    Message 1 of 1046 , Feb 27, 2004
      Malawi: Bumper Tobacco Crop Could Boost Forex Earnings

      UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

      February 25, 2004
      Posted to the web February 25, 2004

      Malawi looks set to increase valuable foreign exchange earnings from its tobacco crops this year, according to the latest production estimates.

      The Ministry of Agriculture told IRIN on Wednesday that production of various types of tobacco - burley, flue-cured and western - was likely to rise significantly above last year's output.

      "The estimated burley production is 115 million kilograms (115,000 mt), flue-cured is 19.4 million kilograms (19,400 mt) and western tobacco from [the north-central region] about 6.4 million (6,400 mt)," a ministry official told IRIN.

      The Tobacco Association of Malawi predicted a further 900 mt of tobacco from the southern highlands, bringing the total estimated tobacco crop to around 141,700 mt.

      "It is a significant increase," the official said. "In burley it's an increase of 11 to 12 percent, on flue-cured it's about a 41 percent increase, and on the western tobacco the increase is 71 percent."

      The president of the Tobacco Association of Malawi, Albert Kamulaga, said growers were "quite optimistic" about this year's tobacco prospects, and noted that Malawi exports "about 99 percent of our crops". These exports "account for about 70 percent of [Malawi's] forex" earnings, and "will boost foreign exchange earnings this year".

      "We had a test [auction] of flue [tobacco] yesterday and ... the prices were quite reasonable - we expect good prices out of burley as well," Kamulaga added. Malawi was "about third now, in terms of [world] exports ... [and] we've been leading the burley market for a number of years".

      The country is in need of foreign currency, as the Kwacha continues to hover at weak levels of between Kwacha 108 and Kwacha 110 to the US dollar.

      "Our growers suffer shortages of inputs, mainly fertiliser ... if that was readily available we could boost production by 50 percent more than what we are doing now", Kamulaga said.

      Fertiliser is largely imported into Malawi, and a weak Kwacha is prohibitive, he explained. High interest rates charged by commercial banks were another factor affecting the ability of the country to boost its forex earnings through tobacco.

      "We do not have farming credit loans in Malawi, [commercial bank] interest rates are very high - 42 percent at the moment - which does not give any margin for a farmer to make any money. If a farmer is to make use of such a loan they will be out of business very quickly," Kamulaga said.

      According to figures from the US Department of Agriculture, Malawi exported about 122,000 mt of tobacco last year.

      Malawi Takes Public Policy Measures Against HIV/Aids

      United Nations Development Programme (New York)

      February 24, 2004
      Posted to the web February 25, 2004

      New York

      Malawi is building measures into all facets of public policy against HIV/AIDS in an effort to stem the spread of the virus and improve treatment and care for the 14 per cent of its population living with the disease.

      A national policy President Bakili Muluzi launched earlier this month in Blantyre would require legislative changes to promote prevention and better protect those living with HIV/AIDS, including invalidating infection as grounds for job dismissal and offering tax incentives for employers who provide comprehensive HIV/AIDS programmes.

      President Muluzi urged Malawians to go for voluntary HIV testing and counselling as he had, noting that so far only 3 per cent have done so.

      He also called for openness, including disclosing AIDS as a cause of death, to reduce the social stigma.

      "Let us come out in the open. My young brother Dickson, who died two years ago, died of HIV/AIDS," he said. "We can only tackle the problem if we are open. It is a serious problem. Why hide it?" UNAIDS and UNDP provided technical and financial support for the National AIDS Commission for preparation of the policy.

      UNAIDS Executive Director Dr. Peter Piot said that his organization is fully committed to ensuring that access to effective HIV treatment becomes a worldwide reality. UNAIDS, working with the World Health Organization (WHO), is campaigning to put at least three million HIV positive people in developing countries on anti-retroviral treatment by 2005.

      Dr. Piot noted that HIV prevention is bearing fruit among young people, with HIV infection rates falling. "These efforts need to be redoubled to ensure that our children remain HIV-free," he said, urging everyone to "stick to ABC - abstinence, be faithful and use a condom." He commended President Muluzi for leading the response to the epidemic, making it the country's number one challenge.

      The President pointed out the need to revise or repeal a number of laws to implement the policy and protect the rights of people living with HIV/AIDS. He has asked the Minister of Justice and the Law Commission to review to criminal, labour, public health, customary marriage and divorce, and taxation laws.

      He noted, for example, that the policy calls for amending the Employment Act to include HIV status among the reasons that do not constitute valid grounds for dismissal.

      Janet Kayuni, chairperson for the Youth Council and a law student at the University of Malawi, said that existing legislation to protect children and young people against abuse, harassment and exploitation needs to be strengthened and enforced to ensure that the policy is effective. Many girls, especially orphans, are sexually abused by their guardians and even teachers, she asserted.

      Ms. Kayuni said that very few young people have access to sexual and reproductive health information, education and services appropriate for their age and needs. She added that young people have been denied the right to "full participation on matters affecting them," and urged that the new policy involve them fully.

      In the past three years, the HIV infection rate among those 15 to 24 has stabilized at about 14 per cent. Only 2 per cent of children ages 5 to 14 are HIV positive, a prevalence Ms. Kayuni described as a "window of hope" for an HIV-free country in the future.

      Printing Company Comes Under Attack

      Media Institute of Southern Africa (Windhoek)

      February 25, 2004
      Posted to the web February 25, 2004

      On January 29 2004, two journalists turned politicians, Thom Chiumia and Chikumbutso Mtumodzi, stopped printing of the privately owned The Dispatch Newspaper and seized the printed copy and plates.

      Chiumia is president of the New Dawn for Africa (NDA) political party while Mtumodzi is his secretary general. NDA supports the ruling United Democratic Front (UDF) and is widely believed to be funded by UDF die-hards.

      According to Lusungu Mhango production manager of Karora printing and publishing company the two went to his press to print their own newspaper, The Informer. On arrival they became enraged when they discovered that The Dispatch newspaper was being printed.

      "They wielded a knife and threatened everyone around. Some of my staff members sustained injuries," Mhango said.

      He said his company lost over K70 000 (approximately US$642) in the fracas.

      Chiumia, while denying his involvement in the incident, said he wanted to teach the printers a lesson to respect the government of the day.

      "I believe in media freedom. I cannot fight The Dispatch. But I will fight printers who have hidden agendas and want to embarrass the government," he said.

      He claimed that the printers sidelined his paper despite advance payment and went ahead to print The Dispatch which he said writes ill about the government.

      Martines Namingha, managing director of The Dispatch, said he was not surprised (by their actions) and that the two always tried to frustrate his operations.

      "A few days ago they wrote in their paper that I am funded by National Democratic Alliance president Brown Mpinganjira. They even quoted Republican President Gwanda Chakuamba as saying that I am funded by Mpinganjira. I talked to Chakuamba and he denied having talked to them," Namingha said.

      Chiumia and Mtumodzi have run several papers which have changed names following to defamation charges.

      In 2003 they beat Mpinganjira to registration when they registered their party as National Democratic Alliance (NDA), a name that belonged to Mpinganjira's pressure group, and copied all its symbols. The courts stopped them from using the name but they remained with the acronym NDA.

      Their paper vilifies everyone deemed opposing the UDF stand. In March 2002, the two allegedly assaulted a Burundian football coach, who worked in Malawi, for what analyst deemed as political reasons.

      Elections No Excuse for Political Violence

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 24, 2004
      Posted to the web February 24, 2004

      Wezie Nyirongo

      For Malawi to have a peaceful and democratic election process there is need for politicians to remember that in democracy election rallies and other campaigning activities are not an area where those who intimidate and damage their rivals are the winners.

      The wake up call follows continued reports of violence and harassment occurring during UDF party primaries where some people have lost their lives while others survive with different degrees of injuries.

      Centre for Human Rights and Rehabilitation (CHRR), one of the civil society organisations has been on the forefront, condemning acts of violence during the next elections period.

      'We wish to reiterate to all political players the need for those intending to stand in the coming national elections to abide by the spirit of democratic competition and conduct themselves in a peaceful, tolerant and respectful manner,' says CHRR in a statement released recently.

      'In ensuring that Malawi has peaceful and truly democratic elections, all those participating should remember that in a democracy, election rallies and other campaigning activities are not an arena where those able to intimidate the most or cause most physical hurt and damage to their rivals are the winners,' reads the statement.

      It further says that democratic elections constitute a forum where aspirants to leadership positions sell their ideas to the electorate so that people can choose individuals whose ideas convince the majority of having leadership responsibilities.

      Since most parties have not yet concluded their primaries CHRR says all intending contestants from all political parties should know that democratic elections are supposed to be conducted as a friendly rivalry, not as if there is a war going on.

      'Tolerance and respect for differences of opinion and diversity of ideas is the essential ingredient for creating better understanding,' says the statement adding that democratic competition is where winners accept victory with humility and the losers accept defeat with dignity.

      CHRR further urged aspiring candidates and those responsible for the organisation and management of respective election campaigns, especially the police and others charged with responsibility of ensuring conducive environment for the holding peaceful electoral activities exists.

      It adds that political campaigning should be the forum for a peaceful exchange of ideas, not an arena for the exchange of physical blows and abuse.

      Since the start of the UDF primaries a fortnight ago there have been reports of violence involving party officials and supporters of the same party. In Ntchisi, a child is reported to have died in the fracas which erupted in the course of the primary election for the party's Director of Agriculture Ben Dzowela who contested against Sylvester Gadi.

      Supporters of three UDF aspiring candidates for Lilongwe City West also marched against the sitting MP Elizabeth Lamba who was declared a winner after the elections were nullified.

      Another clash occurred in Kasungu where three lady officials for UDF, NDA, and AFORD went to collect electoral information materials at NICE offices.

      The violence believed to have been influenced by the ruling party's UDF Young Democrats.

      More Mass Defections in UDF Expected

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 24, 2004
      Posted to the web February 24, 2004

      Wezie Nyirongo

      A group of UDF supporters, including the aspiring parliamentary candidate for Nkhotakota North East Makwinja Charles Chipala have resigned from the party and joined the National Democratic Alliance (NDA).

      Makwinja, who claimed to be one of the UDF founding members in the area told The Chronicle in an exclusive interview that he is totally frustrated with the way UDF officials, including the party's running mate - Cassim Chilumpha is handling its supporters in the area.

      He said he decided to resign and join the NDA after consultations with his supporters including the area branch supporters who have also followed him to NDA.

      'Your excellency, Sir, I loved the UDF, I loved Chilumpha. I loved you. But I am so badly wounded that we can no longer stay under one roof. I am still weeping, it is a bitter decision but I am going, and gone for ever,' reads part of the resignation letter which he said will be sent to president Muluzi soon.

      Makwinja said he was, for sometime a staunch supporter of Chilumpha and used to campaign for him because he knew that the presidential choice of Bingu was not right at all and expected Chilumpha to take over. But he was disappointed because he alleges that Chilumpha turned against him and started decampaigning him when he announced his interest in contesting as an MP for Nkhotakota north east.

      'It is not surprising that my choice for presidential candidate was Chilumpha. I must confess that it took me long to accept Bingu's nomination as presidential candidate. But I have understood the reason, I think Muluzi had an effective intelligence network,' said Makwinja.

      Adding: 'I opted for Chilumpha because I knew Bingu would only serve one term and later Chilumpha would take over but I am now very disappointed.' He alleged Chilumpha decampaigned him in favour of a lady known as Martha Mulanje Mhango who won with 522 votes against his 439 votes during the primaries held few weeks ago.

      With his resignation from UDF, Makwinja told The Chronicle that he will be standing as the NDA parliamentary candidate for Nkhotakota north east.

      NDA deputy publicity secretary Maxwell Njala said it was expected that most UDF aspirants who are disappointed after their party's primary elections would be joining NDA.

      'This is expected and by the final day of their primaries which is the 25th of this month the UDF will be finished. However the door is open and everyone is welcome to join us,'said Njala.

      'Makwinja is very welcome to the party and we expect more to join us. That is why our party is national so that everyone willing to join us can do so.

      As we went to press, Chilumpha could not be drawn for comment despite efforts to talk to him through his secretary at Blantyre Print and Publishing who demanded the reporters phone number to call back until the Chronicle went to bed.

      Apart from being one of the founding members of the UDF in Nkhotakota, Makwinja was elected district governor in 1992 to 1994 and elected UDF member of parliament for Nkhotakota north east from 1994 to 1999.

      Later through a recommendation from Muluzi he was offered a job as a Commissioner with the Teaching Service Commission. His resignation from the UDF is seen as the much anticipated catalyst that would see the increase in defections from the party as predicted by the NDA President Brown Mpinganjira last December.

      Parties, Civil Society Differ On MPs English Test

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 24, 2004
      Posted to the web February 24, 2004

      Wezie Nyirongo

      Political parties represented in parliament and civil society organs have differed on the idea mooted by the Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC) that all sitting Members of Parliament should not undertake an English Proficiency Test in readiness for the May 18 polls.

      Parliament on Friday announced that the elections monitoring body will not conduct an English test for all sitting MPs, however civil society says there was still need for them to undergo the examination because most MPs are not sufficiently qualified and cannot fully express themselves in English which is a constitutional requirement.

      Second deputy speaker of parliament Loveness Gondwe said it was good news that all sitting members of parliament will no longer do an English test.

      'Honourable members there is good news, and the good news is coming from the Electoral Commission that all sitting MPS are not going to undergo an English test,' said Gondwe attracting loud applause from members in the house.

      The Malawi Congress Party (MCP) Publicity Secretary Nicholas Dausi welcomed the idea saying there was no need for sitting MPs to go for an English test because they already did one when they were nominated to represent the party in 1994 and 1999 respectively.

      'The idea is welcome because our party is very strict on who will represent us in parliament and all our siting MPs are qualified enough and there is no need to do the test again. All of them passed the test already in 1994 and 1999,' said the outspoken Dausi.

      'We however encourage our MPs to cultivate a reading culture for them to improve their English and their knowledge. They must do this so that they can contribute effectively in parliament,' said Dausi. But he denied the fact that MPs fail to contribute in the house because the contributions are made in English.

      He said the party encourages intellectuals to join and, according to their survey most MCP parliamentarians have been contributing effectively to debates in parliament.

      United Democratic Front (UDF) deputy spokesperson Mary Kaphwereza Banda also shared the MCP view saying all UDF MPs are already well educated and it was not necessary for them to do another English proficiency test.

      'That is quite fine, after all UDF has well educated MPs and all of them contribute effectively in parliament. However, we cannot judge from contributions if an individual is well conversant with English because some of them are well educated but decide to remain quiet in the house,' said Kaphwereza Banda.

      However, Livingstonia Synod of the CCAP, Church and Society director Moses Mkandawire told The Chronicle that the announcement should be observed in two ways saying although parties are welcoming the idea a lot remains to be desired in the character of most MPs.

      He said it is unfortunate and embarrassing for the MPs to celebrate and regard the suspension of an English test as good news to them because it just shows how low their level of education is.

      'The announcement has on the other hand been fair for the sitting MPs because it could be an embarrassment if one fails the test after being in the house for five or more years. But it has not been realistic because we need active, qualified and competent MPs,'said Mkandawire.

      'We really need to change our chamber because most of the MPs only contribute when voting for bills. To be frank we need to have understanding and qualified MPs who are quite conversant with bills and laws which are passed in parliament,' he said adding, 'because they are not well educated they end up voting for unwanted bills.' 'They even don't know when to say yes or no to the bills they pass in parliament. In fact, we do not need to have a lot of MPs who do not have any qualification and not educated, it is better to have a few who are educated and will help the nation,' said Mkandawire.

      MEC have been conducting English proficiency tests for aspiring members of parliament who do not have Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE) from Monday to Wednesday last week.

      The Malawi Constitution under section 51 subsection 1(b) on qualifications of members of parliament stipulates that an MP should be one who is able to speak and read the English language.

      Transforming Information Into Behaviour Change

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 24, 2004
      Posted to the web February 24, 2004

      Pushpa Jamieson

      As Youth Are Given Life Skills to Help Them Avoid Becoming Infected

      Action for Behaviour Change (ABC) is a project that aims to encourage the youth to transform the information that they have on HIV/AIDS into meaningful behaviour change.

      The project, which is carried out in seven schools around Lilongwe is aimed at providing the youth with skills which will help them to make positive choices for safer behaviour so as to help them realise their rights and educate the youth on the benefits of Voluntary Counselling and Testing (VCT).

      According to training officer, Steve Chibophe, the ABC project has trained fifty peer educators, twenty three form four school leavers and twenty seven students from the African Bible College. 'These peer educators accompany training officers to the schools with programmes which help create an environment where they can come and freely discuss issues of HIV/AIDS'. said Chibophe.

      He added that the youth have information on HIV/AIDS, but that the information needed to be transformed into a change in the way that they conducted their sexual lives. The peer educators also receive training in Life Skills which they in turn impart to their own colleagues. The youth need to know life skills in order to translate the information into behaviour change and be able to withstand peer pressure. 'The girls need to know that they can say NO to sex,' Chibophe explained.

      Chifundo, who has received training as a peer educator says the training has given her the confidence and knowledge on how to help other youth of her own age to change their behaviour in order to avoid becoming infected with HIV.

      'We have been trained on how to facilitate a club, how to talk to the youth and how we as peer educators and role models can present a good picture of ourselves,' she said adding: 'The life skills that we impart to the youth with help them in avoiding being infected with HIV/AIDS.

      Doreen, who is also part of the team says she has been able to talk to the youth about resisting peer pressure, the ability to make the right choices and the dangers of early pregnancies and marriages. 'We as peer educators become role models ourselves, and the youth that we target can see that we have achieved and they have the desire to be like us,' she said.

      According to the peer educators, the schools and youth have been very receptive. 'Some teachers have given us encouragement to continue with this work' said Mike, a member of the team. They all agree that sex is a natural desire of an adolescent, but realise that it must be used in the right context, and with someone whom one loves and who is faithful to one partner.

      Working together with Partners in HOPE, the ABC project is headed by Caroline Maclean who is the director. The project receives support from both international and local well wishers.

      The seven schools that are participating in the ACB HIV prevention programme are Chigoneka Primary School, Mkomachi Primary School, Lingadzi Secondary School, Mtsiriza FP School, Chigoneka CDSS, Lilongwe Girls and Polly Private School.

      TEVETA Geared to Train More Youth Girls Take Up the Challenge in Technical Skills

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 24, 2004
      Posted to the web February 24, 2004

      Wezie Nyirongo

      Youths, especially girls are now taking a leading role in development projects through technical training offered by the Technical, Entrepreneurial and Vocational Education and Training Authority (TEVETA).

      According to TEVETA officials, most girls are now interested in technical work which poses a challenge to boys who are also in the same field.

      Carpentry, plumbing and bricklaying are some areas that girls want to be involved in and are training in the disciplines with the institution.

      TEVETA Curriculum Development Specialist, Frank Banda told The Chronicle that the girls and boys who are trained by the institution are those who have just finished school and are unable to do further training due to financial problems. He said after the recruitment exercise the students are posted to different areas where they are involved in 'on-the-job' training.

      One of the areas is Liwonde in Machinga District where TEVETA is constructing a market site. The project named Chidzanja Market Site started in August last year and 30 students were recruited and are being trained in construction skills. Out of 30 students, 10 are girls.

      TEVETA was approached by the community surrounding the Chidzanja market area to train school leavers through the project. 'Since we have the mandate for training and looking after development projects in the country we welcomed the request,' said Banda adding that after the training the students are going to be awarded certificates.

      'I can work anywhere now since I am well equipped with the training. We have been doing construction work from foundation stage to this time,' said 20 year old Flossy Phiri who has been undergoing brick laying course.

      'I am now confident that my future is bright and have hopes that at the end of this training I will have no problem securing a job in one of the big companies in the country,' she added.

      She indicated that at first she wanted to do journalism but could not raise enough money for the course. She then decided to do any training that was available to her because she had no choice because of the financial constraint.

      'I don't regret doing this training now because it is very challenging. Most people get surprised as to why I am so interested in what they call 'men's work'. These days most girls prefer office work but I love being in the field.' Another student Lucy Laston said that the training she has received has benefited her a lot although at first people were discouraging her, even to saying that because she is a girl she was not going to manage to complete the course.

      'I did not succumb to the pressure from the people who were discouraging me from doing the job and now here I am, I can challenge them and build a house by myself,' said Laston proudly.

      'The training was an eye opener to me and I have learnt a lot. We started by digging the foundation and people were very interested with what we were doing considering that we are girls,'she said.

      Kensington Mdeza, a brick laying trainer and Maxwell Chimseu for Carpentry section said they did not expect girls to manage so well: 'At first we thought these girls would not manage to finish the training but they were so adamant and hard working compared to some of the boys we have,' said Chimseu.

      Mdeza said: 'Out of the 23 students in the bricklaying department none of the girls dropped out. Only one boy could not tackle the pressure and he dumped the training.' Tevet is also constructing another new market and a new bus depot in Balaka among the development projects in the country. The organisation has recruited about 27 students in carpentry, among them are 6 girls.

      Some of the projects the institution has managed to built are a School block at Katuli in Mangochi by artisan trained under the Teveta/Masaf project.

      Tevet also trains youth in Tailoring and Mechanics.

      No fast judgement in Zim treason trial

      Harare, Zimbabwe

      26 February 2004 17:02

      The treason trial of Zimbabwe opposition chief Morgan Tsvangirai over an alleged plot to assassinate President Robert Mugabe ended on Thursday but judgement was not expected for months.

      The year-long trial wound up with both the defence and state counsel wrapping up their arguments.

      If convicted, Tsvangirai, who is accused of plotting to kill Mugabe and stage a military coup, faces the death penalty.

      "The trial in this matter commenced in February last year and since then a lot of evidence was led," said senior High Court judge Paddington Garwe.

      "There will obviously be need for this court to go through all that evidence ... and carefully assess the facts against the law.

      "Accordingly, judgement in this case is reserved," he said, adding that once he was ready to deliver judgement, he would announce the date he will hand it down.

      The trial, in which the state relied on evidence given by a Canadian political consultant, Ari Ben Menashe, opened on February 3 2003.

      Ben Menashe also supplied the state with a grainy videotape of a meeting he held with Tsvangirai and which was secretly recorded.

      Tsvangirai denies state allegations that he conspired to have Mugabe murdered ahead of the March 2002 presidential elections, which he lost to the long-time leader.

      The opposition and the international community said the polls were marred by widespread fraud and intimidation.

      Tsvangirai, a former union leader who formed the Movement for Democratic Change in 1999 to challenge Mugabe, says the government trumped up the treason charges against him in a bid to frame and discredit him ahead of the presidential elections.

      He lost the elections, which were discredited by international observers who said they were rigged and marred by political violence.

      Tsvangirai said he had hired Ben Menashe's firm to help with international lobbying and fund-raising for his party, but later discovered the government had also hired it. -- Sapa-AFP

      Mozambique 'human organ' nun dead

      A Brazilian nun has been found dead in Mozambique after some of her colleagues said they had exposed an organ trafficking network.
      She had reportedly been strangled and beaten in her home in the northern city of Nampula.

      The traffickers are said to target the sex organs of children, which are sold to make magic charms.

      The nuns from the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate said they had received death threats since their report.

      On Tuesday, the authorities said they had found no evidence of a trade in human organs.

      But the nuns say they have spoken to victims who managed to escape the ring and have photos of dead children with missing organs.

      'Powerful charms'

      The BBC's Jose Tembe in the capital, Maputo, says that many people believe that a ring does exist and accuse the government of not doing enough to investigate it.
      One nun told our correspondent that she was extremely angry at the news of the death in Nampula.

      Many Africans believe in traditional medicine
      Ritual murders have been reported in many African countries, as some witchdoctors say using human organs in magic charms makes them more powerful.

      These are believed by some to bring financial or sexual success to those who use them.

      "Several countries are involved in this iniquitous game and the victims are the poor, those who have no voice or defence, or the strength to defend themselves, we are convinced that Nampula is part of an international ring," order spokeswoman Sister Juliana told Portuguese radio earlier this month.

      She said there have been several attempts to abduct children from the orphanage they run in Nampula.

      Mozambican, South African, Brazilian and Portuguese nationals were involved in the ring, she said.

      The organs were reportedly being smuggled into neighbouring Zimbabwe and South Africa.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        Zambia: Malawians Grab Zambian Land

        The Times of Zambia (Ndola)