yearly update-start A and B?

  • Eric Bone
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 2003
      The second-annual yearly update that Vyrle suggested a couple of weeks ago
      does not seem to have gotten rolling. I'm interested in hearing what
      everyone is up to, so I will do my part by giving a short summary of the
      year for me.

      I have spent the whole year at Brandeis University near Boston, head
      firmly buried in my dissertation. On December 5, I successfully defended
      it with a talk entitled "A Generalization of Pohlig-Hellman Simplification
      in Public Key Cryptography." Now I have finished my PhD in math and can
      move on to the working world.

      Meanwhile, Jacqui found her former job in San Francisco untenable, so she
      moved to Washington, DC, and started another job at the American Councils
      for International Education, as administrator for the Open Russian
      Ambassador's Program, which brings Russian high school students to the US
      for a year. See
      http://www.americancouncils.org/program.asp?PageID=83&ProgramID=47

      I now get to move to DC and live with my wife again after about 15 months
      of living apart. I've applied for academic, non-profit, for-profit, and
      government positions, most of which would start next summer or fall. In
      the meantime I will do an internship in science and technology policy
      in the Office of International Programs at the National Academy of
      Science. See
      http://www7.nationalacademies.org/internship/

      My new contact info will be
      6225 Split Creek Lane
      Alexandria, VA 22312
      703-212-7326
      edbone95@...

      Now I hope to get a flood of similar updates. Consider yourself
      challenged.

      -Eric Bone
    • johooper@unm.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 22, 2003
        Hi Everyone,

        I was inspired by Eric Bone's message to also summarize my, well,
        probably my life since Peace Corps.

        After Peace Corps I sold drugs for Merck & Co. for three years after
        which point I became simultaneously interested and driven to become a
        doctor, and sufficiently fed with the pharmaceutical industry up to
        quit my job. For the last two years I have been taking classes at UNM
        in Albuquerque, volunteering, and most recently, selling ridiculously
        expensive cowboy boots that average $1000/ pair at a store here in
        Santa Fe. I am also trying to sell my house. Last year I applied to
        medical school at UNM only and ended up on the waiting list. My
        number was 24 and they got to number 23, which was quite discouraging
        of course. So, this year I have applied to many schools, hopefully
        with a better result. Of course, UNM would still be my first choice
        as I have been taking classes in their MPH program here and will be
        half way done with the program by the end of the year. The cost of
        private medical schools has also become rather prohibitive. At the
        end of the month I head off to Honduras to work on a research project
        (for the whole month of January) that we started last year basically
        investigating whether "fair trade" (or essentially paying people a
        fair living wage) has an impact on the health of children. More
        specifically, over a 5 year period we are comparing the heights and
        weights of children under 5, various income measures of the family, as
        well as interview information as to the general health and diet of the
        children in villages that sell their cashews to a co-op verses
        villages that sell their cashews regular buyers (who pay like 1/10
        what the co-op pays). It is a lot of fun trekking from household to
        household weighing and measuring the kids and interviewing the
        families. We have local guides in each village who let the families
        know we are coming the day before, and when we arrive, we find the
        families all in their best clothes and with the children very freshly
        scrubbed (many of the little girls are dressed in big frilly pink
        party dresses). The moment we leave, off come the party dresses and
        back to work and play clothes. At any rate, the Hondurans are lovely
        people and it is wonderful to have the opportunity to speak Spanish
        again.

        I hope that everyone has a wonderful holiday season!

        Joanna Hooper