FW: State Epidemiolotist, Kentucky

  • Bell, Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2004

      From: Keegan, Bob
      Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 8:58 AM
      To: NIP/GIDTechnical Staff
      Subject: FW: State Epidemiolotist, Kentucky

      From: Rice.Leach@... [mailto:Rice.Leach@...]
      Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 6:49 PM
      To: GHardy@...
      Cc: J_Agwunobi@...; glyncaldwell@...; Clinton, Jarrett J.
      r_samaan@...; Seligman, James D.; Shaffran, Mary; Sirmons, Gary
      (OS); kmward1@...; Tony.Goetz@...; Toomey, Kathleen;
      Adewale.Troutman@...; VictorM.Negron@...; Weaver, Donald
      L. (HRSA); white@...; WilliamD.Hacker@...;
      DonWilliamson@...; swyatt@...; Steve.Davis@...;
      bettyh.olinger@...; Clyde.Bolton@...; Sharon.Stumbo@...;
      rclover@...; tsamuel@...; scutch@...
      Subject: State Epidemiolotist, Kentucky

      I regret that Dr. Steven Englender will be leaving his post as state
      epidemiologist and director of the division of epidemiology for the
      Kentucky
      Department for Public Health sometime around the first of April. Steve
      lives
      in Cincinnati and has been commuting since just before 9-11-01. He found
      suitable position in public health in the Cincinnati area and
      understandably
      wants to be home.

      Now, I need a replacement....assuming that such a person is out there.
      The
      job includes the usual communicable disease control, immunziations, HIV,
      and
      related work. It is also the site for the BT grant and vital statistics
      as
      well as the health policy group. Kentucky is a challenge...we are facing
      some $$ reductions and our citizens are among the nation's most
      unhealthy.
      On the very strongly positive side, we have been fortunate to have
      several
      CDC staff assigned to us and their presence is becoming obvious in many
      positive ways. Our new governor is a physician, Dr. Ernie Fletcher who
      was
      previously the congressman from this district of Ky. He talks about
      prevention like no governor I can recall. Our new cabinet secretary is
      Dr.
      James W. Holsinger, Jr. who was previously the chancellor for the
      University
      of Ky medical center and before that ran the VA medical system for the
      first
      President Bush. There really is a new outlook for both public health
      and
      health care delivery beginning to emerge.

      So, if any of you have any ideas about who might be interested in this
      position, please let me know. Someone who has both CDC and local or
      state
      health department operational experience makes the best person for the
      job.
      Dr. Glyn Caldwell who retired from the PHS and worked at Arizona and
      Oklahoma was Steve's predecessor. Steve had experience in Arizona and
      Colorado before coming our way.

      Thanks for considering this request. Any help any of you can give in
      putting me in touch with folks interested in this kind of work will
      certainly be appreciated.

      * NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail, including any
      attachments,
      is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
      addressed and may contain confidential information that is legally
      privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the
      reader
      of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any
      review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication
      is
      please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the