Fwd: Save Our Constitution, Fight the Anti-Family Marriage Amendment

  • Kristen E Cheney
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2004

      To: "Kristen Cheney" <kcheney@...>
      Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:37:25 -0800
      Subject: Save Our Constitution, Fight the Anti-Family Marriage Amendment
      MailID: KIN61337148.EML
      From: "PFAW Activist Network" <alerts@...>
               required 8, BAYES_00, HTML_FONTCOLOR_BLUE, HTML_FONTCOLOR_RED,
               HTML_FONTCOLOR_UNKNOWN, HTML_MESSAGE, MIME_BOUND_NEXTPART)

      ad7f0.jpg
      PEOPLE FOR THE AMERICAN WAY February 12, 2004
      ad83e.jpg
      ad89c.jpg
      ad8ac.jpg
      ad8bb.jpg
      Dear Activist,

      President Bush is about to try to divide Americans again, this time by giving discrimination against gay men and lesbians a constitutional mandate.

      It is expected that the president will soon announce his support for a federal constitutional amendment requiring discrimination against same-sex couples and their families, according to reports in the Washington Post. While we don't know exactly when the official announcement will be made, this much is clear: Bush's Religious Right allies have demanded a Rove-style White House offensive for this amendment, and Bush appears ready to serve up the political red meat.

      The fight to save our Constitution will be months, perhaps years, long, but the battlefield is being chosen now as this story breaks. Our voices for fairness must be heard alongside the president's, not days later.

      First, sign the Save Our Constitution Petition to Congress urging legislators to oppose the anti-family marriage amendment.

      http://www.pfaw.org/go/save_our_constitution/

      Forward the petition to friends, family and neighbors so that the strength of our opposition is apparent from the earliest hours of this campaign.

      Second, and just as important, send immediate feedback to local media about the president's plans to disfigure our founding document with this discriminatory amendment.

      http://www.pfaw.org/go/FMA_reaction/

      These are first steps, but it is crucial that we take them now, as the political and media storm is gathering. We need a rapid response to Bush's expected announcement, rather than a response to the media's next-day coverage.

      This issue should not be a political football or an election-year sound bite. Bush may be campaigning for re-election, but we are campaigning for things larger and more meaningful: fairness, dignity and equality for all.

      We expect the White House to spin any support for a constitutional amendment as moderate, respectful and compassionate. We must declare these truths to Congress and all Americans:
      • There is no "moderate" way to write discrimination into the Constitution.
      There is no "respectful" way to amend the Constitution to permanently assign one group of Americans to second-class citizenship. There is no "compassionate" way to deny the children of gay parents the stability and legal protections that can only be offered by marriage.
      Americans gave their tears, sweat and lives over two centuries to remove discrimination from our Constitution. We don't want to go back, and, with your help, we won't.

      Sign the Save Our Constitution Petition
      http://www.pfaw.org/go/save_our_constitution/

      React immediately with letters to local media
      http://www.pfaw.org/go/FMA_reaction/
      ad8ea.jpg
      ad8fa.jpg ad909.jpg
      ad919.jpg
      PETITION:
      No Discrimination in Our Constitution
      ad929.jpg
      ad938.jpg
      ad948.jpg ad958.jpg

      Sign the Petition
      Fight the Anti-Family Marriage Amendment!
      Forward this message to friends!

      According to news sources, President Bush will soon endorse a federal constitutional amendment requiring discrimination against same-sex couples and their families. We are starting a campaign today with one purpose: defeating this discriminatory amendment to our Constitution.

      Help frame the debate:
      send a letter
      to local media reacting to the president's divisive scheme. Bush may be campaigning for re-election, but we are campaigning for things larger and more meaningful: fairness, dignity and equality for all.
      ad967.jpg

      PFAW © 2004
      This message was sent to: kcheney@...

      To remove yourself from this mailing, please click here ad977.jpg

      Kristen Cheney
      Doctoral Candidate in Anthropology
      University of California at Santa Cruz
      408 Social Sciences I