news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Jan 28, 2004
      Vice President Under Fire in Malawi

      Malawi Standard (Blantyre)

      January 28, 2004
      Posted to the web January 28, 2004

      Brian Ligomeka
      Blantyre, Malawi

      If President Bakili Muluzi drops dead today, who takes over as President? Is it Justin Malewezi, Chakufwa Chihana or a three-member Presidential Council?

      As nobody seems to have a ready answer to this question, political scientists, analysts, lawyers and religious leaders in an interview with The Malawi Standard have asked the country's Vice President Justin Malewezi who quit the ruling UDF, which sponsored him to power to resign from his position.

      But Attorney General Peter Fachi has gone an inch further by threatening that government would take Malewezi to court if he continues clinging on to vice presidency.

      Fachi says Malewezi's refusal to voluntarily resign from the post of Vice President after resigning from the ruling party was creating a Constitutional crisis.

      He says the office of the Vice President is very important and sensitive since the Vice President stands next in line of succession in case of inability of the president to perform his duties.

      For instance, Fachi cited, if President Muluzi had been incapacitated during the recent accident the Presidential convoy was involved in government could have been in a dilemma.

      "If the President was injured seriously, we could have been in a dilemma since there could have been no-one to perform the presidential duties," he observed.

      In his resignation letter, Malewezi said he was resigning from the UDF but was merely going on leave for the Vice Presidency pending retirement after handing over to whoever will be elected after the 18 May general elections.

      But Attorney General Fachi says the Vice President's move has created problems for government since he has not only resigned from the UDF but also joined an opposition party, the People's Progressive Movement where he was elected First Vice President at its convention.

      Fachi however admits that although Malawi laws are silent on the present situation government will ask the courts to interpret the situation.

      "Although laws are silent on the situation, we feel by taking such a long holiday, technically, Mr Malewezi has resigned," he says.

      But media reports have quoted Malewezi as saying he does not see any problem with his decision to take leave, which he said he deserves. He said that if important matters of state arise he could break his holiday and resume his duties.

      "I can go back to the office if need be," he said. "I have accumulated my leave days so much that if I don't take a holiday now, when will I go on leave since I will be retiring in May?" he said.

      Other observers however feel that Malewezi's resignation is in a way a betrayal of the members of the electorate who chose him.

      Reverend Sunday Makuleya , a church minister of Blantyre Synod CCAP told The Malawi Standard that although we say the office of Vice President is above party politics, it should however be remembered that Malewezi was elected as a Vice President because he stood on a UDF party ticket.

      "Members of the UDF who voted for Malewezi as Muluzi's running mate have every reason to call for the resignation of Malewezi because they voted him because he was running on the ticket of UDF. Should we claim that Malewezi is serving the president efficiently while he has defected from the ruling UDF and joined the opposition PPM?" wonders Rev. Makuleya.

      Anglican Bishop James Tengatenga echoed Reverend Makuleya's concerns and blamed the country's legislators who repealed the Recall Act. Tengatenga says that if the Recall Act was in place, the electorate would have simply recalled him.

      "In my view we have always had a problem, it's only that Malawians never noticed it in some ways. From Day One in 1994, the First Amendment of the proposed Constitution was the removal of the right of the people of Malawi to recall a Parliamentarian, if they felt that he was not serving their interests. Unfortunately we let the people defect from their parties and declared themselves independent and their independence was upheld," says Tengatenga.

      "If the Recall Act was in place, it would have been easy to use it to recall the Vice President," says Tengatenga.

      PETRA's president, Kamuzu Chibambo speaking as an independent lawyer says it will be suicidal for Malawians to rush at declaring the situation as a constitutional crisis but would rather call it party crisis.

      He however, advised that the only way of breaking the impulse is to seek the interpretation of the courts to try removing the lacunar that is in the Republican Constitution.

      He said the other way could be by simply impeaching the first vice president " but the problem is that impeachment has to be on solid grounds."

      "You see the courts can only interpret the constitution but unfortunately they can not legislate," he said.

      But the ruling UDF wants Malewezi to resign as Vice President because Article 44 of the Party Constitution stipulates that any member who voluntarily resigns should lose all the public positions he was holding because of being a UDF member.

      "Any member may resign from the party or from any position he holds in the party by notifying the Secretary General in writing.

      Upon such a member resigning, he or she shall be deemed to have resigned from all position held by the virtue of his or her membership of the party, with effect from the date of his or her resignation," reads Article 44 of the UDF Constitution.

      UDF deputy spokesperson Mary Kaphwereza Banda argues that Malewezi became Vice President because he was fielded as a running mate to Dr Bakili Muluzi on the UDF ticket.

      "Malewezi could not have been Vice President if the UDF did not sponsor him as a running mate. Even the Constitution of Malawi says the running mate in an election obviously becomes Vice President when the party that sponsors him wins an election," says Kaphwereza Banda.

      An independent political commentator describes Malewezi as an opportunist, a confusionist, a finished politician, a political chameleon, who is draining tax payers money by clinging on to the position of Vice President, when he is supposed to resign.

      "If Malewezi is a real politician who has confidence in himself, why can't he just resign outright so that he can be replaced? Why should he play politics of a confusionist by taking a controversial six months French leave?" he wonders.

      A Blantyre based John Phiri, a businessman has no kind words. Describing Malewezi as a liar, he cautions Malawians to be careful with politicians like Malewezi.

      "When he just resigned from the UDF he told the nation that he wanted to concentrate on his educational studies, but just a few days later we saw him addressing political rallies organised by PPM? Is he trying to tell the nation that he is going to get his so called PhD by addressing rallies? What has he achieved by joining PPM, a briefcase party which does not even have any representation in Parliament?" Phiri says.

      Another observer simply quizzes: "How would Malewezi in good conscience receive his hefty salary when he is just slumbering at his house without discharging government duties?"

      Like Bishop Tengatenga, the political observer says its high time the Constitutional lawyers in the country battled it in courts on what action ought to be done to a Vice President who absconds duties in the name of a six months French leave.

      "Let the courts decide what the government should do to this defector who is still chewing government money while serving the opposition," he says.ar "In my view we have alway

      *****

      Opposition Alliance a Tall Order

      Malawi Standard (Blantyre)

      January 28, 2004
      Posted to the web January 28, 2004

      Wisdom Chimgwede
      Blantyre, Malawi

      The much touted Mgwirizano Coalition, a grouping of all opposition parties in the country aimed at ousting the United Democratic Front (UDF) from power at the ballot box, has proved to be a tall order as disagreements over the choice of a presidential candidate have erupted even before the issue has been tabled.

      Bishop James Tengatenga, chairing the church led coalition talks, conceded a power struggle might tear the talks apart as some parties are saying they are bigger than the others therefore they cannot have equal representation when choosing a presidential candidate.

      "The most contentious issue is what is the parties' representation in the process of electing the president to the coalition. This is a very, very contentious issue which has sparked some controversies," said Tengatenga.

      Explained Tengatenga: "In all our discussions we've had equal representation (four representatives from each party), but there are some people who think they are bigger than others. It is these people "who are bigger than others" who want a bigger representation, but doing that is creating a loop-sided situation.

      "That is a point of contention but being contentious doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of the process you have gone through is pointless."

      The electoral criteria is a thorny issue that has now culminated into three key parties - the National Democratic alliance (NDA), Malawi Congress Party (MCP) and Movement for Genuine Democracy (Mgode) - pending their endorsement of the nine party Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU), two weeks before the opposition elect their presidential candidate.

      Tengatenga says the parties themselves made these rules but MCP claims that it was not party to the formation of the rules, arguing that some people formulated the rules and imposed on other parties.

      "We, as church people, never participated in the formulation of these conditions," Tengatenga said.

      But whether other parties are key or not, Tengatenga said in an exclusive interview, the principle is that they are all equal and the fact that the three parties could not sign the much touted document "is unfortunate and certainly disappointing."

      MCP and NDA wrote letters to the Coalition chair, stating reasons why they could not sign the Memorandum of understanding while Mgode had two contradicting letters which surprised the other politicians in the opposition camp.

      Tengatenga read the letters to the delegates at the signing ceremony.

      NDA's read in part: "We are suspicious of political undercurrents in the coalition discussions, particularly in the emerging proposals and procedures for electing a presidential candidate and running mate.

      Secondly, the draft MOU is not clear whether we're entering into a merger or an electoral alliance. We feel the process will not take Malawi's political realities into account and, as a result, we may lose a God-given opportunity to win the general election."

      The NDA feels the arrangement of having one flag, common slogan and one symbol is itself a merger a thin Tengatenga denies.

      MCP said in their letter: "A number of us do not believe that majorities at this type of effort is the basis of moving forward. We prefer consensus which takes into account circumstances of the players on the ground and the natural responses of the supporters we all represent."

      But sad still, Mgode had two letters one from the party interim Chair Du Mhango saying they will sign at a latter stage because the vehicle he was traveling in had developed a problem but the other one from Greenwell Mwamondwe clearly stating that AFORD break-away will not sign.

      However the Anglican Bishop says: "The good thing is that there is still hope that they may come back," he said, looking down trodden and disappointed.

      However, a source very close to the talks told Malawi Standard, chances of the three returning to talks are very minimal.

      Said an MCP source: "Unfortunately we are already midway negotiating a parallel coalition and we are assured of taking over government in May. We don't want someone to ride on our backs for free and when he hasn't got the numbers."

      The NDA Vice President Viva Nyimba also shares the stance. He told the press earlier before the signing ceremony that his party was "convinced that the small parties who do not even have structures on the ground are merely using the coalition to ride on the backs of the established parties to get into power."

      And all the three parties indicated in their respective letters that they were not convinced with the criteria of choosing the presidential candidate and his running mate but maintained they regard the clergy's efforts as superior and that they were willing to come back.

      Salule Masangwi, another NDA official said in a separate interview: "What we are concerned with are logistical problems. The smaller parties are rushing at thinking of a presidential candidate and running mate forgetting the electoral process."

      He denied the allegations of NDA, MCP and Mgode trying to form a parallel grouping but said efforts have reached an advanced stage for NDA and Mgode to sign a bilateral arrangement.

      He also revealed that NDA as a party are not in favour of fielding one parliamentary candidate in some constituencies saying "as a party we want to establish a power base."

      "We are of the view that every party should compete in every constituency because that's what determines your strength come parliament time," he said.

      MCP's letter also indicated that they need more time to consult and take the document for discussion at the party's National Executive Committee (NEC).

      Asked if the clergy has achieved all that they anticipated in the wake of the latest confusion, Tengatenga said: "Our purpose was to make the parties to be able to talk to each other for a common good and having six parties signing, to us that's good enough."

      However, sources also indicated that cracks are still inevitable even among the six parties who have signed the MOU.

      Masangwi indicated that the three parties are disappointed "because instead of thinking about how we can monitor the registration process to avoid rigging the small parties are rushing at sharing positions."

      "Right now I'm spending a lot of money paying monitors in my constituency and yet these people have done nothing but looking at how we shall elect a presidential candidate. That's out of question," he charged.

      Sources say that a segment of the six with support from Tengatenga are for the PPM First Vice President Justin Malewezi to run as presidential candidate which runs contrary to the agreed criterion that proposes party presidential candidates to fight for the high office.

      But the Bishop denied the allegations.

      Nonetheless, the source said that the pro-Malewezi group has assured him of their support even as an independent presidential candidate.

      But what do the six parties who signed the Memorandum say of their colleagues pulling out and calling them small.

      Kamuzu Chibambo, president of the People's Transformation Party (Petra) said the failure itself is disappointing but conceded that the three have a right to choose what they want.

      "But the greatest hope is that we shall reach a compromise because these are key parties and they have and they still are useful players in this process," he accepts.

      Harry Chiume, President of the United Party told a gathering of opposition supporters outside Mount Soche hotel in Blantyre, venue of the signing ceremony, that he doesn't care whether the three will come back or not.

      "Refusing to sign is refusing to honour your supporters. We cannot do that. We are not hungry for power," he said.

      While Malawi Democratic Party (MDP) President Kamulepo Kalua indicated that the six parties would continue with the fight with or without MCP, NDA and Mgode charging that the three will be given an ultimatum.

      He says by refusing to sign the document and referring to his party as small, just shows how greedy and power hungry other parties are.

      Republican Party president Gwanda Chakuamba argues that his party has structures across the country and cannot be described as small.

      But how small is small and how big is big?

      Of the nine parties participating in the talks, only MCP is recognized as opposition in parliament currently with 48 MPs. NDA has seven Mps six of them from UDF and Kingsley Ng'ambi from Aford. Mgode has 20 all of them defectees from the Alliance for Democracy. However both Mgode and NDA have party vote in house.

      Aleke Banda's PPM has one member of parliament, Jaan Sonke of Blantyre Kabula Constituency.

      Republican Party has about 10 of the former MCP MPs to its credit with most of the lower Shire in support of Chakuamba. While the rest of the oppostion parties are yet to establish themselves from the constituency down to branch level.

      Again, it is only MCP which has offices throughout the country, NDA has most of its offices in the south up to district level plus a regional office at the centre and in the north while Mgode claims to have taken over AFORD structures in the northern region.

      The rest still operate from their houses and company offices.

      Apart from that, only NDA and MCP have managed to field monitors in all the registration centres of the country's 193 constituencies.

      Mgode has some monitors in most of the districts in the north while PPM has a handful monitors in Aleke Banda's Nkhata Bay district.

      *****

      Chilis Prompt Elephants to Cool Their Heels

      Charles Mkoka

      BLANTYRE, Jan 16 (IPS) - Elephants and humans have long found themselves at loggerheads in Africa, and Malawi is no exception to this trend.

      Communities in the southern Machinga and Balaka districts near Liwonde National Park have seen their crops destroyed by elephants, while some people have been trampled to death. This led to the construction of a perimeter fence around the 538 square kilometre park in the early 1990's.

      However, a number of people complained that the fence prevented them from gathering wood and water in Liwonde, as they had previously done. Poachers who were trapping game and fish in the reserve also took exception to the new barrier, and the fence was vandalised. Ironically, the fence wire was used to make snares for catching animals.

      A few years later, the stance of communities surrounding the park appears to have softened, and they have joined forces with government to build a new solar-powered fence. But, villagers are also exploring a more innovative way of keeping the elephants at bay: the planting of chili pepper plants.

      Speaking from Liwonde National Park, Mathias Elisa - a Parks and Wildlife Department official who is responsible for education û said, - Observations conducted during chili production revealed that elephants keep diverting from areas where the...production is being done."

      ôElephants hate the smell of chili, especially when the stems have been burnt. It appears they...distance themselves from where the chili is growing," he added.

      The Partnership in Sustainable Natural Resource Management in Malawi, a U.S-funded group based in the commercial capital of Blantyre, has selected a number of communities to train in chili production. This follows similar ventures in South Africa and Zimbabwe, where chilis have proved effective in reducing conflict between humans and wildlife.

      The National Smallholder Farmers of Malawi organisation has also provided assistance to villagers by showing them how to space, transplant and harvest chili plants. In addition, the growers have been given information about grading, storage and marketing.

      Once harvested and graded, the chilis are sold to European countries û particularly Holland, Spain and Italy û where they are combined with paprika to make the powder used in pepper sprays.

      Records kept by Liwonde National Park show that chili sales for 2002- 2003 resulted in a profit of 1,500 dollars for adjacent communities, or about 28 dollars per household. According to the United Nations Human Development Report for 2003, almost 42 percent of Malawi's population lives below the poverty line of a dollar a day.

      Other communities near the reserve are now queuing up to join the programme. ôThe response has been overwhelming. Right now 13 new (chili growing) clubs have been established in...Machinga district," says Elisa, who coordinates chili project activities for the wildlife department.

      Njahito club, on the eastern side of Liwonde, was the star performer in chili production last year. Ten women and 19 men from this community have started growing chilis.

      Club Chairman Godfrey Mkwate says, ôWe are happy with the chili production project. Apart from reaping benefits economically through sales, the problems of elephants destroying our crops and property has also been minimised."

      Park officials hope that the chili project, in addition to smoothing human-elephant relations, will lessen the demands which locals continue to place on Liwonde's plant and animal resources. As a result of the demand for wood and other items, the reserve has already been reduced in size by 10 square kilometres to meet the needs of surrounding communities. (END/2004)

      *****

      Consultant called for Mugabe's 'removal'

      Harare

      28 January 2004 07:18

      Opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai told a court hearing his trial on Tuesday that a Canada-based political consultant had tried to convince him of the need to assassinate Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe, but denied he had in any way agreed to such a plot.

      Tsvangirai, leader of the Movement for Democratic Change, is charged with plotting to assassinate Mugabe in a case that carries the death penalty if he is convicted.

      The charges hinge on a grainy and barely audible four-and-a-half-hour video, secretly recorded in 2001 at consultant Ari Ben Menashe's Montreal offices, in which Tsvangirai is accused of calling for Mugabe's "elimination."

      Under cross examination in his long running trial, Tsvangirai said Ben Menashe spoke of the elimination of Mugabe by "sinister" means that could cause the leader harm.

      "I was really upset. The meeting was getting so tense. Mr Ben Menashe was pushing this agenda. It was my feeling that there was a sinister meaning," Tsvangirai told Judge Paddington Garwe.

      The early part of the meeting on December 4 in 2001 focused on Mugabe's exclusion from presidential elections in 2002 through a retirement deal or his possible defeat at the polls, Tsvangirai said.

      Ben Menashe had promised to lobby for international support for a new government.

      Tsvangirai said Ben Menashe then changed track, calling for the physical removal of Mugabe, and demanded his response.

      Cross examined by state attorney Bharat Patel, Tsvangirai said it was clear Ben Menashe was proposing the violent removal of Mugabe.

      Patel asked: "The sinister removal of President Mugabe was on the table. Did you think about it?"

      "Yes," replied Tsvangirai.

      But he said he did not think Mugabe's murder was an option to remove him from office. "I discussed the principle of Mugabe going, not the method," Tsvangirai said.

      Tsvangirai was charged two weeks before he ran against Mugabe in 2002 presidential elections. Mugabe narrowly won re-election in the vote, which independent observers said was swayed by intimidation and vote rigging.

      Defence attorneys argue Tsvangirai, who is free on bail, was entrapped by Ben Menashe who already was working as a consultant for the Zimbabwe government when the secret video was recorded.

      Ben Menashe, who claims to be a former Israeli intelligence agent, was acquitted by a US federal jury in 1990 of illegally arranging a $36-million deal to sell US-made military cargo planes to Iran in exchange for the release of four American hostages.

      Israel denies he did intelligence work for the country but says he served briefly as a junior clerk in its civil service.

      Ben Menashe visited Zimbabwe last week to offer to sell the government oil from Azerbaijan, government officials confirmed.

      Zimbabwe is suffering acute fuel shortages. - Sapa-AP

      *****

      UK satirist awaits fate in Zambia

      A British writer has challenged his deportation from Zambia for allegedly insulting the president.
      Roy Clarke had compared President Levy Mwanawasa to a "foolish elephant" in a satirical newspaper column.

      While his appeal was being heard, supporters of Mr Clarke clashed with ruling party activists outside the High Court.

      The BBC's Penny Dale in Lusaka says some 300 of Mr Clarke's supporters arrived at court wearing white T-shirts, on which the controversial article in The Post newspaper had been reprinted.

      But then a minibus arrived with ruling party militants, shouting: "We're here because of that stupid writer from Britain, that Roy Clarke, he insulted our president."

      They ripped up some of the T-shirts before police fired teargas to disperse them.

      Not vindictive

      Judge Philip Musonda said he would deliver his judgement in about 40 days.

      Earlier this month the High Court ordered the authorities not to deport Mr Clarke until his case has been decided by the courts.

      Mr Clarke is married to a Zambian women's rights activist and has permanent residency.

      Zambian Home Affairs Minister Ronnie Shikapwasha had originally given Mr Clarke 24 hours to leave the country.

      He said they were not seeking to deport Mr Clarke vindictively but because it was wrong for him to insult the people of Zambia by referring to the president and government ministers as animals.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22 8:06 AM

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****