RE: Malawi

  • Bell, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2004
      Hey Emily,

      It is good to hear from you. There is actually a list serve made up of
      returned volunteers from Malawi - I am copying it on this email. It is
      always better to get advice from many sources rather than one - and
      there may be folks on it who are more recent returnees than myself
      ('94-'96).

      Ujeni-ites - any packing suggestions for a PCV about to depart for the
      Warm Heart of Africa?

      I'll start:

      -TEVAS! They last forever, can be scrubbed down and rinsed off
      if need be and if they start to wear thin go you can always have them
      re-soled with rubber tires.

      -A couple of good quality WATER BOTTLES - the kind with
      measurements on the side (used them a lot when cooking).

      -Vegetable and herb SEEDS - it's nice to get a little variety in
      your diet.

      -THERMAREST self inflating mattress - you will sleep on a lot of
      floors over then next couple of years.

      -FLEECE pullover/jacket - it does get cool/cold in the winter
      there and makes a great pillow substitute when need be.

      -DON'T bring much in the way of CLOTHES - you won't need to wear
      different clothes every single day like you do here and you can get
      great second hand finds at the markets. Exceptions: shoes and
      underwear - harder to find decent quality shoes there, and used
      underwear...well, let's not go there.

      -DO bring a SHORT WAVE RADIO - critical for keeping in touch
      with the larger world.

      -I sent a box of BOOKS to myself before I left via the "m bag".
      Ask at the post office, it goes surface mail, but as long as it is all
      books or paper it is very cheap. That said there was a library that was
      dispersed when I was there, people are always trading books, but it's
      nice to have a new infusion.

      Anyone else?

      Elizabeth Bell, MPH
      STOP Activity Unit
      Polio Eradication Branch
      Global Immunization Division

      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2004
        Yes, An addition or two...

        If you can find it...a thing that works like a hand food processor. It's a
        plastic bowl with lid, different sets of blade parts and a big handle on the
        top that turns the blades. Alan de Brauw (also 94-96 PCV) and I each
        succumbed to the pitch and bought one at the Merced County Fair a few years
        ago and thought, wow, would this have been great in Malawi. If you don't
        have a worker cooking for you, you
        will hand chop more tomatoes in two years than you would have thought
        possible in your whole lifetime. Great tomatoes and onions are Malawi's
        most important seasonings. This thing works like a charm!!!! It's the only
        reason I still make fresh tomato sauce. I think kitchen stores have them
        now. (If your worker is cooking for you...she might appreciate it too)

        The THERMAREST is at the top of my list. We had our kids send us a very
        cheap, light weight tent, too. We found we had occasion to need it.

        If PC still advises bringing 2 years' worth of deodorant, don't. It's
        available. On the other hand that may be poor advice. With the devaluation
        of the kwacha...and deodorant is undoubtedly imported...it might now cost a
        month's salary.

        Malawi's a great place to serve! Hope you enjoy your time there as much as
        we did.

        Don and Cathy Weber

        > -TEVAS! They last forever, can be scrubbed down and rinsed off
        > if need be and if they start to wear thin go you can always have them
        > re-soled with rubber tires.
        >
        > -A couple of good quality WATER BOTTLES - the kind with
        > measurements on the side (used them a lot when cooking).
        >
        > -Vegetable and herb SEEDS - it's nice to get a little variety in
        > your diet.
        >
        > -THERMAREST self inflating mattress - you will sleep on a lot of
        > floors over then next couple of years.
        >
        > -FLEECE pullover/jacket - it does get cool/cold in the winter
        > there and makes a great pillow substitute when need be.
        >
        > -DON'T bring much in the way of CLOTHES - you won't need to wear
        > different clothes every single day like you do here and you can get
        > great second hand finds at the markets. Exceptions: shoes and
        > underwear - harder to find decent quality shoes there, and used
        > underwear...well, let's not go there.
        >
        > -DO bring a SHORT WAVE RADIO - critical for keeping in touch
        > with the larger world.
        >
        > -I sent a box of BOOKS to myself before I left via the "m bag".
        > Ask at the post office, it goes surface mail, but as long as it is all
        > books or paper it is very cheap. That said there was a library that was
        > dispersed when I was there, people are always trading books, but it's
        > nice to have a new infusion.
        >
        > Anyone else?

      • Jay
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2007
          Can anyone tell us about Malawi in peacecorpsnetwork in Yahoo! Groups?