news

    Message 1 of 1046 , May 28, 2004
      Malawi leader urges cooperation

      Malawi's newly-elected President, Bingu wa Mutharika, has said he is confident that his ruling party can work with a united opposition.
      "I do not believe that winner takes all - sharing is better," he told the BBC's Network Africa programme.

      On Thursday, three opposition groups announced that they had united to become the largest bloc in parliament.

      They said they wanted to provide a "vibrant opposition" and have lodged legal challenges to last week's polls.

      'Father of the nation'

      The three groups - Malawi Congress Party, the Mgwirizano Coalition and the National Democratic Alliance - will hold 92 seats in the 193-member parliament, compared to 49 for the governing United Democratic Front (UDF) party.

      At least three people have died in clashes between protesters and police in the largest city, Blantyre, since the results were announced.

      "I am the president of Malawi, not of one political party or one region," he said.

      "Even those areas that voted against me are all my children. I am the father of the nation."

      When asked if the united opposition would make life difficult for him, he replied:

      "I do not believe anybody one in the opposition can seriously oppose simply for the sake of opposing."

      Battle for seats

      It is not yet clear whether Mr Mutharika or the opposition will get a parliamentary majority, - the opposition alliance is five seats short.

      Voting was postponed in six areas. The BBC's Raphael Tenthani from Blantyre says that although no date has been set for the by-elections, by law they must be held within 60 days.

      Our correspondent says that five of the six seats are believed to be in opposition strongholds.

      But the UDF is also still battling to scrape a majority.

      Its ally Aford has six seats. And the party is courting the 38 independent members - many of whom are originally from the UDF.

      International observers have reported "serious short-comings" in the poll.

      But election officials have denied vote-tampering.

      Free and fair elections could be key for Malawi's capacity to secure development aid to deal with poverty and Aids, which affects 14% of the population.

      *****

      Departure Statement By the Commonwealth Observer Group At the Malawi Elections

      Commonwealth News and Information Service (London)

      DOCUMENT
      May 26, 2004
      Posted to the web May 27, 2004

      London

      Justice Joseph Warioba, former Prime Minister of the United Republic of Tanzania and Chairperson of the Commonwealth Observer Group at the Malawi parliamentary and presidential elections, issued the following Departure Statement on 25 May 2004 in Blantyre, the capital of Malawi.

      "When we issued our Interim Statement we said that in arriving at our overall assessment of the electoral process in Malawi we would take a number of factors into account. We have been doing that over the last three days. We have now completed our Report, which we have signed and will send to the Commonwealth Secretary-General. He will then forward it to the Head of Government, the Chairman of the Malawi Electoral Commission, the political parties and all Commonwealth governments. It will then be made public, in printed form and on the Commonwealth website.

      "The conclusion we have reached is that the voters were free to express their wishes on election day itself, but because of the problems with the register, the bias of the state media and the abuse of incumbency, the process prior to election day was unfair. Some of the requirements of the democratic process have been met, but others have not.

      "We have also made a series of recommendations, which we hope will help for the future. We will now return to our countries, with fond memories of the people of Malawi and the warm welcome we received here. Each of us will follow developments in this country closely. We wish the people of Malawi well in all your work to strengthen your democracy. We hope that our Report will contribute to that effort. As individuals we will do whatever we can to help. We know that the Commonwealth as a whole will do so too."

      The Observers had begun work on Monday, 10 May 2004. The team comprised 14 eminent Commonwealth citizens, assisted by a Commonwealth Secretariat staff team led by Professor Ade Adefuye, Special Adviser in the Political Affairs Division of the Secretariat.

      *****

      Southern Africa: Civil Liberties Remain Under Threat - Amnesty

      UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

      May 26, 2004
      Posted to the web May 27, 2004

      Johannesburg

      Politically motivated violence, torture and the excessive use of force by state security continued to be key concerns in several Southern African countries, according to the Amnesty International (AI) 2004 report published on Wednesday.

      Zimbabwe was the worst offender of human rights in the region, while civil liberties were under threat in Swaziland, Angola and Malawi.

      The London-based rights watchdog noted that rights abuses in Zimbabwe continued unabated in 2003, as the state stepped up attacks against its opponents, particularly the main opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC).

      It noted "an escalation in state-sponsored attacks on its critics", while "incidents of ill treatment and torture were reported throughout the year".

      Civic groups remained under pressure, but journalists bore the brunt of the crackdown. Media legislation, introduced in 2002, was being used by the authorities to "silence" reporters, and both local and foreign journalists were subjected to arbitrary detention and attacks.

      The closure of the country's only independent newspaper, the Daily News, in September last year was seen as an example of attempts by the authorities to muzzle freedom of expression.

      Police officers were implicated in "torture, ill-treatment and unlawful killings, mostly of MDC supporters," Amnesty said, while "hundreds of people were detained for holding political meetings or peaceful political protests".

      Public gatherings are restricted under Zimbabwe's Public Order and Security Act, and rights groups have argued that the law is being used to clamp down on civil liberties. Up to 200 trade unionists and prominent civil rights activists were arrested throughout the country in October last year following protests against high taxes and inflation.

      Since the start of the government's controversial land reform programme in 2002, Zimbabwe's economy has steadily deteriorated: unemployment currently stands at approximately 70 percent and inflation is hovering around 600 percent.

      Aid agencies estimate that this year Zimbabwe will face shortages of up to 800,000 mt of maize, a national staple, but the authorities have refuted these findings, projecting a bumper harvest of 2.3 million mt.

      In Swaziland AI found the apparent lack of independence of the judiciary a cause for concern. Prime Minister Sibusiso Dlamini declared in November 2002 that the government would not obey two Appeal Court judgments, sparking a mass resignation by the Court's judges. Despite the intervention of intergovernmental organisations, the rule-of-law crisis remains unresolved.

      In some cases, High Court judges and magistrates were "subjected to intimidation, demotion and other forms of pressure as a consequence of their rulings", the report claimed.

      In August 2003, during an international conference in the capital, Mbabane, security forces reportedly used excessive force to disperse trade unionists protesting the lack of political freedom.

      Amnesty was also critical of the use of excessive force by Malawi police in the lead-up to the recent general elections.

      On 27 January 2003, AI noted, the police fired rubber bullets and tear gas at demonstrators protesting against a third term for former president Bakili Muluzi. The torture of suspects and deaths in police custody continued to be reported.

      Press freedom was under threat, as the state continued to launch attacks on media workers.

      Efforts to consolidate peace in Angola continued, but ongoing hostilities between the government and rebels in the northern Cabinda enclave undermined political stability. AI highlighted an NGO report, released in November 2003, detailing rights abuses in the oil-rich province, including torture, rape and extrajudical executions.

      Although FLEC, the main rebel group in Cabinda, was responsible for some of the abuses, "many more of the human rights violations", were committed by government forces.

      Media freedom had improved slightly in Angola, but there were instances of journalists being intimidated and threatened with violence. Some were arrested in connection with their work, but were usually released without charge or acquitted afterwards, Amnesty said.

      For the full report: http://web.amnesty.org/

      *****

      Zim farmer challenges land laws in top court

      Harare

      28 May 2004 11:17

      A white farmer went before Zimbabwe's top court on Thursday to challenge parts of the controversial land reform laws under which his property was seized and given to black farmers.

      George Quinnell and his wife, who owned a farm north of Harare, have been deprived of their only source of income since they were forced to leave their land in December 2002.

      They appeared before all five judges in the Constitutional Court to try to have their eviction order overturned and amendments to the country's land laws declared unconstitutional.

      Lawyers specifically targeted amendments made in 2002 to the land laws that reduced from 90 days to 45 days the timetable given to farmers to wind up their affairs after receiving an eviction order.

      The amendments also allow the government to resettle people on the farm and make it a crime for the farmer to interfere in the process.

      "The act pursuant to the amendments does not meet the constitutional demand for a reasonable notice," said South African lawyer Wim Trengrove, representing Quinnell.

      Trengrove said Zimbabwe farmers facing an eviction order should be given "a reasonable opportunity to wind up their affairs and adjust their lives to the acquisition of their land".

      The case has taken two years to come to court.

      Since Quinnell started his legal battle in 2000, most of Zimbabwe's white farmers have been evicted from their farms to make way for new black farmers.

      The number of whites still in farming has reportedly dwindled to fewer than 400 out of an estimated 4 000 four years ago.

      Before the legislation was amended, farmers were given 90 days to wind up their business and resettlement could not take place if they challenged the eviction order in court.

      Trengrove argued that the amendments to the Land Acquisition Act, made two months after President Robert Mugabe won another term in office in March 2002, violated parliamentary procedure because Justice Minister Patrick Chinamasa had not yet been sworn in when he introduced them.

      Neither had Agriculture Minister Joseph Made, who signed Quinnell's eviction notice, the court heard.

      Mugabe swore in his cabinet ministers three months later, in August 2002.

      State lawyer Loyce Matanda-Moyo however argued that as Mugabe was an incumbent, the ministers' swearing in was not needed to make the cabinet effective.

      "The mere fact that they [Quinnell's lawyers] sued them as ministers means they recognised them as ministers," she said.

      Farmers who lost their land under the land reform programme were notified of the government's intention to acquire their farms two years before receiving an eviction order, she argued.

      Chief Justice Godfrey Chidyausiku reserved judgement, saying the court needed time to consider submissions made. - Sapa-AFP
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****