Re: [ujeni] How to assess disease impact

  • johooper@unm.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2004
      Good points Eric,

      Actually, malaria hits children and pregnant women the hardest.
      Pregnant women are at higher risk for infection and complications with
      malaria because during pregnancy the mother's immune system is
      weakened so as not to reject the fetus, which is essentially a foreign
      body living inside the mother. Children are at increased risk because
      they have not yet built up a substantial immune response to the
      disease, which actually takes about 5 years and is region-specific (so
      when one, of any age, moves to a new area, their body has to build up
      resistance to the local malaria parasites as well, which takes time).
      Similarly, I would imagine that AIDS patients would also be especially
      susceptible to malaria, due to their compromised immune systems.
      Additionally, the reason that diarrhea and upper respiratory
      infections are killers in underdeveloped countries is largely due to
      malnutrition--or again a weakened immune system resulting in an
      individual who is unable to fight off viruses and bacteria that a
      healthy, well-nourished individual would have no problem surviving.
      So, my point is that by improving nutrition, providing clean water
      sources (or teaching people how to properly treat drinking water), and
      preventing malaria you will also be helping an AIDS patient who is
      extra susceptible to illness as well as helping everyone else in the
      community become less susceptible to illness from such diseases. It
      just seems illogical to me to jump to expensive tertiary treatments
      before implementing inexpensive preventative measures. But, being
      human has certainly not been associated with being logical much of the
      time. :) The economic impact of malaria on countries actually has
      been studied and economist Jeffrey Sachs of Columbia University
      actually asserts that malaria causes poverty and has a substantial
      effect on economies (in addition, of course to the logical inverse
      relationship). I have attached one of his articles.

      Joanna