in various
      positions. I am not satisfied with the 30 per cent because, still, women
      will be underrepresented," he told journalists Wednesday, Jun. 23, in
      the capital Lilongwe.

      The press conference was called to dismiss reports that government
      intended to prevent women from wearing trousers and figure-hugging
      skirts. The reports had evoked memories of the ban on trousers and
      mini-skirts that was introduced by former dictator Hastings Banda.

      Emma Kaliya, Chairwoman of the Gender Coordination Network, said she
      would wait to see whether Mutharika intended to match his words with
      actions - and address the numerous challenges facing Malawian women.

      "Women, despite making up 52 per cent of the total population, remain
      the poorest. This is making it difficult for them to rise to the
      challenges facing the country," she told IPS.

      Muluzi had pledged to lobby for a constitutional amendment that would
      allow Malawi's president to appoint women to parliament. However, he
      retired from government without fulfilling the promise.

      Local and international election observers have expressed several
      concerns about aspects of the May elections, including the monopolising
      of state media by the UDF. After the vote, the UDF joined forces with
      its former foes, the Republican Party, the National Democratic Alliance
      and others, to gain a parliamentary majority.

      *****

      Malawi: Empowerment of Girls Key to Tackling HIV

      UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

      June 25, 2004
      Posted to the web June 25, 2004

      Blantyre

      Last year 19-year-old Mercy Msiskashe was forced to drop out of school
      because her family could not afford to pay the fees.

      "Some of my family members encouraged me to find a boyfriend and then
      get married. They even went to my parents, telling them that the only
      thing left for me was to look for a partner," she told IRIN.

      But a meeting organised by Malawi's ministry of youth, sports and
      culture encouraged her to seek alternative ways of continuing her
      education.

      "I learnt a lot from that meeting. I made a decision that I should look
      for a technical training course. Most of my friends rushed into
      marriages - some have kids that they cannot support, while others,
      because of the need to have money, died of AIDS," she added.

      Msiskashe is now one of six young women attending a year-long tailoring
      course at Jenga Training Centre in the northern Rumphi district.

      Improving the vocational skills of Malawi's youth has become a critical
      defence in preventing the spread of HIV, particularly among young
      women.

      Humanitarian agencies have attributed the rise in the infection rate of
      young women to a lack of educational and vocational opportunities.

      In an effort to raise HIV/AIDS awareness among them and improve their
      life skills, the UN Population Fund (UNFPA), the UN Children's Fund
      (UNICEF) and the authorities have teamed up to assist young people.

      "The UN agencies are supporting two youth projects to encourage the
      participation of girls in social activities through clubs. The projects
      also empower young girls by providing vocational training where they
      learn carpentry, tailoring and motor vehicle mechanics," UNFPA programme
      assistant Daniel Msonda explained.

      The interagency effort, funded by the UN Foundation under the banner of
      the Southern Africa Youth Initiative on AIDS (SAY), aims to ensure that
      adolescent girls have the same rights and opportunities as boys. "Giving
      them seed money or soft loans to start their own businesses is one way
      of achieving the objectives of fighting AIDS among our girls," Msonda
      told IRIN.

      The money received from UNICEF could be issued as revolving loans, to
      enable young women to start their own small-scale businesses such as
      fish farming, chicken rearing or tailoring.

      The projects also aim to raise HIV/AIDS awareness among girls, of which
      a key component is training peer educators in local communities.

      "After being trained, these peer educators go back to the communities
      and tell the other youths where they could get information on HIV/AIDS
      and sexually transmitted diseases. They also help in the distribution of
      condoms," Msonda said.

      Wilfred Lichapa, who oversees the project in the department of youth,
      told IRIN: "We want more of these girls to do technical jobs. They
      should also have access to sexual reproductive health and family
      planning services."

      The projects have already elicited a positive response from the youth.

      "We have achieved almost 75 percent of what we intended to do. There
      has been a reduction in pregnancies and the HIV infection rate since the
      projects started," Lichepa said.

      *****

      'Former imperialists' won't be monitoring Zim poll

      Maputo

      25 June 2004 14:37

      Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe on Thursday said he would not allow
      "former imperialists" to monitor parliamentary elections in his country
      next year, a declaration which drew a sympathetic response from a summit
      of 79 poor and developing countries.

      Mugabe blasted British Prime Minister Tony Blair for questioning the
      state of human rights, freedom and democracy in its former colony and
      said that is why he would only invite monitors from Africa and
      developing nations.

      "Eleven years I spent in prison fighting for democracy, for one man,
      one vote and for us now to hear a voice from London saying there is no
      democracy, no freedom, no human rights observed in Zimbabwe is very
      offensive and repulsive," Mugabe said.

      He said such statements from "narrow-minded little Blair" had made
      Harare decide "that our elections, whenever they are held, must be
      supervised by people of our region, people of Africa, people in the
      Third World.

      "We will invite all of you but we will not allow esrtwhile imperialists
      to come and judge our election," he said to sustained applause at the
      concluding session of a summit of the African, Caribbean and Pacific
      group of nations in the Mozambican capital Maputo.

      Mozambican President Joaquim Chissano told a news conference after the
      end of the summit that Mugabe's message had elicited a lot of sympathy.

      Chissano said Mugabe had "taken advantage of the situation to clarify
      his position... many heard that message favourably and with a great deal
      of sympathy."

      Mugabe, who threw out European Union observers before the 2002
      presidential elections after accusing them of meddling, is under
      sanctions from the EU.

      In February, EU interior and justice ministers adopted without debate
      an extended list of 95 Zimbabwean officials -- including Mugabe -- who
      are banned from entering EU countries and a freeze on their assets.

      The EU sanctions, which have entered a third year, also include an
      embargo on supplies of arms and military equipment to Zimbabwe.

      The United States has imposed similar restrictions against the southern
      African country.

      Chissano said the ACP would try and mend fences between Zimbabwe, the
      European Union and the United States.

      "We will do all in our power to see that Europe and the United States
      resume their good relations with Zimbabwe," he said.

      "We now need to seek ways and means of assisting Zimbabwe and restoring
      good relations between Zimbabwe ... and the rest of the world as a
      whole." - Sapa-AFP

      *****

      UN: 5m Zimbabweans will need food aid

      Harare

      25 June 2004 12:41

      Nearly five-million rural Zimbabweans will need food aid over the next
      year, the United Nations and international aid groups said on Thursday,
      despite claims by the government that no one in the country needs food
      relief.

      At least 2,3-million rural Zimbabweans need food aid because they have
      not been able to grow enough food and cannot afford to buy what they
      need, the Zimbabwe Vulnerability Assessment Committee, a group of UN
      agencies and international aid groups, said in a report.

      The rural hungry are just the latest group of Zimbabweans that the
      committee says needs food aid. At the end of last year, the committee
      predicted that 2,5-million urban Zimbabweans will need food aid in the
      final months of this year and in early 2005 because of deepening poverty
      in the southern African country's towns and
      cities.

      Humanitarian officials said the two assessments mean a total of about
      five-million of Zimbabwe's 12,5-million people will have to be given
      food over the next year.

      UN crop forecasters estimate Zimbabwe will produce only half its food
      needs of about two-million tons of grain and cereals this year, despite
      the government's insistence that there will be a bumper harvest with a
      surplus.

      "These populations will remain food insecure if extensive food
      assistance is not provided during the current marketing season" before
      the harvests early next year, the report said.

      But even if the food was available, most of the hungry could not afford
      to buy it.

      Zimbabwe was once a regional breadbasket. But the often-violent seizure
      of thousands of white-owned farms for redistribution to black
      Zimbabweans, combined with erratic rains, have crippled the nation's
      agriculture-based economy since 2000.

      To avert a famine last year, The UN World Food Programme was feeding
      nearly six-million people at the height of the country's lean season.
      The WFP is currently feeding about 650 000 a month. - Sapa-AP

      *****

      Forcing democracy in Zimbabwe

      By Alastair Leithead
      BBC correspondent on the Zimbabwean border

      Zimbabwean opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai is a man who is tired,
      but resolute.
      Worn down by intimidation and constant court appearances for treason
      charges laid upon him by a repressive government, he seems to lack the
      energy of old.

      Treason charges prevent him from leaving the country and lobbying
      abroad, but he is determined to keep fighting.

      His party, the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), has begun its
      campaign ahead of the March 2005 parliamentary elections, but it wants
      and needs electoral reform first.

      "If the MDC goes... [into the next elections] under the current
      electoral act, they will be wiped out through rigging, through
      manipulation, through all kinds of methods," believes John Makumbe, a
      political scientist at the University of Zimbabwe.

      Dilemma

      But he says they are far from finished.

      "The party has weathered the storm. They have remained together and are
      in a stage of consolidation."

      Last year the party announced its "final push" and mass action was
      planned to protest at President Robert Mugabe's authoritarian grip on
      power.

      But the police cracked down hard and the demonstrations fizzled out.

      So there is a dilemma facing the party over whether it should continue
      to participate in elections if they are not democratic, or withdraw from
      the process and concentrate efforts elsewhere.

      "There are arguments for and against participation, but if you
      participate under flawed conditions you are legitimising the process,
      but if you don't participate you make yourself irrelevant. They are both
      very strong arguments," says Mr Tsvangirai.

      "We will prepare for the elections but a possible decision not to
      participate may be taken at a later stage," he adds.

      There are growing voices of dissent growing impatient with the MDC's
      strategy.

      Max Mkandla is president of Zimbabwe Liberators' Peace Initiative, a
      group he calls "the real war veterans" as opposed to the groups invading
      farms at the behest of the government.

      Death risk

      "You can not preach peace where there is not peace. Plan A is the only
      answer and in the Plan A, the bullet is the only way forward to replace
      the government of the day," he says.

      It is an extreme view, and the strength and loyalty of the police and
      military makes any non-democratic route dangerous.

      And some wonder how keen people will be to risk death on the streets
      when they barely have the strength to feed themselves.

      But Mr Makumbe believes mass action is the answer.

      "I think the answer as to what's next is to go back to basics. Go back
      to mass action, but it needs the people of Zimbabwe to suffer a lot more
      before they are ripe for mobilisation."

      While the MDC ponders a big decision, the ruling Zanu-PF party seems
      fraught by its own problems of infighting as a power struggle threatens
      to envelop the organisation.

      "Zanu-PF is not in the best of shapes and is in danger of crumbling as
      a result of the fissures that have occurred due to the succession
      problem," says Brian Kagoro, chair of the Crisis in Zimbabwe Coalition,
      an organisation representing civic groups.

      "I think the final solution is for Mugabe to go. He is the main
      stumbling block. Even for Zanu he has become a liability.

      He is stuck in a rhetoric that is unhelpful for his party and the
      future of this country. He has allowed chaos to prevail even within his
      own party."

      A Harare-based economist, John Robertson, suggests the collapsing
      economy could play its part, with internal pressure for change mounting
      from the young movers and shakers, simply because "there is nothing left
      to steal".

      So the spiralling economy could bring the government down, as could
      party infighting or international pressure, but a democratic solution in
      next year's elections seems, right now, the least likely outcome.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****