On a different note....

  • Bell, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 12 10:18 AM

      Malawi Flashback:

      Was just listening to the radio in the car and “Punk Rock Girl” by the Dead Milkmen came on and I had the clearest vision of a party at Sobel’s, early in my PC tenure, sitting around listening to his acoustic version of “Peace Corps Girl”.

      Was someone else playing with him?  I also seem to recall a brightly coloured blowup kiddy swimming pool as well but that might have just been the chibuku.

      Forgive me, but memories of PCV parties are all a bit blurry.  Can’t imagine why.

      Safe travels all,

      Liz

      Elizabeth Bell, MPH

      STOP Activity Unit

      Polio Eradication Branch

      Global Immunization Division

    • Vyrle Owens
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 12 8:15 PM

        Dear ujeni colleagues,

        Since John alluded to the time to think, here is another piece for cogitation:

        Vyrle

        72:12.2 ...We fear they are about to make the mistake that so many others have made when they have endeavored to force a superior culture and religion upon other races. What a wonderful thing could be done on this world if this continental nation of advanced culture would only go out and bring to itself the best of the neighboring peoples and then, after educating them, send them back as emissaries of culture to their benighted brethren!

        *****************

        Real Arab Reform

        By David Ignatius

        March 12, 2004

        BEIRUT -- The Bush administration's new initiative to encourage democracy and reform in the Arab world has all the solidity of a hot- air balloon. It's floating grandly toward Planet Arabia, while down below the people who would be affected by it are variously taking potshots, running for cover or scratching their heads in confusion.

        Are we really going to make this mistake again? To state what should be obvious after the reversals of the past year in Iraq: The idea of Arab democracy is meaningless unless it begins at home, driven by an Arab agenda for change, rather than by outsiders. If it's seen as another attempt to impose the West's agenda, then the planned U.S.-European Greater Middle East Initiative will fail -- and deservedly so.

        Rather than preaching from their dirigibles overhead, Americans and Europeans should try listening more carefully to what the Arabs themselves have to say -- not to the leaders, whose main agenda is holding on to power, but to the millions of people who are desperate for reform.

        A starting point for me is listening to the leading Shiite cleric in Lebanon , Sheik Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah. He can hardly be accused of pro-American sympathies; he was the spiritual leader of the Hezbollah fighters whose suicide bombs drove U.S. troops from Lebanon in 1984. But he's become a surprisingly progressive thinker and was one of the first Muslim clerics to condemn unambiguously the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 .

        I've visited Fadlallah several times over the past two years at his well-guarded office within the maze of Beirut 's southern suburbs, accompanied by my friend Jamil Mroue, publisher of Beirut 's Daily Star. Each time, Fadlallah has surprised me. This time, it was in the ferocity of his call for reform in the Arab world. You cannot put the case for change more bluntly or emphatically than he did.

        "We have always emphasized that governments in this part of the world are obsessed with power, and thus have kept their citizens under strict control," Fadlallah said, speaking through an interpreter. He cited two kinds of bad governance in the Arab world: the "tribal or dynastic families, who behave as if they have some divine right to conduct business," and "governments that have a fig leaf of legitimacy, in the form of ballots that produce 99.9 percent results."

        Fadlallah noted that these undemocratic governments have stayed in power partly because "they are part of a web of international interests" -- meaning that they serve the interests of the United States and its allies. But he cautioned: "It is not fair or accurate to lay all the blame for this deformed political process on the shoulders of the West. There are really serious internal reasons as well for this underdevelopment."

        The failed Arab regimes survive, Fadlallah said, thanks partly to the "excuse" of the Arab-Israeli conflict. "We have emergency laws; we have control by the security agencies; we have stagnation of opposition parties; we have the appropriation of political rights -- all this in the name of the Arab-Israeli conflict." He argued that resolving the Arab-Israeli problem was a necessary component of any serious Middle East initiative -- not just because it was right but because it would take away the props that support bad governance.

        What's important about Fadlallah's remarks is that you'd hear pretty much the same opinion everywhere in the Arab world. People are sick of political and economic underdevelopment, and they want change. But they want to make it for themselves.

        The problem with the U.S.-European initiative is "too much interference, too little reform," argues Ghassan Salameh, a former Lebanese cabinet minister, now a U.N. special adviser on Iraq and one of the brightest new lights in Arab politics. He argues that Arabs themselves set more ambitious targets for reform -- especially in establishing the rule of law. "If we create a strong, independent, professional judiciary, we will have done a revolution," he says.

        The Bush administration hopes to present its plans at the G-8 summit in June, so there's still time to get it right. Above all, the United States and its European allies should avoid the mistake of assuming that just because people hate the regime they're living under, they will embrace an American-led effort to transform it. They won't, as the Iraqi experience sadly shows.

        The Arabs want to make their own history. The time for change has come, as they know better than anyone. If you doubt that, just listen to the words of the white-bearded, black-turbaned cleric, Sheik Fadlallah.

        The Arab future truly is now. If America can help the people of the Middle East take ownership of their own process of change -- now, that would be revolutionary.

        davidignatius@...

        © 2004 The Washington Post Company

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 12 8:52 PM
          Homeboy by that guy in Malawi...memories of that wonderful card game and
          Hastings insisting on playing...we did get some of the trainers to sing the
          Malawi National Anthem, and run backwardss behind the bar that night...

          One-click access to Hotmail from any Web page � download MSN Toolbar now!
        • John Patten
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 12 11:52 PM
            Paul, I wrote myself in as a candidate last time. But
            I didn't even get one vote. My own absentee ballot got
            lost in the mail and I think my folks voted for Bush.

            I'm duly impressed with the Iraq thing. Keep your head
            low, your FHM magazines out of view, and for God's
            sake if your reporting like Dan Rather please don't
            yell "what's the freqency Kenneth Sahib."

            Thanks for the contributions also, I didn't know you
            were so cerebral. Thanks also Vyrle. I will read those
            missives today!

            On the subject of memories- In training at the ATC in
            Zomba we went to a local store that had mchere, sugar,
            oil and tea, but also beer, an proceeded to turn the
            small place into a dance floor while Lucius Banda was
            singing "Life on Earth," still one of my favorites,
            it's in my car right now, a little warped. Kelly,
            Erin, John Powell, I think Jesse, and a host of others
            were there.

            JP

            ps- Paul I did vote for Eldridge Cleaver. He was Wally
            and the Beaves brother right?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 13 1:11 AM
              Such a Philistine.....

              Go ot the local ANC library and check out Soul On Ice.....

              Not only am I cerebral, I have a daughter to raise, so I must keep all those
              mags out of sight...she found my stash of Guns N Ammo.....

            • Jesse Kwiek
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 15 7:03 AM
                John,
                Don't remember if I was at that bash in Zomba or not (how can you
                remeber that?) but I can say that I heard Lucius Banda's this past summer in Blantyre opening
                for Awilo Longomba?(kwasa-kwasa at its finest).. What an experience that was-- by
                the end of the awilo show men were licking kwacha and sticking them to
                the foreheads of the musicians.. ahh, the things that greens make
                people do...
                Thanks for the nostalgia John.

                Cheers,
                Jesse
              • erin weah
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 15 3:02 PM
                  John,

                  I will never forget those nights in Zomba. Do you remeber the night you so
                  gallantly rode on a moped to rescue me from dysentary in Kimo? You were a
                  true friend. I really miss you.
                  Erin (O'Connell) Weah

                  >From: John Patten <jppatten98@...>
                  >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: RE: [ujeni] On a different note....
                  >Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:52:25 -0800 (PST)
                  >
                  >Paul, I wrote myself in as a candidate last time. But
                  >I didn't even get one vote. My own absentee ballot got
                  >lost in the mail and I think my folks voted for Bush.
                  >
                  >I'm duly impressed with the Iraq thing. Keep your head
                  >low, your FHM magazines out of view, and for God's
                  >sake if your reporting like Dan Rather please don't
                  >yell "what's the freqency Kenneth Sahib."
                  >
                  >Thanks for the contributions also, I didn't know you
                  >were so cerebral. Thanks also Vyrle. I will read those
                  >missives today!
                  >
                  >On the subject of memories- In training at the ATC in
                  >Zomba we went to a local store that had mchere, sugar,
                  >oil and tea, but also beer, an proceeded to turn the
                  >small place into a dance floor while Lucius Banda was
                  >singing "Life on Earth," still one of my favorites,
                  >it's in my car right now, a little warped. Kelly,
                  >Erin, John Powell, I think Jesse, and a host of others
                  >were there.
                  >
                  >JP
                  >
                  >ps- Paul I did vote for Eldridge Cleaver. He was Wally
                  >and the Beaves brother right?
                  >

                  >--- Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...> wrote:
                  > > Homeboy by that guy in Malawi...memories of that
                  > > wonderful card game and
                  > > Hastings insisting on playing...we did get some of
                  > > the trainers to sing the
                  > > Malawi National Anthem, and run backwardss behind
                  > > the bar that night...

                  > > One-click access to Hotmail from any Web page �
                  > > download MSN Toolbar now!
                  > >
                  >http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/

                  Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar � includes FREE pop-up blocking!
                • Luz Huntington
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 17 6:46 AM
                    Hey Liz,
                    Just FYI, its Ken Spafford who cowrote "Peace Corps Girl". Now he's an
                    upstanding lawyer in Phoenix....Life has so many interesting twists.

                    And the bottlestore that John speaks of in Zomba...mention of that
                    bottlestore could bring me to tears!! "Daddy" was the owner of that
                    place--Bless him!

                    How come nobody has mentioned the pig's head in West Texas party! Dancing in
                    that neighborhood chimbuku bar ranks high on my list of good times.

                    Really good memories-No doubt.
                    Luz

                    >From: "Bell, Elizabeth" <eib6@...>
                    >To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: [ujeni] On a different note....
                    >Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:18:10 -0500
                    >
                    >Malawi Flashback:
                    >

                    >Was just listening to the radio in the car and "Punk Rock Girl" by the
                    >Dead Milkmen came on and I had the clearest vision of a party at
                    >Sobel's, early in my PC tenure, sitting around listening to his acoustic
                    >version of "Peace Corps Girl".
                    >

                    >Was someone else playing with him? I also seem to recall a brightly
                    >coloured blowup kiddy swimming pool as well but that might have just
                    >been the chibuku.
                    >

                    >Forgive me, but memories of PCV parties are all a bit blurry. Can't
                    >imagine why.
                    >

                    >Safe travels all,
                    >
                    >Liz
                    >

                    >Elizabeth Bell, MPH
                    >
                    >STOP Activity Unit
                    >
                    >Polio Eradication Branch
                    >
                    >Global Immunization Division
                    >
                    >Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

                  • Rand Wise
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 17 7:01 AM
                      It was called the El Dorado, right?  I remember one night consuming every last bit of his stock, and he drove an overpacked car of us around town at a late hour looking for more.  I can't even remember who was in the car or if we did indeed find more gleens...

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 17 7:07 AM
                        The West Texas party! I'd forgotten all about that. And it was not
                        just dancing, but SLAM dancing - with Luz leading the way (now herself
                        an upstanding nurse and mother I might add).

                        I suspect that town is still talking about the night the crazy uzungus
                        took over the bar. And complaining about our music.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 17 11:07 AM
                          I think I must have been much more of a brown drinker than I remember
                          because the slam dancing memory did not get stored. Are we sure that was me?
                          I think it was Cindy Kelly. Ha Ha. Selective memory I am sure. Very good
                          memories none the less. Luz

                          >From: "Bell, Elizabeth" <eib6@...>
                          >To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
                          >Subject: RE: [ujeni] On a different note....
                          >Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:07:17 -0500
                          >
                          >The West Texas party! I'd forgotten all about that. And it was not
                          >just dancing, but SLAM dancing - with Luz leading the way (now herself
                          >an upstanding nurse and mother I might add).
                          >
                          >I suspect that town is still talking about the night the crazy uzungus
                          >took over the bar. And complaining about our music.
                          >
                          >Elizabeth Bell, MPH
                          >STOP Activity Unit
                          >Polio Eradication Branch
                          >Global Immunization Division
                          >Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

                          Get reliable access on MSN 9 Dial-up. 3 months for the price of 1!
                          (Limited-time offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/
                        • Vyrle Owens
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 28 3:18 PM

                            Dear all,

                            Our son Josh and his wife have received an invitation to become PCVs in Senegal.  Agro-forestry and agriculture extension projects.  Sounds like great projects for them.  Departure September 2004.

                            Vyrle and Dolly

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 29 1:16 AM
                              Senegal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

                              Nice post, friendly people, great music, and
                              CHEBUGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              Excellent assignment for them....

                              NAGA DEF WAI!!! = How are you in Wolof
                              MANGA FEE REK = I am well thank you

                            • Bell, Elizabeth
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 29 4:56 AM

                                Vyrle – that is wonderful new – congratulations!  I hope you and Dolly get a chance to visit.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 1, 2004
                                  Vryle,
                                  Congratulations to you and your son and daughter-in-law!! I have a very good
                                  friend who is an RPCV from Senegal. He was there from 1995-1998. I visited
                                  him on my way home from Malawi. Senegal is just beautiful and will not
                                  disappoint. If they would like to speak with my friend just drop me an email
                                  and I will get his number to you.

                                  Luz

                                  >From: "Vyrle Owens" <vyrle@...>
                                  >To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
                                  >Subject: [ujeni] Exciting news from the Owens
                                  >Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:18:51 -0800

                                  >Dear all,
                                  >
                                  >Our son Josh and his wife have received an invitation to become PCVs in
                                  >Senegal. Agro-forestry and agriculture extension projects. Sounds like
                                  >great projects for them. Departure September 2004.
                                  >
                                  >Vyrle and Dolly

                                  Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar � FREE!
                                • reysampaga
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 1, 2004
                                    Dear Vyrle and Dolly, and Josh and Mrs. Josh Owens

                                    We would like to add our congratulations to you, Vyrle and Dolly, and
                                    an even more hearty congrats and "Best Wishes" to Josh and his wife.

                                    I would also like to share an anecdote about Josh. I was going to
                                    send it personally but it was too good to keep private and what
                                    better forum to disseminate a juicy one than the Ujeni.

                                    Well it goes like this....Remember the dedication ceremony of
                                    Roopangi Kadakia's Water Project in Zomba? That was spring of 1995
                                    or so. You attended the ceremony with Jane Bonin, Ambassador
                                    Chaveas, and Josh. The ceremony took place in the village up in the
                                    hills above Zomba. During the ceremony, Josh and I sat next to each
                                    other.
                                    I acted as his translator when the Chief of the village spoke.
                                    During the Chief's speech I translated for Josh the following: "Thank
                                    you for joining us today to be our meals. We promise to make your
                                    demise quick and painless. By the looks of you all you will be
                                    delicious...."
                                    Of course, Josh said, "No. No. and No." with each translation.
                                    I am glad he was not so gullible and it did not scare him off joining
                                    Peace Corp.
                                    Anyway, he did get his dig in too.
                                    At the banquet afterwards at Zomba City Hall, he asked me if one of
                                    the meats we were eating was "animal or human?"
                                    I think it was that moment I knew he would make it.

                                    Please extend our good wishes again. And remind him to have fun too.
                                    Sincerely,
                                    Rey and Robin Sampaga

                                    --- In ujeni@yahoogroups.com, "Vyrle Owens" <vyrle@o...> wrote:

                                    > Dear all,
                                    >
                                    > Our son Josh and his wife have received an invitation to become
                                    PCVs in
                                    > Senegal. Agro-forestry and agriculture extension projects. Sounds
                                    like
                                    > great projects for them. Departure September 2004.
                                    >
                                    > Vyrle and Dolly
                                  • Vyrle Owens
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 8, 2004

                                      Dear Rey,

                                      Amazing what you learn about your own children after the years have
                                      traveled on.

                                      Thanks for the story and greetings to all of you,

                                      Vyrle

                                      Dear Vyrle and Dolly, and Josh and Mrs. Josh Owens

                                      We would like to add our congratulations to you, Vyrle and Dolly, and
                                      an even more hearty congrats and "Best Wishes" to Josh and his wife.

                                      I would also like to share an anecdote about Josh. I was going to
                                      send it personally but it was too good to keep private and what
                                      better forum to disseminate a juicy one than the Ujeni.

                                      Well it goes like this....Remember the dedication ceremony of
                                      Roopangi Kadakia's Water Project in Zomba? That was spring of 1995
                                      or so. You attended the ceremony with Jane Bonin, Ambassador
                                      Chaveas, and Josh. The ceremony took place in the village up in the
                                      hills above Zomba. During the ceremony, Josh and I sat next to each
                                      other.
                                      I acted as his translator when the Chief of the village spoke.
                                      During the Chief's speech I translated for Josh the following: "Thank
                                      you for joining us today to be our meals. We promise to make your
                                      demise quick and painless. By the looks of you all you will be
                                      delicious...."
                                      Of course, Josh said, "No. No. and No." with each translation.
                                      I am glad he was not so gullible and it did not scare him off joining
                                      Peace Corp.
                                      Anyway, he did get his dig in too.
                                      At the banquet afterwards at Zomba City Hall, he asked me if one of
                                      the meats we were eating was "animal or human?"
                                      I think it was that moment I knew he would make it.

                                      Please extend our good wishes again. And remind him to have fun too.
                                      Sincerely,
                                      Rey and Robin Sampaga

                                      --- In ujeni@yahoogroups.com, "Vyrle Owens" <vyrle@o...> wrote:

                                      > Dear all,
                                      >
                                      > Our son Josh and his wife have received an invitation to become
                                      PCVs in
                                      > Senegal. Agro-forestry and agriculture extension projects. Sounds
                                      like
                                      > great projects for them. Departure September 2004.
                                      >
                                      > Vyrle and Dolly

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      ---

                                      ---