    Message 1 of 1046 , Feb 10, 2004
      Malawi to launch first Aids policy

      Blantyre, Malawi

      09 February 2004 12:50

      Malawi's President Bakili Muluzi will on Tuesday launch the country's first-ever policy on HIV/Aids amid claims by health officials that the alarming infection rates in the Southern African nation have stabilised over the years.

      Biswick Mwale, head of Malawi's national Aids commission, said the policy, on which work started in 2000, will try to provide a legal and administrative framework to combat the epidemic, which infects 14,4% of the country's 11-million people.

      "The estimated HIV prevalence among adults of 15 to 49 years in Malawi in 2003 is 14,4%, which [is] 0,6% lower than the 2001 rate of 15%," said Mwale.

      Mwale said "statistically this does not represent a decrease in prevalence but rather it indicates that the epidemic has stabilised over the years".

      However, in September, a World Bank report warned that up to half of Malawi's professional workforce could die of HIV/Aids by 2005.

      Professionals in the education and health sectors are particulary affected in the impoverished nation, as are members of the army and the police, the study said.

      HIV/Aids has cut Malawi's life expectancy to just 36, according to the United Nations Development Programme.

      Mwale said about 760 000 adults Malawians are infected with HIV of whom 56% are women. About 70 000 adults die of the disease every year, he added.

      "The implications of the state of the epidemic in the country are quite serious and call for more concerted efforts by all sectors to prevent new infections," Mwale said.

      Malawi, where HIV/Aids and sexual topics are taboo, has had no Aids policy for the past 21 years.

      "We have operating without any guiding principle ... we want to ensure the observation of human rights, including gender and cultural sensitivity in the national response to the disease," Mwale said.

      Some Malawians continue to practise traditions such as "death cleansing", which forces a widow to have sex with her brother-in-law before her husband is buried in order to "cleanse" his spirit.

      With donor support, Malawi in 1999 launched a $110-million, five-year plan to break the silence about Aids. -- Sapa-AFP

      UDF/Aford Coalition Split: Chihana Threatens to Pull Out If Demands Are Not Met

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 9, 2004
      Posted to the web February 9, 2004

      Wezie Nyirongo & Pilirani Phiri

      AFORD leader Chakufwa Chihana has given the UDF an ultimatum to surrender the running mate position to him or risk an AFORD pull out on the alliance, The Chronicle has been informed.

      The ongoing controversy between the UDF/AFORD alliance on the running mate position is causing great strain between the two parties and threatening the alliance they have formed. Information reaching The Chronicle suggests that President Bakili Muluzi and Second Vice President Chihana with a strong delegation from the two parties met last week on Tuesday and again on Wednesday night at the Lilongwe Mtunthama State House to discuss the thorny issue of the running mate position which AFORD is demanding as part of the coalition agreement between the two parties.

      Chihana is said to have insisted that his demands to hold the position of running mate be guaranteed and even threatened to pull out of the alliance if the UDF did not meet his demand.

      The Chronicle source who was present at the meeting said Chihana banged tables and told Muluzi point blank that he and his party would not hesitate to pull out of the coalition if his demands, which he believes are 'reasonable' are not met.

      Rumphi East MP Gowa Dindi Nyasulu, who is a loyalist of the AFORD czar and a member of the task force in the negotiations between the two side is reported to have been among the people present at the meeting.

      When The Chronicle visited his office for an interview, he denied there being any difficulties between the parties and dismissed the reports of the meeting saying he has not been involved in any negotiation talks within the week.

      Nyasulu said during the days in question, Chihana was in the North addressing rallies and there is no truth in the report that he was in Lilongwe involved in talks with the delegation from UDF, including Muluzi.

      'I was not involved in any talks recently in regard to the running mate issue with the UDF. I am a member of the task force and I would have known and been involved if there were such talks. The one who was telling you is not honest with the truth, he lied to you,' said Nyasulu.

      He insisted that Chihana would not threaten to pull out of the coalition because all the negotiations so far had been in good faith.

      When contacted to comment on the issue, a very angry Chihana blasted The Chronicle saying he should be left alone.

      'The Chronicle? Don't phone me! Please don't put me into something... If you have no news please leave me alone!' charged an irate Chihana before abruptly terminating the telephone conversation Responding to the same issue, UDF Secretary General (SG) Kennedy Makwangwala said it was true that the two sides met on Tuesday in their ongoing negotiations with AFORD.

      He was able to confirm that they had discussed a number of issues but said there was nothing serious that led to some disagreements.

      'Yes we met on Tuesday and discussed a number of issues pertaining to our ongoing talks with AFORD. But there was nothing serious that could have led to disagreements,' he said Makwangwala told The Chronicle that among the delegation who met was a technical team which drafted a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) which the two parties will sign on 20th February.

      Controversy still surrounds the UDF/AFORD alliance as the two parties have failed to reach an agreement on who should be the running mate to Bingu wa Mutharika, Muluzi's hand-picked successor to the UDF presidency.

      AFORD, under the leadership of Chihana first went into an alliance with UDF in 1994 but the party pulled out of the agreement and accused the Muluzi regime of gross corruption.

      In 1999, AFORD joined the MCP and pulled out again after failing to make it into government in the run up to the 1999 general elections. At that time Chihana was the running mate to the MCP president Gwanda Chakuamba.

      The UDF/AFORD alliance is the third in the history of the Alliance of Democracy party since it's inception in 1992. This, consequently saw AFORD lose it's credibility and was described as unstable with its leadership branded as political prostitutes and being power hungry.

      It is yet to be seen who the running mate to Bingu Wa Mutharika will be following the agreement between AFORD and UDF to go into an electoral alliance. The UDF running mate remains Cassim Chilumpha but this position is not secured.

      In 1999 Gwanda Chakuamba sidelined his Vice John Tembo in order to accommodate AFORD when the two parties formed an Alliance. Chihana expects to enjoy the same status with the UDF as he did with the MCP.

      UDF Primaries in Trouble

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 9, 2004
      Posted to the web February 9, 2004

      Christopher Jimu

      Supporters of industrialist and business-man Brian Bowler who is the aspiring UDF Member of Parliament for Lilongwe City South East constituency have threatened to march to State House to petition the party President if their preferred candidate is barred from standing during the UDF primary elections.

      The irate supporters made the remarks at Chipasula Secondary School last Friday after the UDF had canceled the elections which were supposed to take place that day.

      The angry supporters told The Chronicle that they do not know where their party is heading if some senior party officials can just postpone elections at the eleventh hour without notification or reason.

      'We know that some party gurus want to field a person of their own choice, other than Bowler, but if they are going to do that then we will march to State House,' chairlady of Chiuzila ward, Ellen Nikalasi told The Chronicle.

      Nikalasi, who was flanked by the Secretary of the Constituency Sakina Mdoka, Director of Campaign Lotina Sawasawa, Executive member Laureen Kamwendo said accused some unnamed top UDF officials of practicing dictatorship.

      'Why do they want to handpick Chikadza and impose him on us. We never enjoyed any benefits from him when he was MP and that is why we want Bowler.

      He has been with us for the past three years and has demonstrated that he is a good leader who has the heart of his constituents at heart,' Lotina said.

      As the three women were giving an interview to The Chronicle, Bowler was busy trying to stop his supporters from leaving Chipasula to march to Mtunthama State Lodge.

      The supporters who included women, men, girls, boys pestered Bowler to the extent that he nearly conceded that they could march. But with the assistance of his campaign committee he managed to convince them that everything will be sorted out amicably, in time.

      'I know you are very cross with what has happened but I am very sad as well.

      I will write a letter to the president and then we will pick it up from there,' Bowler assured them.

      But some of the supporters answered back, 'We want the answer from the president now otherwise we will march on our own.' In Lilongwe City Central Constituency Shabir Gaffar who was enjoying a lot of support from the constituents, withdrew his candidature at the eleventh hour after threats from Mary Kaphwereza Banda's supporters.

      Mai Mwinjiro, who is councilor for the area and one of the people conducting the elections had the shock of her life when Kaphwereza Banda's husband snatched a voter register from her because she was frustrating his wife.

      'I am very disturbed with what happened. You can quote me and I am even ready to stand in a court of law to tell you the truth. Kaphwereza should not lie that she won the elections, she rigged it,' she reiterated adding: 'For your information I was the one who was counting people to enter into the hall but Kaphwereza Banda's husband snatched a register from me because I had barred someone who failed to identify himself,' Mwinjiro said.

      Asked why he withdrew his candidature, Gaffar said that Kaphwereza alleged that he had already declared that he will be an independent candidate and that he does not stay in Lilongwe City Central. Kaphwereza also insisted that Gaffar did not present a letter to the UDF expressing his interest to stand to the constituency chairman.

      'It is strange to find that these people are only barring me to stand on the pretext that I come from Area 3. When Muluzi won the polls as MP for Machinga was he staying in Kapoloma, what about people like Cassim Chilumpha and Clement Stambuli, do they stay in Nkhota kota? This is segregative,' Gaffar said.

      In Lilongwe City West the incumbent MP Elizabeth Lamba saw off the challenge of two men, Ken Ng'oma and Salim Chiuta.

      Lamba told The Chronicle that some of her supporters were beaten by supporters of her rivals but no one was arrested.

      Iqbal Omar won the votes in Lilongwe South West after seeing off the challenge of Dennis Mwechumu and Jusab Hamdani. Omar got 470 votes while Mwechumu and Hamdani got 80 and 40 votes respectively.

      In Salima South UDF Regional Governor Uladi Mussa came out of the contest unopposed after his strong challenger, Matthews Masoapyola who campaigned vigorously withdrew his candidature at the eleventh hour.

      In Nkhota kota Clement Stambuli the incumbent went through unopposed after his main challenger Fixon Kwalenga withdrew his candidature because of allegged massive rigging.

      The UDF primaries have been characterised by quarrels and violence with candidates who are not favoured by the ruling party deliberately being frustrated by those who are in incumbency and wish to continue in their positions. This is being fueled by remarks from the ruling elite to the effect that in some areas of choice they would prefer not to hold primaries, suggesting that sitting MPs were doing a good job and should not be removed.

      Malewezi Remains On UN Task Force Despite Confusion

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 9, 2004
      Posted to the web February 9, 2004

      Pushpa Jamieson

      .... I will continue to work with whoever will listen - Malewezi

      .... We would love to see the VP remain engaged - Claude Allen

      .... I am the one on the UN Task Force - Kaphwereza Banda

      Although there seems to be some confusion on the status of membership of a special Task Force set up by the United Nations Secretary General, Kofi Annan on Women, Girls and HIV/AIDS, Claude Allen who is Deputy Secretary for the Department of Health and Human Services in the Bush Administration on his recent visit to Malawi says he will continue to work with the 1st Vice President, Justin Malewezi.

      Allen confirmed that if Malewezi chooses to remain a member, the US would be happy to work with him. 'As the United States, we would love to see the Vice President remain engaged regardless of what he does in terms of his political future.' Speaking in an exclusive interview with The Chronicle Allen said, as someone who is passionate, committed and knowledgeable about HIV/AIDS it is important for Malawi that Malewezi continues to be involved in the struggle against the epidemic.

      Minister responsible for HIV/AIDS Mary Kaphwereza Banda had said she had taken over the position from Malewezi throwing the whole question of Malewezi's involvement in the fight against the pandemic in doubt. 'I am the one on the task force now' Banda insisted adding: 'We realised our mistake in suggesting the VP as a member of the Task Force because we saw that all other members from the region were from a lower office' Banda went on to say the change was made even before Malewezi resigned from the party.

      'Dr Vera Chirwa, Dr Naomi Ngwira and myself are now members of the United Nations Task Force and not Malewezi' Banda confirmed.

      However Allen said he was prepared to work with anyone who would step into the position should Malewezi cease to be a member of the UN Task Force on HIV/AIDS. 'In terms of our relationship, we will work with whomever is to step into that position or step into leadership in terms of addressing HIV/AIDS in Malawi' Allen clarified.

      Commenting on his position as a respected member of the UN Task Force Malewezi said he, along with Dr, Vera Chirwa and Dr. Naomi Ngwira were appointed to the Task Force in their personal capacities. 'I will continue to work with whoever is willing to listen or to assist in the fight against HIV/AIDS from whatever position I am now or in the future,' he said adding: 'I think we are going to have this disease for quite some time and it needs people who are willing to offer their services from every walk of life.' He went on to say he was prepared to continue doing the work of the Task Force. 'I am happy to hear that they can work with us and I will always be at the disposal of Malawi'.

      Malewezi, together with Dr. Vera Chirwa, the Executive Director of Malawi CARER and Dr. Naomi Ngwira, Executive Director of the Institute of Policy Research and Analysis are members of a Task Force of Women, Girls and HIV/ AIDS commissioned by the United Nations (UN) secretary General Kofi Annan.

      Vice President Justin Malewezi has always been a champion in the fight against the HIV/AIDS pandemic and his position and influence was greatly diminished when it was decided that the Office of the President would head the fight.

      Malawi Hosts The Heads of UNAIDS and DFID

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 9, 2004
      Posted to the web February 9, 2004

      As part of the global commitment to fight the AIDS pandemic, the Executive Director of UNAIDS, Dr. Peter Piot and the Permanent Secretary of the Department for International Development (DFID) in the United Kingdom, Mr., Suma Chakrabarti, will undertake a joint visit to Malawi from 8 to 11 February 2004.

      This visit comes at a time when there is growing consensus to halt and reverse the spread of the AIDS epidemic and harness the combined resources of the International Community behind national leadership from government partners and other stakeholders in a programme of joint planning and action and pooled funds.

      The main objective of the visit is to strengthen national coordination and donor harmonization in HIV/AIDS interventions in Malawi. The visit will explore ways of overcoming the obstacles to effective prevention strategies and accessible HIV/AIDS treatment. This visit will also bring decision makers together to identify additional opportunities and strategies to reverse the spread of the epidemic in the country in order to ameliorate the devastating effect of AIDS and its stigma.

      Activities planned for the visit include discussions with government, people living with HIV/AIDS, donors and civil society; site visits to Lilongwe Central Hospital, the Lighthouse and a community programme in Chiradzulu, as well as the launch of the National HIV/AIDS Policy.

      Udf YDs Attend Prayer Breakfast

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      February 9, 2004
      Posted to the web February 9, 2004

      Pilirani Phiri

      Despite last Tuesday's Church organised presidential breakfast not being a United Democratic Front (UDF) party function, the party's Young Democrats (YDs) flooded the function creating an atmosphere of fear and insecurity to both the church and opposition dignitaries who attended the prayers.

      The YDs, with most of them sporting shaven heads and dark sun glasses, were seen loitering around New State House where the function was held. They were frequently seen talking to UDF's Central Region Youth Director Shabani Kadango as the prayers progressed in the Banana Room of Parliament building.

      National Democratic Alliance spokesperson Salule Masangwi, whose President Brown Mpinganjira refused to grace the prayers, told the local media that his party failed to attend the prayers because they were afraid of the YDs who are known for their violence. "We did not want to put our lives at risk. Our security is not guaranteed even in the presence of Muluzi himself or even the police," said Masangwi.

      Defending the presence of the YDs at the function, UDF deputy publicity secretary Mary Kaphwereza Banda said in a telephone interview that there was nothing unusual for the YDs to attend the prayers saying they also went there to pray. "Who told you that the YDs were barred from going to the prayers? I thought the prayers were open to all parties including the UDF? Therefore, they also went there to pray," insisted Kaphwereza.

      But, in spite of the YDs' presence at the prayers, no violent incident was recorded during and after the prayers which were meant to pray for peace and unity as the country braces up for the May 18 general elections.

      Meanwhile, the UDF says it is still waiting for a Police report to decide on the fate of it's Machinga Likwenu MP who is accused of hiring YDs to disrupt a church service at Chinkwenzule CCAP in Machinga last year.

      Zim's 'pitiless oppression' brings more sanctions

      Pierre Glachant | Brussels, Belgium

      10 February 2004 15:35

      The European Union is set to agree this month to roll over for a third year sanctions imposed against Zimbabwe, notably extending a list of officials banned from the EU, diplomats say.

      The sanctions were first slapped on the regime of President Robert Mugabe in 2002 for rights abuses and electoral fraud after he retained his grip on power in a controversial ballot victory.

      The deadline to renew the sanctions is due on February 20. But diplomats say that a meeting of EU ambassadors next week will approve the decision, which will be formally adopted on February 19, at a meeting of EU interior ministers.

      "The current sanctions will be maintained ... The situation in our view is not improving," said an EU source, adding: "These measures are aimed at named individuals and not the people of Zimbabwe."

      The original ban imposed travel restrictions on top government and ruling party officials, as well as freezing their assets.

      Initially in 2002, 19 people were listed. According to EU sources, that list will include up to 90 names this year.

      As well as renewing the sanctions, EU foreign ministers are also expected to agree a statement on the situation in Zimbabwe at a meeting in Brussels on February 23, officials say. The EU has also imposed an embargo on supplies of arms and military equipment to Harare.

      Ireland, which currently holds the rotating EU presidency, has dropped heavy hints in recent weeks about the way the sanctions review was going.

      "There are very serious concerns about the deteriorating situation in Zimbabwe," said Irish Foreign Minister Brian Cowen last month, while declining to forecast what the decision would be.

      The EU measures against Zimbabwe were eased slightly last year when the bloc agreed to suspend the travel ban for officials travelling to meetings organised by the United Nations or by international bodies based in an EU country.

      But tensions between the EU and Harare were reflected only last week when European diplomats were temporarily denied entry to some polling stations in Zimbabwe during a parliamentary by-election.

      Zimbabwe's international isolation grew last year when it was suspended from the Commonwealth after observers said presidential polls that returned Mugabe to power were marred by violence, intimidation and electoral flaws.

      In reviewing the sanctions, the EU has been seeking progress in five key areas: an end to all political motivated violence; commitment to free and fair elections; protection of the freedom of mass media; independence of the judiciary; and an end to illegal occupation of properties.

      "We have not been able to record progress in any of them," said an EU diplomat. "That is why we must maintain the sanctions."

      Meanwhile, the EU, the world's biggest provider of development aid, has sought to target assistance to the Zimbabwean people in the form of medical supplies, food and agricultural aid, EU officials say.

      But budgetary aid to the Mugabe government to carry out reforms remains suspended.

      "We are going to cut off aid channelled through the government and focus on restricted aid targeted directly at the population," said one source.

      The European Parliament issued a stinging resolution on Zimbabwe only last month, saying that Mugabe's regime has "become a worrying example of pitiless oppression of an impoverished and famished population". -- Sapa-AFP

      Mugabe moves against corruption

      Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has announced he has created a new ministry to deal with corruption.
      The anti-corruption ministry will be headed by Didymus Mutasa, a close ally from Mr Mugabe's Zanu-PF party.

      President Mugabe has vowed to act against rising corruption at a time of economic crisis in the country.

      Political analysts say the move may be an attempt to boost the popularity of his ruling Zanu-PF party, ahead of parliamentary elections next year.

      Two senior Zanu-PF officials have recently been arrested on corruption charges.

      The ministry will also be in charge of an anti-monopoly programme.

      Mr Mugabe also appointed Zanu-PF governors to the provinces of Harare and Bulawayo, both opposition strongholds.

      When this was announced last year, the opposition MDC said it was an attempt to take power away from its local councillors and MPs.

      In other changes:

      John Nkomo takes responsibility for land reform from Joseph Made, who remains agriculture minister;
      Finance Minister Herbert Murewa is replaced by his deputy Chris Kuruneri;
      Retired air force chief air marshal Josiah Tungamirai, who won a by-election last week, becomes minister of indigenisation and empowerment.
      This is the first reshuffle since August 2002, following President Mugabe's re-election in disputed polls.
      Daily News

      Meanwhile, Zimbabwe's media commission says it will not allow journalists employed by the only privately-owned daily newspaper, the Daily News, to work until their paper has been registered.

      Journalists working for the paper had applied for accreditation, but the media commission has ruled that their paper must be registered before their applications can be credited.

      The closure of the Daily News was criticised by Southern African and international human rights groups.

      Air Zimbabwe set to pay debt

      Air Zimbabwe has secured funds to pay its debt to the International Air Transport Association (IATA), an official has said.
      The airline's chief executive, Rambanai Chingwena, said arrangements are under way for the remission of the money due to IATA.

      The national carrier was suspended from the association over a debt of $1.3m for tickets booked with other airlines.

      IATA, acts as a clearing house between players in the aviation industry.

      Mr Chingwena said the airline's membership of IATA remains intact.

      Last year, foreign airports threatened to impound Air Zimbabwe's equipment if it did not pay outstanding fees.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        Zambia: Malawians Grab Zambian Land

        The Times of Zambia (Ndola)