Re: [ujeni] yearly update-start A and B?

  • johooper@unm.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 2003
      Hi Everyone,

      I was inspired by Eric Bone's message to also summarize my, well,
      probably my life since Peace Corps.

      After Peace Corps I sold drugs for Merck & Co. for three years after
      which point I became simultaneously interested and driven to become a
      doctor, and sufficiently fed with the pharmaceutical industry up to
      quit my job. For the last two years I have been taking classes at UNM
      in Albuquerque, volunteering, and most recently, selling ridiculously
      expensive cowboy boots that average $1000/ pair at a store here in
      Santa Fe. I am also trying to sell my house. Last year I applied to
      medical school at UNM only and ended up on the waiting list. My
      number was 24 and they got to number 23, which was quite discouraging
      of course. So, this year I have applied to many schools, hopefully
      with a better result. Of course, UNM would still be my first choice
      as I have been taking classes in their MPH program here and will be
      half way done with the program by the end of the year. The cost of
      private medical schools has also become rather prohibitive. At the
      end of the month I head off to Honduras to work on a research project
      (for the whole month of January) that we started last year basically
      investigating whether "fair trade" (or essentially paying people a
      fair living wage) has an impact on the health of children. More
      specifically, over a 5 year period we are comparing the heights and
      weights of children under 5, various income measures of the family, as
      well as interview information as to the general health and diet of the
      children in villages that sell their cashews to a co-op verses
      villages that sell their cashews regular buyers (who pay like 1/10
      what the co-op pays). It is a lot of fun trekking from household to
      household weighing and measuring the kids and interviewing the
      families. We have local guides in each village who let the families
      know we are coming the day before, and when we arrive, we find the
      families all in their best clothes and with the children very freshly
      scrubbed (many of the little girls are dressed in big frilly pink
      party dresses). The moment we leave, off come the party dresses and
      back to work and play clothes. At any rate, the Hondurans are lovely
      people and it is wonderful to have the opportunity to speak Spanish
      again.

      I hope that everyone has a wonderful holiday season!

      Joanna Hooper